Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

TRAFFICSTAR owners : advantages and disavantages of anodized lips

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-07, 07:43 AM
dle
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TRAFFICSTAR owners : advantages and disavantages of anodized lips

I was wondering what your experiences were with the anodized lips on trafficstar wheels. What have been the advantages and disadvantages of anodized finishes you have noticed verses chrome lips/ polished lips? How is maintenance different versus other finishes?

The reason I ask is because i have friends with polished lip wheels (ie HRE) and after having them for 2 years, the once bright shiny finish has gone completely dull and looks absolutely horrible!
Old 02-21-07, 08:39 AM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

This thread might be able to provide you with some answers

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...light=anodized
Old 02-21-07, 09:18 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

funny i had hre and now trafficstar.

anyway, with hre, i will only recommend polished lips with NO clearcoat. clearcoat over time will get dull and yellow imho, and there is almost nothing you can do to restore it unless you strip it and recoat ($$$). when i had my hre, i only had it polished. good thing is you can always polish it to as shiny as you want. however a big big downside is brake dust WILL eat into the finish, especially if you have bbk. and you will need to polish even harder to get them out. that could be fun the first few times around, but it's pretty tiring. another good thing is that if you get any minor curb rash or scratches, you can sand and buff that out relatively easily.

i have trafficstar now with anodized lips. omg do i love the maintenance. i can go months without car wash and as soon as i hose and wipe, it's all clean. very very easy to maintain and never a problem. down side is once it's damaged, it's gone, you don't even want to consider "refinishing" it. no chemicals in cleaning them for sure, most of those "wheel cleaners" out there, they have chemicals to clean out the brake dust, and they are the biggest enemies for the anodized finish. also if you get curb rash, good bye to the finish.

your final choice is really up to what you want, the pros and cons are above. to me, i guess age is catching up quick, i have had both and i am very happy with my trafficstar now