Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

BLIZZAK WS-50 sizing question.. OEM lexus GS 17s skinniest i can go?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-06, 10:46 AM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default BLIZZAK WS-50 sizing question.. OEM lexus GS 17s skinniest i can go?

hey guys, ive got GS400 stock 17s and i need a set of blizzak ws-50s for them.... when i go to tire rack to select sizing and to order, the only thing it comes up with is the 235/45/17. i know thats standard size (and the tirerack guy i spoke with refused to talk with me about anything other then the exact recommended size) but i wanted to know if i could safely run any skinnier size...like a 225/50/17 or 215s...etc.. whats the width of these 17s anyone know? is it 7? 7.5 or 8?.. dont know, havent checked, the wheels are in storage right now and i wont be hauling them out until the tires show up... skinner tires work better in the snow, i know from experience with these same tires on a set of 16in stock lex wheels as well as all the info on TR's website.. and on top of that the pricing on the skinnier blizzaks drops by like $30 a tire in some cases depending on which one you pick.. so basically without making it look like ive got the sick stretch going on with these stock 17s, or compromising performance..whats the skinniest setup i can get for these?

heres a pic of the wheel im talking about
Old 12-11-06, 10:56 AM
LEXSOOS
Lexus Test Driver

I think you can go with

225x45x17
or
215x50x17

I'm running 235x45x17 winter Dunlops and i survived last Chicago snow storm just fine. I dont see any reason why would you like to go 225 or 215 other than price, but its not like going down to 225/215 will make whole world of difference.
I paid $128.xx per tire, what is the cost for blizzaks?
Old 12-11-06, 12:04 PM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LEXSOOS
I think you can go with

225x45x17
or
215x50x17

I'm running 235x45x17 winter Dunlops and i survived last Chicago snow storm just fine. I dont see any reason why would you like to go 225 or 215 other than price, but its not like going down to 225/215 will make whole world of difference.
I paid $128.xx per tire, what is the cost for blizzaks?

youre right, it wont make a WORLD of difference at all. but like i said, the skinner the tire the better it handles in the snow. so if you can buy a skinner one and have it fit fine, and its cheaper, why not?

the ws-50 in 235/45/17 are $147 and the 215/50/17 is $134 each... but... now that i JUST went and checked its not as significant of a savings per tire as it was (had not checked again right before i posted this)... i looked JUST last week and the 235/45/17s were almost $170 each guess they went down..

the main reason i was trying to stay as skinny as possible with the new tires is because i had the blizzak ws-50s on a set of stock 16s last winter..it handled decent for a rwd car in the snow lol..but i wouldnt want it to get much worse.. when it starts snowing really bad here in upstate ny i just take my other car out, but id like to be able to move this thing if i have to. anyone ever heard of the michelin x-ice?
Old 12-11-06, 06:06 PM
Tranman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a set of Blizzak LM-25s on 17" OEM rims with 225/45/17.
Old 12-11-06, 09:28 PM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Tranman
I have a set of Blizzak LM-25s on 17" OEM rims with 225/45/17.

how did the LM's work out for you in the snow last season? they dont have as much bite for the ice/snow as the WS's ive heard... theyre supposedly gearded more towards being able to last a little longer and handle better in dry conditions... i really need the best snow performance i can get sometimes it gets real stupid where i live.
Old 12-12-06, 06:41 AM
Tranman

Originally Posted by upstateGS4
how did the LM's work out for you in the snow last season? they dont have as much bite for the ice/snow as the WS's ive heard... theyre supposedly gearded more towards being able to last a little longer and handle better in dry conditions... i really need the best snow performance i can get sometimes it gets real stupid where i live.
Well, I've never used a set of the WS-50's...but I did have a set of the LM-22's for the past three seasons. They worked very well for me here in Cleveland especially with the amount of snow that we get here due to lake effect. The only concern I had with the WS's was the "squirmy" feeling that some people on tirerack had talked about...probably due from being used to have a performance tire.

I would say that check out tirerack's website for reviews...they are very comprehensive and you'll be able to pick a good tire from there.
Old 12-12-06, 08:35 AM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Tranman
Well, I've never used a set of the WS-50's...but I did have a set of the LM-22's for the past three seasons. They worked very well for me here in Cleveland especially with the amount of snow that we get here due to lake effect. The only concern I had with the WS's was the "squirmy" feeling that some people on tirerack had talked about...probably due from being used to have a performance tire.

I would say that check out tirerack's website for reviews...they are very comprehensive and you'll be able to pick a good tire from there.
yeah man, thats pretty much how i found the ws-50 years ago.. reading everything from their site and everyones feedback...ive been using that same tire on all my cars for a long time.. i was thinking about trying the lm's i just didnt want to give up any snow performance since i dont care about taking it easy on the roads when its dry out during the winter season... no doubt that squirmy feel is legit on dry pavement- definitely a drawback for some..the tires are super "mushy" which is a huge part of why they bite the ice so well.. did the one set of LM's last you all three seasons?
Old 12-14-06, 06:21 AM
93illini
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by upstateGS4
... anyone ever heard of the michelin x-ice?
Yes - driven them on a friend's MB (dry conditions only). They are rated pretty well along with the Nokian Haaka RSIs within the "studdless snow & ice cat. Supposedly the WS-50 is getting lapped in technology, so Bridgestone restaged the tire to the REVO 1 (don't know if there has been any significant tech improvement).

I'm going with the Michelins on my AWD IS. Don't get as much snow as you, but since I'm going with two sets of tires/wheels - might as well make the snows count.