Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

AKEBONO: Ceramic Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-06, 08:47 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up AKEBONO: Ceramic Brake Pads

Just placed an order for a front & rear set of these knowing just how horrifyingly dusty BMW pads are!
After countless online research, and talking with a few shops, I ordered a set for my 7 Series Bimmer.

ProACT CERAMIC BRAKE PADS

* Increased safety and comfort
* Ultra-quiet
* Enhanced durability
* Low dusting

Of course I will give you all a full testing result after they get mounted up next weekend and after a few days or so of driving.
Until then, here's more info:
(other domestic and asian import applications are available)

http://www.akebonobrakes.com/afterma...uro/index.html

http://www.akebonobrakes.com/afterma...ads/index.html

Old 09-09-06, 08:53 AM
subparrnd
Pole Position

I just received the shipping confirmation from Tire Rack for my set. I'm looking forward to getting these on my car. Eventhough I only have 26000 miles on my 2002 GS3. I also got the stainless brake lines too. I had a set of those on my 12 sec Mustang and they made all the difference in the world. Try to report back when I get them installed.

Homer
Old 09-10-06, 12:15 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by OLP
Do you guys know that Akebono is the OEM supplier for Lexus Brake pads? LOLLLLLLLLLLLL
Yes, according to Akebono USA web site:
http://www.akebonobrakes.com/oem/index.html
Akebono's OEM customers include: General Motors, Ford Motor Company, DaimlerChrysler, Honda, Toyota, Mitsubishi Motors, Mazda, Nissan, Subaru and Isuzu.
I have Akebono ProAct Ceramic on both front and rear for my RX, they have low dust, good bite across temperature range and no noise.
There are always mis-informed folks who believe genuine Toyota/Lexus parts are 100% made by Toyota. One particular member even blatantly posted Akebono may be true OEM for Ford & GM, but not Toyota/Lexus. Talk about putting down Lexus' supplier while not even knowing Akebono designs the OEM pads that are factory installed at Lexus
Old 09-10-06, 10:48 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

They actually are the OEM supplier for several manufaturers. Your point?
I was just informing the fact that I'm trying their relatively new ceramic line.
Old 09-10-06, 02:36 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TXSTYLE
They actually are the OEM supplier for several manufaturers. Your point?
I was just informing the fact that I'm trying their relatively new ceramic line.
My point is Akebono makes great pad with equal or better quality than OEM. But there are always people who blindly buy Lexus/Toyota branded sparts without knowing who really make them. I bet if Toyota offers Lexus branded air, they fork over $ and sniff that stuff all day long and swear it prolongs their lives by >20 years.
BTW, in RX300's case, I believe 99 and 00 have semi-metallic pad, later years Lexus switched to ceramic by Akebono.
Old 09-11-06, 07:19 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Keep in mind that this for a BMW 745i and if you know anything about bimmers, then you realize how horribly dusty their oem pads are. Ao for me it's probably not a waste. Thank you... and good day.
Old 09-15-06, 10:44 PM
SSK0771
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had Akebono Ceremic pads on SC430 for over a year and here's my opinion about them.

Pros: Very very low dust. Lasts very long.

Cons: After about 6 months, they squeak on and off. Has less intial bite than stock.

Over all, they are pretty good pads but the squeak is little annoying.

FYI. I put the pads on with BRAND NEW brembo x-drilled/slotted rotors. I have them on both front and rear.
Old 09-16-06, 07:33 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks for that review!
I have read very similar reviews online. I will also be using cross-drilled & slotted rotors.
I can deal with an occassional squeak to protect my chrome shoes. If it gets too annoying, I'll just spray it with an occassional squeak-stop.
Old 10-04-06, 09:14 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

***UPDATE***

These brakes are one of the BEST mods (and there has been tons) I have ever made to ANY of my vehicles!!!

I spen the entire day Saturday driving around with the family and racked up @ 100 miles of stop and go traffic. When I tell you there was hardly ANY dust, I am totally serious. And what's even more incredible is the fact that European pads are known for being extra-soft and thus all the excessive dusting BUT they also happen to brake phenominally! So when I realized that the pedal response was near identical, I wondered what the results would be? Nothing short of amazement!
I have used: EBC, HAWK, and Axxis aftermarket pads on a host of cars. These AKEBONOS blow them right out of the stratosphere.
Do yourself a big favor and get these... NOW!

Your rims will thank you.
Old 10-04-06, 01:46 PM
Flipsonic
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does Akebono make pads for the 2IS? If so, where can I get a set?