Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Anquish over new tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-06, 04:08 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anquish over new tires

It is well past time for new tires. I've been putting that decision off for some time now but I finally have to do it.

I kept thinking about about these three: Pilot Sport (what I have now), Eagle F1 GS-D3, or the Pilot Sport PS2.

I've heard nothing but wonderful things about the PS2 and have had good luck with Michelin but one thing really bothered me. The tread pattern. Now I'm not really a fan of bling but c'mon... It doesn't look that great. Last bit of performance or???

The Eagle F1 had me interested because of the C&D review noting that it was tops in the wet and very close to the top in the dry. Nice tread pattern and cheaper than the Michelins. But I didn't really know how it would stick in the dry vs. the Michelin.

The "plain old" Pilot Sport is what I've been riding on for the last several years. I know it, like the wet and dry handling and can live with the noise and tread pattern. The price is *ugh* though vs. the Eagle.

Sooo... I finally decided. Like I do at some restaurants I decided that when I find something I like I'll stick with it. I'm getting new Pilot Sports!

Too many unknowns on the other tires and too few folks I know that I trust that run these tires for me to decide any other way. I guess I should have gone with the "sure thing" upgrade of the PS2 but if it ain't broke.

My wallet should be much lighter later this week when they get installed and my car should be that much happier to get the hardened globs of vulcanized steel off and fresh new sticky rubber on.
Old 07-24-06, 04:11 PM
juniorsdad
Lead Lap

have you read this yet....?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=221625
Old 07-24-06, 05:56 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Originally Posted by juniorsdad
I did and thats good for one data point.
Old 08-23-06, 03:53 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

FWIW...

I ended up with the "regular" Pilot Sports and am delighted with the tires. The ride on the new tires makes the old Pilot Sports seem like old hard cracked rubber pieces of junk. Seriously... I have had multiple people that I go to lunch with mention how much quieter the car is and they can see the improved traction when we corner

I'm completely delighted with them, just like I was when I put the first set on, and haven't thought twice about the Goodyears. The PS2 are probably a bit better but honestly I simply hated the look of the PS2 tread pattern.
Old 08-27-06, 03:31 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

the PS2's rock the socks off the old PS in terms of performance, wet weather, and just about everything else...

there is a night and day difference with them new, and when old, compared side to side... they don't look as cool, but they definitely perform way better...
Old 08-27-06, 03:58 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
the PS2's rock the socks off the old PS in terms of performance, wet weather, and just about everything else...

there is a night and day difference with them new, and when old, compared side to side... they don't look as cool, but they definitely perform way better...
This thread reminds me of the same agony I went through recently. I have Pilot Sport AS on my SC300. Been on the car 3 years coming this Dec. For the G35, I wanted the same tires but was also curious about the rumors of the PS2's being an improvement. But the tread pattern is plain. Really plain. Well, I went for them anyway. They grip like a set of pliers. Noise level is low but so were the Pilot Sports when new. I sorta wish I had gone with old reliable but I ain't complianing.
Old 08-29-06, 12:14 AM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was going to get the PS2's but they do not make them in the size I needed. I had the GS-D3's before and was not impressed. I ended up with Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Pole Position's and after a month + of driving I love these tires.
Old 08-30-06, 02:33 PM
Brandon@TR
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One thing I like about the RE 050A PP is that at the limit it is very responsive. It tells you right where it is and the break is consistant and there is a lot of feedback. Right before the point of no return there is a little peak and then it's hasta la vista baby!

Last edited by Brandon@TR; 08-30-06 at 02:39 PM.
Old 08-30-06, 05:25 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Brandon@TR
One thing I like about the RE 050A PP is that at the limit it is very responsive. It tells you right where it is and the break is consistant and there is a lot of feedback. Right before the point of no return there is a little peak and then it's hasta la vista baby!
Sidewalls are stiff. Handling has been very predictable. Traction has been impressive. I was roasting the old tires from rolling starts [fun and impressive looking] - now there's a quiet squeak and the car launches hard.