Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Pirelli P Zero Nero MS, not happy at all!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-06, 07:54 PM
Panerai127
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Pirelli P Zero Nero MS, not happy at all!!

I bought a set of the Pz ero Nero's MS 7 months ago, I have 7/32 on the back and 8/32 on the front now on them. At first I was happy, they were quiet, handled good. But now they are noisy and I feel them espacialy when I come to a stop, there is a hum that is very ennoying. I have them mounted on origional 17" wheels but decided to go wider to 245/45/17. I am so unhappy with these tires. I read all these reviews how great they are but I disagree. My car has 95k miles on it. I also heard that GS does not like thick paterns on the tires. That is why they sell Turanza Ls-z as a OEM for this car, but it is expensive. I wanted to get it at first but then reading reviews on the P Zero's went with them. I read nothing but good things about Turansa LS-Z's. I read that Pilot's are noisy also. I have Conti's ExtremeContact's on my Maxima SE 215/55/16 and they have about 20k miles on them and they are far more better in every way then my P Zero's. They are so quiet, great in rain and dry roads. I should have went with them. But them I read on TR that people had problems with them on GS's. I will contact TR to get them replaced for other tires.

So which tire has least amount of noise and good ride quality and good performance. Noise is the biggest concern for me since this car is so smooth and as I hear is very **** about rough patern tires?

I read that Khumo Ecsta ASX are great in all these qualities and is $89 per tire

Then Bridgestone RE050A are on sale for $98 per tile right now, were $167, and reviews are good and everyone says they are quiet.

Conti's ContiExtremeContact $127 per tire

I would go with Turanza LS-Z but they are $220 per tire and I will sell car in 1 year.

So does anyone has any idea why I have problems with P Zero's and does anyone has same problems and what people might suggest for me to buy. I do not need Max or Extreme performance. I drive most hwy and city at 40 mph and I need quiet not noisy ride with good performance.
Old 07-12-06, 10:59 PM
mole
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know just about nothing about tires, but am learning. I have heard the falken azenis are good tires but I dont see them in your size on the site I listed here.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...%2FPerformance

I have also heard the bridgestones are nice and at that price, would probably do that before doing anything else.
Old 07-13-06, 04:04 AM
e-diddy
Lead Lap

I also thought about the Pirelli P Zero Nero MS a few months back when I was searching for tires. Almost purchased them. After inquiring with a few of the members on here, I decided to go with the Toyo Proxes T1R. Great tire all around so far. Could not be happier.
Attached Thumbnails Pirelli P Zero Nero MS, not happy at all!!-tr1.jpg  
Old 07-13-06, 06:53 AM
DjFergi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm having the same problems with my P-Zeros. Unfortunately, the tires are too new to be replaced. When I first bought the tires, they were great. As I slowly put some mileage on them, the noise increased.

The ride however is still better than the Michelins I had.
Old 07-13-06, 11:55 AM
Panerai127
Lead Lap

DJFergi, thank you. I thought I was the only one. New they were good now 5k miles later they are the noisiest tires I have owned, and the most expensive, how funny is that. I have 20k miles on my ContiExtremeContact's and they are so quiet more supperior on rain and they are on my Maxima SE 215/55/16.. I am so unhappy. I bought Lexus to be a nice quiet luxury ride and now these tires spoil my Lexus experience or me and you are just too picky and this noise would be ok for most, but I doubt.. Should have bought Conti's or Yoko's Avid H4's, both were so much better, since I do not race or take corners 80 mph, Grand Touring or Max performance tires would do just fine.. Pissed off..
Old 07-13-06, 12:47 PM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I got the Kumho Ecsta Asx on my car and I couldn't be more happy with them. Not noisy at all I got about 8000 miles on them and no problems at all. Same as the first day when I put them on. I also went with oem size on my stock 17"s. I suggest looking into the Kumho, great tire for an awesome price.
Old 07-15-06, 11:59 PM
SSK0771
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

No matter what Kumho tire you get, they are alway best bang for the buck.

I had P-Zero also I my Z before and I felt that the side wall are too soft. I was not really impressed with them.

Another tire I used before was Dunlope Sport Maxx and I think they were one of best tires I used if not the best.
Old 07-17-06, 09:38 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by e-diddy
I also thought about the Pirelli P Zero Nero MS a few months back when I was searching for tires. Almost purchased them. After inquiring with a few of the members on here, I decided to go with the Toyo Proxes T1R. Great tire all around so far. Could not be happier.

One of the reasons that we recommend the Toyo, for years now (back to the T1-S) we have had great all around sucess with Toyo. The Pirelli's tend to also be softer and can develop bubbles on hard impacts.
Old 07-19-06, 09:50 AM
silky
Driver School Candidate

I have had the same complaint about the "ride" of my 98 gs400 with the 17" oem rims. I have the Yoko Avid H4S now (245/45/17) and they are only OK. I've read hundreds of posts here and in other forums and my current thinking is this:

1. Grand Touring tires are generally quieter / smoother than any level of Performance tires.
2. The lower the sidewall (ie. 40 and 45 series tires) the harsher the ride. Lexus owners with 16" 55 series tires don't complain about their ride quality. I saw one GS with a 60 series tire even. If you are a performance oriented driver, the higher profile tires will not do what you want.

So now I am thinking about a Turanza LS-V in a 225/50/17 or even a LS-Z in a 235/50/17 as my next tire. I have a set of 16" rims and feel that my problems would surely go away if I put them back on and got a 225/55/16. But I like the 17's. I realize that a 50 series tire on 17's is out of spec and many vendors including Tirerack will not sell tires out of spec. But some dealers will. I'd try a 225/55/17 if I could but I think that's just too tall.

I hope some real tire gurus comment on this.
Old 07-19-06, 12:10 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had Pzero nero ms 245/40/18s on my GS430 for about a year and a half (7k miles) and they are very comfortable and quiet, and that was coming from 16s.

I will agree they have pretty soft sidewall though.
Old 07-19-06, 07:44 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by silky
I have had the same complaint about the "ride" of my 98 gs400 with the 17" oem rims. I have the Yoko Avid H4S now (245/45/17) and they are only OK. I've read hundreds of posts here and in other forums and my current thinking is this:

1. Grand Touring tires are generally quieter / smoother than any level of Performance tires.
2. The lower the sidewall (ie. 40 and 45 series tires) the harsher the ride. Lexus owners with 16" 55 series tires don't complain about their ride quality. I saw one GS with a 60 series tire even. If you are a performance oriented driver, the higher profile tires will not do what you want.

So now I am thinking about a Turanza LS-V in a 225/50/17 or even a LS-Z in a 235/50/17 as my next tire. I have a set of 16" rims and feel that my problems would surely go away if I put them back on and got a 225/55/16. But I like the 17's. I realize that a 50 series tire on 17's is out of spec and many vendors including Tirerack will not sell tires out of spec. But some dealers will. I'd try a 225/55/17 if I could but I think that's just too tall.

I hope some real tire gurus comment on this.
Great comments. I've often thought about 225/50/17 or even 225/55/17. I've also thought about 225/60/16 for my winter set. I realize that it will throw off the speedometer, but I don't care, as long as there's no rubbing. Comfort is my primary concern. I would gladly sacrifice performance for comfort. I would love to see a set of 17s with 225/55/17 to see what they look like. That would make for a great ride.
Old 07-24-06, 10:57 AM
Panerai127
Lead Lap

Yea.. I should have bought Khumos Ecsta ASX everyone says they are quiet.. and could have saved some money.. But Turanza LS-Z is probably the best quietest tire for this car and it will last a long time.. but they are expensive.. I am thinking of selling my GS and get a Bimmer again.. Lexus fit and finish just does not measure up to Bimmer or Benz, and it is to isolated from the road and road feel is not their, it is just a big fast boat that can go straight fast.. It is not fun to drive at all.. I mean it is reliable and all, but I have more problems with it then my 3 Acura's I had in the past, I mean they arre not big but very enoying..
Old 11-16-06, 03:08 PM
lexusnutt
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts
Thumbs down P Zero Nero's are one big ZERO!

I too recently bought the P Zero Nero's based on the "rave" reviews at Tire Rack. I bought them for $79.00 each.... a good deal or so I thought.

From day one, they've been noisy at all speeds and the ride is pretty stiff (OK, I know, they're high performance). They do of course handle well.

Basically, it's money down the toilet. I'm stuck with them for years unless I can get the ***** to drum up 1000 bucks for new Michelins.

Live and learn.....