Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

New Wheels but Major Rubbing

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-06, 10:01 AM
49GS400
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy New Wheels but Major Rubbing

Hey guys. Just put on my new wheels but im having some major rubbing on the driver front tire. When I left the shop I wasnt rubbing but I guess my new springs (daizen) and shocks (ltuned) settled a little cause the next day I was experience major rubbing but only on the drivers side wheel.

Today I checked it out and I totally ripped up that plastic wheel liner on that side. But it doesnt look like its rubbing the fender. My question is can I just take out that whole liner and just run that side bare? Will I have issues with water on the engine, water in back of the head lights, etc?

Im hoping this is all I have to modify without rolling (not sure if this can be done anymore since the liner is torn) or shaving.
Old 06-11-06, 10:10 AM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I have no idea about this area but maybe the CL gang can help me out...isn't this the case where people roll their fenders so they can create a lil more space for the wheel to clear?
Old 06-11-06, 10:35 AM
smuv gs3
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 49IS300
Hey guys. Just put on my new wheels but im having some major rubbing on the driver front tire. When I left the shop I wasnt rubbing but I guess my new springs (daizen) and shocks (ltuned) settled a little cause the next day I was experience major rubbing but only on the drivers side wheel.

Today I checked it out and I totally ripped up that plastic wheel liner on that side. But it doesnt look like its rubbing the fender. My question is can I just take out that whole liner and just run that side bare? Will I have issues with water on the engine, water in back of the head lights, etc?

Im hoping this is all I have to modify without rolling (not sure if this can be done anymore since the liner is torn) or shaving.
Dont take out the liner cause you will get water and debris on the inside take a look at how filthy and dirty the liner is ,that will be inside your engine compartment eventually with no liner there, Maybe if you turn your wheel all the way to the right and stick you hand in there you can feel the liner and wheel touch then remove the wheel and get a heat gun to heat the liner to the point were it is soft and reshape it by pushing it back as far as possible for more clearance this should work because after all the liner is made of plastic anyway
Old 06-11-06, 10:44 AM
smuv gs3
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tiguy99
I have no idea about this area but maybe the CL gang can help me out...isn't this the case where people roll their fenders so they can create a lil more space for the wheel to clear?
Good to see youre still around for a moment I thought the gods of CL might have banished you to HALOGENVILLE, USA to live in exile never to touch another d2s bulb again for the rest of your life hahaha just joking sup lol ,Im still turning heads with the light show
Old 06-11-06, 11:29 AM
49GS400
Lead Lap

I dont think I'll be able to reshape the liner anymore since its torn.
Old 06-11-06, 12:07 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what is the size of the tire and offset on the wheel? You may need to go down a tire size, so if you are running 245-35-20 now go down to a 235-35-20 and see if that helps. If it is rubbing bad enough to tear the liner it may be the offset is not good for the GS. I wouldnt remove the fender liner though
Old 06-11-06, 01:33 PM
49GS400
Lead Lap

Im running 245/35/20 in the front. The shop actually pulled the liner up a little so that it doesnt rub. Cause the right side is fine. I dont think they did it enough on the drivers side though. I dont really want to go through the hassle of picking up another set of fronts. Seems like more hassle than shaving. If worse comes to worse I'll do that though.

Does any one know if I'll have to buy a new liner or am I able to wing this with what I've got?
Old 06-11-06, 01:41 PM
Lettuce
Lexus Champion

Im running 245/35/20 in the front. The shop actually pulled the liner up a little so that it doesnt rub. Cause the right side is fine. I dont think they did it enough on the drivers side though. I dont really want to go through the hassle of picking up another set of fronts. Seems like more hassle than shaving. If worse comes to worse I'll do that though.

Does any one know if I'll have to buy a new liner or am I able to wing this with what I've got?
what is the rim size and offset??
Old 06-11-06, 04:11 PM
TeeLex
Lexus Champion

I would curious, too, as to what rim size and offset you have. I'm running 20 X 9 +38 Lowenhart BR5s with 245/35/20 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires and I have very little rubbing ( mainly only when in reverse and steering wheel to full left ). At this time I have not rolled or shaved my front fenders either.
Old 06-11-06, 04:51 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Make sure to talk to me at the BOS meet.

I've done way to many liner mods to count.

There are several things that need to be done on the liner, but which mod all depends on your tire size, wheel offset, and how low you are.

It's not going to be easy to give you a simple answer without knowing all these details.

I can show you several local members with the fender mods we've done.

No time to explain here at length since I am very busy getting ready for the upcoming meet.

Since you are attending the meet, just come talk to me next week.
Old 06-11-06, 04:53 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Slap some 30 series up front and 25 series in the rear.
Old 06-11-06, 05:47 PM
49GS400
Lead Lap

Sorry guys. It would have helped if i gave you more info. Im running Iforged wheels. Wheels are 20x8.5 in the front and 20x10 in the back. I didnt expect to be rubbing either since when I ordered the wheels they were made to fit with minimal fender mods. I dont know the offset since Iforged does not provide that info.

Tires are Falken FK-452 245/35/20. My suspension is L-tuned shocks and Daizen Springs 1.9" f/1.7"r. Just got everything put in about 2 days ago. I dont even think the springs settled all the way through yet.
Old 06-11-06, 11:42 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Sorry guys. It would have helped if i gave you more info. Im running Iforged wheels. Wheels are 20x8.5 in the front and 20x10 in the back. I didnt expect to be rubbing either since when I ordered the wheels they were made to fit with minimal fender mods. I dont know the offset since Iforged does not provide that info.

Tires are Falken FK-452 245/35/20. My suspension is L-tuned shocks and Daizen Springs 1.9" f/1.7"r. Just got everything put in about 2 days ago. I dont even think the springs settled all the way through yet.
i think you are rubbing the edge of the fender lining, that's pretty common. just come to BOS meet this coming sat and we can give you some guideline on what to fix. pretty simple steps
Old 06-12-06, 09:17 AM
49GS400
Lead Lap

Yes Rom, thats where Im rubbing. Yesterday I tried pushing the liner up out of the way, it helped a little. I rub on bumps, when im driving downhill, turning right, and a lot on the freeway. For now I'll just take it easy til Saturday. Thanks for everyones input.
Old 06-12-06, 11:04 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Yes Rom, thats where Im rubbing. Yesterday I tried pushing the liner up out of the way, it helped a little. I rub on bumps, when im driving downhill, turning right, and a lot on the freeway. For now I'll just take it easy til Saturday. Thanks for everyones input.
you see the two tabs at 10 and 2 oclock position? you need to bend them up. but first take off teh fender flap and put them behind the tabs, so when you push themup you kinda "cramp" the fender flaps. that will help too

and then you can use heat gun to heat and push up the rest of the fender flap