Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?
View Poll Results: Which Wheel?
AZA Z-9
36.00%
EXEL E-22
36.00%
NEX-O GB-5
32.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Help me pick a wheel PLEASE i'm torn!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-06, 01:00 PM
BiGLeX 400
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Help me pick a wheel PLEASE i'm torn!

Got my car last week and I noticed it needs new tires. The highway ride is a little bumpy. The car is a 97' LS400 Coach Edition. I decided since i'm spending money on tires I should upgrade to 18" wheels and get tires at the same time. I have picked out three wheels with my wife and we are working on a under than $1000 budget. I wanted the wheel to look big, bold, and unoffensive on the Lex.

#1 AZA Z9

#2 EXEL E-22

#3 NEX-O GB-5

What offset would you recommend 35 or 45?

Tire size?

Thanks in advance for all of your help.
Old 06-01-06, 01:16 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

#3. The big lip fad is fading...
Old 06-01-06, 01:55 PM
BiGLeX 400
Driver

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
#3. The big lip fad is fading...

!?!REALLY!?!

The look has been around since the muscle car era, i've always been very fond of it on rwd cars.
I think on bimmers for example is the only way to go. Just my opinion.

I think #3 is growing on me but #2 has a jewel like quality that appeals to me. I wish I could see them on the car.
Old 06-01-06, 01:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

You'll probably have fewer potential problems if you stay with the stock wheels but if you are determined you want aftermarkets, get #3.

You also complained about the ride being bumpy. Generally the bigger the wheels and the lower the tire profile, the bumpier the ride will be....and the quicker the steering response.
Old 06-01-06, 03:25 PM
BiGLeX 400
Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You'll probably have fewer potential problems if you stay with the stock wheels but if you are determined you want aftermarkets, get #3.

You also complained about the ride being bumpy. Generally the bigger the wheels and the lower the tire profile, the bumpier the ride will be....and the quicker the steering response.
Yeah I know that's why I want no bigger than 18's. I believe the bumpiness right now is attributed to the poor shape of the tires I have right now. What is the highest profile I could put on an 18"? I don't want anything super low, i've always preferred a lot of meat on my tires.
Old 06-01-06, 04:11 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i don't like any of them.

on a LS400?

not my thing to go for big flashy wheels on a car like that. but if you must, #3 would look the cleanest.
Old 06-01-06, 04:56 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Can you really get 18" wheels and tires for $1000? Or is that for wheels only?

If you're concerned about the ride, PLEASE do not skimp on the tires. Get a decent touring tire from a reputable, brand name tire manufacturer. This will make or break the ride quality of the set-up. Also, cheap tires tend to not be as round or as balanced as quality tires, so there may be issues balancing the tires and you may experiece some vibration or feedback through the steering wheel with the cheapos. Not exactly "Lexus-like."

Just last night I saw a new Mercedes E500 with 19" chrome Brabus replica wheels and no-name tires (I work in the wheel business and I had never heard of the tires!). It shocks me that anybody who would spend $58K on a car like the Benz would cheap-out and buy this crap. Honestly... the car would ride and look better on the stock wheels. Maybe I am getting old and cranky.

Word to the wise on the wheels; all of those wheels will undoubtedly be 'universal fit,' which means the center bore is not a perfect fit for your Lexus. Insist that the shop install the correct "hub centric rings" so the wheels will center-up on the hubs when they are installed. If the guy at the shop doesn't know what you're talking about when you mention this... "RUN Forest, run!"

I'm not crazy about any of these wheels for the LS... I guess I'd go for the mesh on a car like the LS.
Old 06-01-06, 05:40 PM
BiGLeX 400
Driver

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
Can you really get 18" wheels and tires for $1000? Or is that for wheels only?

I'm not crazy about any of these wheels for the LS... I guess I'd go for the mesh on a car like the LS.
The wheels are going to be 550-600 for all 4 and the tires will be around 400-500. I plan on getting the best tires I can because I can't stand POS tires, I know better.

Seems like wheels on the LS isn't as well recieved as I would have liked.

Some say stock wheels, others don't like any of the wheels I picked.

What would you guys do for $1000? Honestly, I could do much worse. Tell me what you guys think looks good. I've had a BMW, Acura, and now a Lexus so maybe the Lexus owner's idea of tasteful isn't something i'm used to. If money was no object I would put BBS's on and not give it a second thought.
Old 06-01-06, 06:31 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts
Default ...

I vote for the Exel's
Old 06-01-06, 07:21 PM
trent
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My vote is for the AZA's
Old 06-01-06, 07:32 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

If you can bump up your budget slightly you can get a nicer looking wheel, that stuff unfortunately is kinda at the lower end of the food chain. For a little more you can get into a nice brushed MRR

here is the HR2

Old 06-01-06, 11:41 PM
BiGLeX 400
Driver

Originally Posted by D2-AUTOSPORT
If you can bump up your budget slightly you can get a nicer looking wheel, that stuff unfortunately is kinda at the lower end of the food chain. For a little more you can get into a nice brushed MRR

here is the HR2

Sorry, wish we could but we got a new corolla and house to mod so the rims are an afterthought.........I just want it to look decent until I can afford what I really want. Plus on top of that I want good tires.
Old 06-02-06, 09:21 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BiGLeX 400
Sorry, wish we could but we got a new corolla and house to mod so the rims are an afterthought.........I just want it to look decent until I can afford what I really want. Plus on top of that I want good tires.
So, you're going to buy another, better set later on? How does that make financial sense?
Sorry, had to ask... I'd just wait until I could get what I want.

Focus on the house first- you won't believe how much stuff you'll want/need. When mine was brand-new, I needed window coverings, landscaping, I epoxied the garage floor, painted the garage & interior walls, upgraded interior door ***** & light fixtures... then you're doing in-wall speakers, in-ceiling speakers in the kitchen, buying audio/video gear, ceiling fans, patio furniture, a barbeque, a fire pit, building a deck in the back yard... it never ends!
Old 06-02-06, 09:38 AM
BiGLeX 400
Driver

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
So, you're going to buy another, better set later on? How does that make financial sense?
Sorry, had to ask... I'd just wait until I could get what I want.

Focus on the house first- you won't believe how much stuff you'll want/need. When mine was brand-new, I needed window coverings, landscaping, I epoxied the garage floor, painted the garage & interior walls, upgraded interior door ***** & light fixtures... then you're doing in-wall speakers, in-ceiling speakers in the kitchen, buying audio/video gear, ceiling fans, patio furniture, a barbeque, a fire pit, building a deck in the back yard... it never ends!
I'm talking years down the road.............not next year. Hell, it will probably never happen anyway so i'm not concerned with the financial sense. I already know about the house issue, it began the day we moved in. Nothing gets done unless absolutely needed. For the most part the house is remodeled so it's looking good for us right now. Want/need are two totally different things and we know what we should spend our money on. Thanks for the advice.
Old 06-02-06, 06:43 PM
biglexass
Lead Lap

bro you should get want you want,after all your paying for them and there gonna be on your car.

Quick Reply: Help me pick a wheel PLEASE i'm torn!