Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Corroded rims=loss of air pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-06, 02:19 PM
velocity12
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Corroded rims=loss of air pressure?

I brought my 2002 SC into NTB to check a slow leak in a tire.
The tire checked out fine but the manager said that the rim was corroded and probably the cause of a poor seal. He said this is often seen on Lexus and other high end cars. Anyone ever experience corroded rims that have this effect?
Old 05-27-06, 02:54 PM
IS0LD0UT
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem with a set of chome wheels on my old es300. Running chrome in the winter was not a good idea.
Old 05-27-06, 03:17 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by velocity12
I brought my 2002 SC into NTB to check a slow leak in a tire.
The tire checked out fine but the manager said that the rim was corroded and probably the cause of a poor seal. He said this is often seen on Lexus and other high end cars. Anyone ever experience corroded rims that have this effect?
Totally normal. Have them take off the tire, clean up the inside edge of the rim, and reseal it. It shouldn't cost more than about $15. You should be good to go.
Old 05-29-06, 11:31 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by e-man
Totally normal. Have them take off the tire, clean up the inside edge of the rim, and reseal it. It shouldn't cost more than about $15. You should be good to go.
yes, i think that's the right way, clean it up, sand and smooth it out, and put the tires back on. that's the only right way to repair it

and i think this mostly happens to chrome wheels? not sure if it happens to normal alloys as well?

though personally, i am not sure about the part on "often seen on Lexus and other high end cars". if you maintain the wheels right, they should be durable. if you don't, then even the alloy wheels on civic will go bad
Old 05-30-06, 01:28 AM
prex
Driver

I'm having the same problem (my SC430 came with "Driv" aftermarket chrome wheels) - chrome is peeling off on the outside too, have to put air in rear tires appx once a week now. Can't wait to have factory wheels put back on and things as they are meant to be.
Old 05-30-06, 06:25 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

can the chrome plating process be only done on steel or can it be done on aluminum also
Old 06-03-06, 01:39 PM
Eternity3G
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
can the chrome plating process be only done on steel or can it be done on aluminum also
ALuminum is no problem. You figure most aftermarket wheels are made of aluminum...
Old 06-03-06, 08:29 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had this happen to a set of wheels I had. Had them on for 2 years no problem and then started having problems holding air. Got worse and I was having to fill them up every other day Luckily my iForged wheels came in and sold these to a friend. He had the whole wheels rechromed and they work and look like new
Old 06-03-06, 09:41 PM
Xevuhtess7
Pole Position

the corrosion/buildup of junk happens on wheels of any material. just clean it up, remount the tire and you're good to go
Old 09-15-07, 08:32 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The "cleaning up" part can be a chore.
There was quite a bit of corrrosion on the inside lip of my chrome rims, right where the tire contacts it.
If it is significant enough to cause air leakage (as mine was), it may not be enough to just wire-brush it.
I also needed to sand the lip with emery sandpaper, and then apply several coats of primer to get it smooth enough to seal up against the tire.
It was not the sort of job I'd entrust to just any shop- it takes time to do it right, to get it smooth enough to seal up and to keep the corrosion from reappearing (and in my case, there's still no guarantee that it won't). And most shops don't want to spend that much time.
I ended up having a Firestone shop remove the tire from the wheel, then I took the wheel home to perform the steps described above myself.
The next day I returned to the shop to remount the tire.

I posted full details and pics on what I did in the Tires/Wheels forum:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/the...with-pics.html

Last edited by PERRYinLA; 02-21-09 at 01:17 PM.
Old 09-15-07, 10:32 PM
chrispy

Received 78 Likes on 37 Posts

I had a set of cheap chrome OEM style 16's that were on my ES300 back in the day. The chrome started corroding and leaking air slowly so I got sick of it and got some SC430 alloys.
Old 09-16-07, 10:56 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
yes, i think that's the right way, clean it up, sand and smooth it out, and put the tires back on. that's the only right way to repair it

and i think this mostly happens to chrome wheels? not sure if it happens to normal alloys as well?

though personally, i am not sure about the part on "often seen on Lexus and other high end cars". if you maintain the wheels right, they should be durable. if you don't, then even the alloy wheels on civic will go bad
you answered your own question actually...

how many Civics come with chrome wheels?? Chrome wheels are typically a higher end fitment for higher end cars...

it can happen to any wheel, steel, aluminum, etc, however, chrome plated wheels are the most common, because it's not just corrosion on the chrome, sometimes the chrome just works its way loose from the base layer of metal...

anything can be chrome plated, even plastic... the key is to get a coat of zinc and or nickel down first... very very few aftermarket wheels are steel, and even fewer are chrome steel anymore... there is only a couple companies that build them, and they are typically for trucks and off road fitments...