Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Should i get new rims first?...or ??....

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-06, 05:49 PM
rgchevy1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should i get new rims first?...or ??....

Okay,

I've saved enough money to get a set of rims for my 2002 LS430 with ultra luxury package. I plan on getting a staggered set of 20x8.5 for the front and 20x10 for the rear. My question is that I also plan on lowering it with Tien springs, but i can't afford that until later, so should I use the money i've saved to lower the car first or can i get the rims first? I'd rather get the rims and tires first. Can i do that with a staggered set up? Sorry uf this sounds like a stupid question...this the first time i'm lowering a car.
Old 05-24-06, 06:31 PM
Stefwilli
Wheel Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't worry your question isn't stupid at all. I think you should go ahead and get the wheels and worry about the lowering when that time comes. As for the fitment of the wheels (staggered, lip sizes, ect....) I can help you with all of that.

Send me an email
stefan@d2autosport.com
We do full program tuning for your car.

Last edited by Stefwilli; 06-02-06 at 06:29 PM.
Old 05-24-06, 11:33 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

always lower the car first before getting wheels car looks so unproportion when it's not lowered but with big wheels. seen couple and it's just weird.

Last edited by rominl; 05-25-06 at 01:10 AM.
Old 05-25-06, 12:34 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
always lower the car first before getting wheels
agreed... if you do the reverse - you'll be kicking yourself for making your LS look like it was just lifted.

and... i hate to say this but i usually trust advice from unbiased sources.
Old 05-26-06, 12:53 PM
Eternity3G
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

AGREED...

4 x 4 =

LOWERING CAR = NO MORE
Old 05-30-06, 11:54 AM
GT PRO LS
Driver

If you're in an Ultra, this car has factory air bags, you have 2 options. 1. get a controller to lower your pressure in the factory bags, or replace your bags with an Air Runner bag system. I myself prefer and run the Air Runner.
Old 05-30-06, 03:12 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

I agree with the others. Get the suspension brought down and then mount up the wheels.
Old 05-30-06, 03:18 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get The Wheels.....
Old 06-02-06, 04:51 PM
rgchevy1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GT PRO LS
If you're in an Ultra, this car has factory air bags, you have 2 options. 1. get a controller to lower your pressure in the factory bags, or replace your bags with an Air Runner bag system. I myself prefer and run the Air Runner.
So let me get this straight...? I do not need to buy new springs, since my car has factory air bags? Also how much is getting the Air runner compared to getting a controller? Is one better than the other?Where can i get this stuff anyways? I live in the East Bay California.

Thanks,
Old 06-02-06, 06:21 PM
Stefwilli
Wheel Vendor

I can explain everything to you in detail about your suspension, wheels, etc........

Your car has air suspension, so you have an option of buying a module that controls your ride height with a touch of a button. Please give us a call 203-440-4766, ask for Stefan or email stefan@d2autosport.com

Check out our project LS430 on the site www.d2autosport.com
Old 06-03-06, 03:38 PM
GT PRO LS
Driver

Default VIP the reality

Originally Posted by rgchevy1
So let me get this straight...? I do not need to buy new springs, since my car has factory air bags? Also how much is getting the Air runner compared to getting a controller? Is one better than the other?Where can i get this stuff anyways? I live in the East Bay California.

Thanks,

The differences are:

1. a controller for your factory suspension will lower the car, but not *dump it*, as well as the fact that you do not have *instant control* as the factory air system was designed for minor changes at highways speeds to cut down aerodynamic drag, not to look cool. The compressor and the lines are small and therefore the hide height changes very slow, esspecially in raising up the car.

2. Air Runner provides full control over the system which proves to be very valuable if you have a car with a lower front lip or upgraded bumper like a Fabulous or Junction, it allows *instant* ride height adjustment to allow you to raise the car up when going up driveways or over speed bumps, this has been INVALUABLE to me, as I drive my VIP LS430 everyday. Check it out on falken's site if you want, www.FK452.com

I talk from experience, we have build multiple VIP cars, and from what I know, the very first TRUE VIP demo car in the USA 2.5 years ago when everyone was like *VIP what??* We've built our demo car which is used for Falken Tire's advertising campain, as well as building Falken Tire's GS300 Junction Produce demo car touring the East Coast right now. There might be others out there who can say what they've been able to read in a magazine, but we live VIP everyday, and are here to educate and help. Hope this sheds some light on your questions.

Let me know if you need help, we're in So.Cal O.C.
Old 06-09-06, 10:11 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 147 Posts

Here's an idea even though it might stink a little...

Get the wheels and tires, and don't put them on the car yet, hold on to them (in safe spot), then get the money together to lower it, and get it all done at one time....from plain to bang in one day...

It does stink, but, I think that's what I would do, not to risk making a sweet ride not look so good for a short time..

Just my .02
Old 06-12-06, 03:46 PM
rgchevy1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DavidinRI
Here's an idea even though it might stink a little...

Get the wheels and tires, and don't put them on the car yet, hold on to them (in safe spot), then get the money together to lower it, and get it all done at one time....from plain to bang in one day...

It does stink, but, I think that's what I would do, not to risk making a sweet ride not look so good for a short time..

Just my .02
Actually i thought of doing that. but some people told that if i wait and buy the rims later they will often be on sale or a cheaper price. Where as suspension dont reduce in price much.

One more question? What is the benefit of getting a staggard set up vs. a set up were all the rims are the same? Is it for racing? If so I am going to use this car for cruising. Will it look bad if i get 4 of the same size wheels? If so what size is appropriate 20x10 all around or 20x9 all around?

Thanks everyone for all your help.
Old 06-12-06, 04:03 PM
GT PRO LS
Driver

Originally Posted by rgchevy1
Actually i thought of doing that. but some people told that if i wait and buy the rims later they will often be on sale or a cheaper price. Where as suspension dont reduce in price much.

One more question? What is the benefit of getting a staggard set up vs. a set up were all the rims are the same? Is it for racing? If so I am going to use this car for cruising. Will it look bad if i get 4 of the same size wheels? If so what size is appropriate 20x10 all around or 20x9 all around?

Thanks everyone for all your help.
My *opinion* staggered is the ONLY way to go. But each to his own, but I'm a big *deep lip* junkie. Here is my example. This is my rear wheel on my LS430 BTW, if anyone was wondering, they are 20 X 9.5 Front (76mm = 3.00" lip) and 20 X 10.5 (114mm = 4.5" the largest 20" lip WEDS makes) Rear
Attached Thumbnails Should i get new rims first?...or ??....-dsc03177.jpg  

Last edited by GT PRO LS; 06-14-06 at 12:28 PM.
Old 06-14-06, 11:55 AM
Stefwilli
Wheel Vendor

Staggered is to give more traction for the rear wheels which is a benefit for RWD cars. I have staggered wheels because I love the look, it fills out the rear fenders just as much as the front. Also with staggered wheels you will get a larger rear lip, my wheels are 20x8 and 20x10, I have a 3" front and a 4" rear lip.
d2autosport.com/LS400.com

Last edited by Stefwilli; 06-14-06 at 12:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Should i get new rims first?...or ??....