Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Advice needed: Michelin Pilot Sport A/S vs. Pirelli Pzero Nero M+S

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-06, 11:21 AM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Advice needed: Michelin Pilot Sport A/S vs. Pirelli Pzero Nero M+S

hi everyone

i need some help deciding between these two tires. i actually have the michelins on the SC430 and love them, and i was going to put another set on the GS but after reading some positive reviews on the pirellis, i am thinking about trying a set of those.

the only thing that bugs me is the tramlining issue on the pirellis. i know that the Vs on the tread tend to make it tramline, i just can't get a sense for how bad it gets. some people reported being jerked around at 70mph on the highway, some people said it "wasn't that bad". can anyone chime in on real world experience and possibly tire treadlife?

i am ok going with the michelins again, but it's a tough choice considering the positive things i've read about the pzero and the fact that they get almost identical ratings on tirerack's survey. plus the michelins are like $275 vs. pirelli at one hundred less!! the other plus for pzero is that it is rated more quiet than the michelins.

TIA
Old 05-15-06, 11:45 AM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Pirelli Pzero Nero M+S, are quieter and smoother riding than another 20" tires on the market.
Old 05-15-06, 11:49 AM
dsouth
Lexus Test Driver

Michelins hands down.
Old 05-15-06, 11:51 AM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

1 to 1

btw, i'm using stock 18" on the GS. any response on the tramlining problem?
Old 05-15-06, 12:02 PM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Seeing that you are running 18's , the best 18's I ever used where Continental ContiExtremeContact they rode great and lasted to 30,000 miles and never had any problems.
Don't waste your money on high dollar tires unless you switch to 19's or 20's and then it is a must.
Old 05-15-06, 11:07 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 185 Likes on 144 Posts

i would get the michelin a/s, have them now and i really like them
Old 05-16-06, 12:43 PM
Eternity3G
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexkost
Pirelli Pzero Nero M+S, are quieter and smoother riding than another 20" tires on the market.
I beg to differ... Not trying to dog the M+S, but the Michelin is hands down best tire on market. Take it from someone in the business. Michelin's technology is rated the furthest at 7 years beyond any others... ( I like the PS2's even better)

BTW... don't knock the Toyo T1-R's till you tried them! 45 day 500-mile "no questions asked satisfaction gurantee"
Old 05-16-06, 03:34 PM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Tire Rack says:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compar...=0&sortValue=1
Old 05-16-06, 04:26 PM
Eternity3G
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The link doesn't work.....

And if you are referring to the "Tire Rack Comparison" you have to keep in mind many tests on tires are conducted within the first 500-1000 miles of tire life. Over time, I have noticed that the Michelin keeps up much better through wear and time.

Once again, I am not putting Pirelli down and it still is personal preference and opinion. I too use "ratings" as a guideline, but I don't put my complete trust in them. I like to try the different tires and compare them on the same car (mine) and driving styles/conditions. Many of the "ratings" on the Tirerack from consumers are also on different cars, wheels, suspension, conditions, etc. It's very difficult to gauge a comparison with some many different variables.

I am just giving my opinion on my past experiences with both tires....

Last edited by Eternity3G; 05-16-06 at 04:40 PM.
Old 05-16-06, 04:45 PM
LtotheX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seeing that you are running 18's , the best 18's I ever used where Continental ContiExtremeContact they rode great and lasted to 30,000 miles and never had any problems.
Don't waste your money on high dollar tires unless you switch to 19's or 20's and then it is a must.
Where are you getting your sources???? ...They are FAR from accurate. I think you need to do a little more homework before recommending something to some one. They might make make the same mistakes as you do!
Old 05-16-06, 04:47 PM
LtotheX
Driver School Candidate

Bold statement...!! not quite accurate. I think that the Michellins would be quiter Hands down... no question about it. To top it off .. There is NO tire warranty afford by continental which is one of your other tires that you recommended due that its from Germany. So ... if you get a bubble in the side wall or anything like that ... you are S.O.L
Old 05-16-06, 04:50 PM
LtotheX
Driver School Candidate

and please don't use tirerack as your source due to that being a Biased opinion just like yours. if you want to make your statement valid ... Please provide some actuall #'s ... and yes the link does not work.
Old 05-16-06, 04:53 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,143 Likes on 1,307 Posts

LtotheX:

We expect polite replies on our forum... if you disagree that's fine but you might want to point out WHY you disagree other than simply putting down the other member's opinion. What is your expertise based on and what are your experiences.

'Not quite accurate' loses a LOT of credibility unless you provide some sort of counterpoint and "Biased" comes across the same from you unless you can quote non-biased sources. Everything suffers from some sort of bias even personal preference.... and that is something you need to respect here on CL !

EDIT - interesting IP address. Do you know Eternity3G?

Last edited by DaveGS4; 05-16-06 at 05:01 PM.
Old 05-16-06, 06:31 PM
LtotheX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
LtotheX:

We expect polite replies on our forum... if you disagree that's fine but you might want to point out WHY you disagree other than simply putting down the other member's opinion. What is your expertise based on and what are your experiences.

'Not quite accurate' loses a LOT of credibility unless you provide some sort of counterpoint and "Biased" comes across the same from you unless you can quote non-biased sources. Everything suffers from some sort of bias even personal preference.... and that is something you need to respect here on CL !
Yes actually i do know Eternity3G... Yet it has nothing more to do with him then something i was showed and thought i'd wanna share some imput on.... and here it is...

I understand and appologize if i came off a little strong. Here is the "Biased" but "tested facts" from "Tire-rack" which someone decided to use as a source.

Michelin PS2 / Conti. sportscontact2 / PZero M&S / Michelin PS A.S
SPEED RATING YR ZR WR YR
HANDLING RATING 9.10 8.30 8.70 8.80
DRY TRACTION 9.4 8.7 9 9
WET TRACTION 8.7 7.6 8.6 8.7
SNOW TRACTION N/A N/A 7.2 7.3
RIDE COMFORT 8.6 7.7 8.6 8.3
NOISE COMFORT 8.5 7.3 8.6 8
WEAR 7.5 6.2 8.2 7.8

TREADWEAR RATING 220 280 400 400
TRACTION RATING AA AA AA AA
TEMPERATURE RATING A A A A

Sorry im not the Greatest with HTML... but you can Read it ...
Old 05-17-06, 11:15 AM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Hey Guys, I am just giving advise gathered from my 5 years experience with different tires and wheels on my 2 gen LS.............Also Tire Rack is a good starting point for info.......

Quick Reply: Advice needed: Michelin Pilot Sport A/S vs. Pirelli Pzero Nero M+S