Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

tire preference

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-06, 02:59 PM
doc s
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default tire preference

Greetings!
I'm new to this venerable group, having just purchased an '02 SC430 with 34,500 miles on it. Lexus was great with providing the service record when I gave them the vin #.
I want to get the Bridgestone run flats off this thing and replace them with either Goodyear Eagle F1 GS D3's or Michelen Pilot Sport PS 2's. Anybody have have a preference or experience to share?
By the way, the 430 is red. I just had the tranny fluid flushed and had Red Line synthetic put in the crankcase.
Cheers!
Old 04-26-06, 03:11 PM
GEE-BEE
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 430 tire"S

I have the pilot sport's !

Good looking tire and ride, Iam running 20's

Best price was tire rack, I have some stock 06 shocks if you want a better ride for your SC

Gee-Bee
Old 04-26-06, 06:16 PM
camillian
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am also running PS2's
Old 04-26-06, 09:53 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

the ps2 is aweome times but watch out on the wear, they wear out pretty fast from the reviews i have read. but for sure their performance is way up there
Old 04-27-06, 04:18 AM
doc s
Driver

Thanks! I'm not going to the track or anything. I'm just driving this around much like I did my ES330, using it for commuting to work and running around (and looking good..let's face it!)
What would you recommend for ride comfort, low noise and a general high performance tire that will last a reasonable number of miles?
Old 04-27-06, 07:01 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

in Dec 05 Car and Driver test, the Goodyear F1 GSD3 (1st place) beat the michelins PS2 (4th place) and they are less expensive

http://www.goodyeartires.com/eagle/p...3_article1.pdf (takes a while to load)
Old 04-27-06, 10:35 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by doc s
Thanks! I'm not going to the track or anything. I'm just driving this around much like I did my ES330, using it for commuting to work and running around (and looking good..let's face it!)
What would you recommend for ride comfort, low noise and a general high performance tire that will last a reasonable number of miles?
if you are just doing daily driving, there isn't much reason to get max performance tires. get high performance is good enough, or even all season. i have the michelin pilot a/s (all season). 400 tread wear, quiet, and still very good traction in most conditions. i love mine
Old 04-28-06, 09:44 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have GS-D3s on my stock 16s and they are very soft and sticky but with firm sidewalls. I liked them. they are cool looking too.

I have Pirelli P-zero neros on my 18s and they are pretty good too. not as high performance as GS-D3s, but good overall tire.
Old 04-29-06, 01:06 PM
doc s
Driver

Talking

WHOA!! What a difference a tire makes. Got my new Michelin's and the difference is night and day. A totally different ride.
Old 05-01-06, 01:41 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

congrats doc, so which michelin you went with? i am sure you are enjoying your car all over again
Old 05-01-06, 02:50 PM
doc s
Driver

Went with the PS-2. Interestingly, the tire shop, which has been established in the DC Metro area for years, had to go to three of its shops before they could mount them. The SC430 has Icon rims and they needed a special machine to get the old runflats off and to mount the Michelins.
My next project is to find a spare. There's one on Ebay (itsallaboutyourlexus)that comes pre-mounted and ready to go and is relatively reasonable....considering. Is this as good as i'm going to do on a spare?
Thanks for the advice and counsel.
Old 05-01-06, 09:50 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

if you just want a wheel as spare, you don't need a sc430 wheel? unless you want to have the same style of course
Old 05-02-06, 05:56 AM
doc s
Driver

Can you please explain what my options are? Pohanka Lexus (our local dealer) was quoting a grand just for the kit. I paid $1300 for all 4 tires intsalled with a road hazard warranty.
If there's a shortcut around this or the Ebay option I'm all ears. Help!
Old 05-02-06, 09:13 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

you mean you want the spare tire kit that will fit in the trunk? there is a thread in the sc430 forum about it

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ighlight=spare

seems like people could get it for cheaper. and for the spare itself, you can try to get a supra spare saver spare wheel, it will fit
Old 05-02-06, 09:44 AM
doc s
Driver

thanks for guiding me to the post. very interesting. did I read you correctly that you can fit a full size spare in the trunk if you're not going to put the top down?
My concern even with a small spare is that many rural areas along, say , Interstate 70 in western Kansas or Esatern Colorado, wouldn't have the replacements due to the uniqueness of the size. But if i could fit a real spare tire, mounted, etc. it makes it possible to get out on the highway.
Is it actually do-able if I'm not planning on putting down the top?

Quick Reply: tire preference