Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

summer vs. winter tires ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-06, 11:22 AM
inecstaz
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default summer vs. winter tires ??

So I did a search on this, however, there were tons of pages that came up without the info I'm lookin for. I might have just missed it or something.

Anyways, So my question is: What the difference between summer vs. winter tires?

When I got my IS250, it came with summer tires. I'm guessing because summer is on its way. But do I need to change them to winter tires when winter comes?
Old 04-20-06, 11:25 AM
DirtySouth
Rookie

Summer tires are designed for warm surfaces and are typically more performance-oriented. Winter tires typically have larger tread and are designed for better traction in water and snow/ice.

All-season tires are those that have a mixture of both design traits. That's the quick 'n dirty, hope that helps.
Old 04-20-06, 11:26 AM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The difference is tread pattern and compound type.
Old 04-20-06, 11:31 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

depending where in cali you live, if you are in south cali, dont need to worry about winter tires
Old 04-20-06, 11:33 AM
mort
Lead Lap

When I ordered my IS350, I also purchased a set of 16" steel rims and 225/55 winter tires from the dealer and will do a swap late fall and again in the spring. My dealer is also storing my winter set up in the summer and visa versa in the winter for free as well as free installation.
Old 04-20-06, 11:34 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by mort
When I ordered my IS350, I also purchased a set of 16" steel rims and 225/55 winter tires from the dealer and will do a swap late fall and again in the spring. My dealer is also storing my winter set up in the summer and visa versa in the winter for free as well as free installation.
theres actually snow in florida?
Old 04-20-06, 11:43 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Tread:
Summer tires actually have more tread and bigger tread blocks. This cuts down on the heat caused by excess movement of the tread blocks. Winter tires have smaller tread and blocks so it can trap more of the snow in the tread. Sounds counterintuitive but the best traction on snow is the snow in the wheels contacting the snow on the ground.

Compound: Summer tires have harder compounds, that need a certain amount of heat to get the best traction. Winter tires have a very soft compound that allows it to be more flexible/compliant in the freezing temps. Some winter tires have little abrasive bits impregnated in them that help in icy conditions.
Old 04-20-06, 01:01 PM
inecstaz
Pole Position

well since im in santa barbara/orange county... and it doesnt really snow unless i go to big bear/mt. high. so i guess i dont really need winter tires. i guess if i go to the mountains i'll just put chains on.

summer tires are ok to use all year right?
Old 04-20-06, 01:03 PM
inecstaz
Pole Position

oh yea... and thanks to whoever moved the thread. there are so many different forums...

THANKS
Old 04-20-06, 01:36 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by al503
Tread:
Winter tires have smaller tread and blocks so it can trap more of the snow in the tread. Sounds counterintuitive but the best traction on snow is the snow in the wheels contacting the snow on the ground.
Your explanation is a bit off. The trick isn't to simply trap the snow in the treads, it is to trap AND THEN RELEASE the snow on every revolution. Tire manufacturers refer to this as a "self cleaning tread". If the tread is designed so that it becomes clogged with snow, it is useless.

The other element of tread design that nobody has mentioned is sipes. Sipes are the little slits you see in winter and all season tires. They wick away the thin layer of water that forms on ice, dramatically increasing traction. You won't find them on summer tires, since in warm weather they make the tire feel "squirmy".
Old 04-21-06, 11:09 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bichon
Your explanation is a bit off. The trick isn't to simply trap the snow in the treads, it is to trap AND THEN RELEASE the snow on every revolution. Tire manufacturers refer to this as a "self cleaning tread". If the tread is designed so that it becomes clogged with snow, it is useless.

The other element of tread design that nobody has mentioned is sipes. Sipes are the little slits you see in winter and all season tires. They wick away the thin layer of water that forms on ice, dramatically increasing traction. You won't find them on summer tires, since in warm weather they make the tire feel "squirmy".
Respectfully, your position may be a bit off. From a quick google search:

http://www.mph-online.com/mag/streetknowledge/006

"Winter tires try to do the opposite by holding snow in the tread, because snow grips snow better than rubber does."

I remember reading the same in either C&D or R&T.

Here's a pic from one of the articles:

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...ter-rules.html

Sure doesn't look like the snow is releasing...
Old 04-21-06, 12:45 PM
Brandon@TR
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Summer tires have the best dry and wet performance, cornering, steering response, acceleration, braking, but usually the shortest tread life and mediocre ride quality and of course no snow and ice traction.

Winter tires have the best snow and ice traction but usually poor to medicre dry and wet road performance.

All Season tires usually try to do it all.

Of course there are many more categories and sub categories then just these 3 but this is the super abreviated version.
Old 04-21-06, 09:13 PM
darksparkz
Lead Lap

Winter is for winter, summer is for summer.

If your IS came with summer tires, you might want to use winter tires for the winter, depending on if it snows or not. Or you can buy a set of all-season tires for the winter since I doubt it snows that much in CA, but then I'm not sure which part of CA your in.

The all-season tires can work for rainy seasons and winter, while you can switch to your stock summer tires in the summer.