Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Tire Recommendation 05 LS430 245/45R18

Old 10-09-06, 06:14 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,292 Posts

I recently bought a set of Continentals (I *think* they were the ContiProContact's... I'm out of town and can't confirm) for my LS on OE 18" LS430 wheels.

Switched from Pirelli P Zero M&S which had become noisy with miles on 'em.

New tires have a bigger sidewall and a much nicer ride IMO. The LS doesn't need the handling capabilities of the performance tires I had on them before... I like it MUCH better with the Continentals on 'em.

No vibrations, much quieter than the Pirelli's, handling is still decent, much more cushy ride. Probably have put 1000 miles on them so far.
Old 10-09-06, 07:48 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

the extreme contacts are horrible in this application... although I used to sell them, we referred to them as low profile all-terrain tires....

I have never had a customer happy with them, and the price is the only reason I ever bit my tongue long enough to sell them...

maybe everyone elses opinions differ, but I'd rather sell something cheaper that rides better and is quieter...
Old 10-10-06, 09:47 AM
Brian S
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are they bad becuase the have a rough ride, or because they don't handle like a performance tire? I don't care if they don't live up to the Pilot Sport or Nero in handling. I want them to ride better than the Dunlop Direzza summer tires I have on now.

Brian
Old 10-10-06, 11:59 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by Brian S
Are they bad becuase the have a rough ride, or because they don't handle like a performance tire? I don't care if they don't live up to the Pilot Sport or Nero in handling. I want them to ride better than the Dunlop Direzza summer tires I have on now.

Brian
From what I have been told, they handle good, it's the ride quality that sucks...
Old 10-10-06, 12:14 PM
mikevanle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess a part in the tire you choose depends on your geography. Here in Jersey, we have all four seaons.
Old 10-10-06, 01:16 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by mikevanle
I guess a part in the tire you choose depends on your geography. Here in Jersey, we have all four seaons.
this is true... I haven't lived in a cold weather climate since I was 16...

however, if I did, I would have a set of winter tires and wheels as to not tear up my nice pretty, shiny wheels...
Old 10-11-06, 08:09 AM
Brian S
Lead Lap

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Conti's. I guess we'll see. I looked pretty hard at exactly what reviewers were saying about a tire, and what kind of car they had. I put more emphasis on those with larger cars, and Lexus reviews. With the Conti's, I found a couple who had an LS400 like me with upgraded rims (18"), and they like the tire ride (one commented it was better than with his former 16" tires).

What I've found with the reviews is that one reviewer's perfect tire, another reviewer hates for exactly the reason the first reviewer likes the tire. Plus, it seems some lines of tires are great on certain types of vehicles, but horrible on others. For instance, I have the Dunlop Direzzas in 245/45 18 on my LS, and they have been the WORST tires imaginable in terms of noise, and somewhat ride quality. If I could say one good thing, they seem to be good in the rain, but I think it could be because they are so noisy, they scare the water away. I checked the reviews for the Direzzas on Tirerack, and most rate it highly. I'm thinking it is becuase they are on smaller cars, or ricers who coffee can exhausts and 1000W stereos and don't even know their tires are noisy. Or maybe I just got a bad batch. You never know.

Thanks to the 30-day test drive, the most I'll be out is $100 some-odd dollars in balancing and shipping to find out with the Conti's.

Brian
Old 10-11-06, 06:28 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Get the PZero Nero's good M&S rated tires, about $100 per tire cheaper then the Michelins and higher rated on tirerack. They are in stock, just bought one.
Old 10-13-06, 06:19 AM
Brian S
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Max707
Get the PZero Nero's good M&S rated tires, about $100 per tire cheaper then the Michelins and higher rated on tirerack. They are in stock, just bought one.
In 245/45 18 they are still back ordered.

Brian
Old 10-13-06, 08:05 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I was in the same dilema on 19s for my LS430. I am a big Michelin fan but ended up with Dunlop SP 01As because my searching indicated that they would be pretty quiet and they were also available in the sizes I wanted. I'm not very happy with them as they seem a bit noisy -- not bad, but for the LS I was trying to find a tire that would be nearly silent lest the wheel/tire 'upgrade' becomes a downgrade instead.

I see that you've already purchased, but did you consider the Yokohama Advan Sport? Looks like they make your size and the reviews seem to be very favorable.... Maybe not all-weather enough for your needs?...

Last edited by I6turbo; 10-13-06 at 08:09 AM.
Old 10-13-06, 10:51 AM
Brian S
Lead Lap

For me, I looked at them briefly, but they are summer-only tires, which I was trying to get away from. I think (but don't know for sure) that summer tires tend to have a harder compound and may be noiser and ride rougher. That has certainly been the case with my Direzzas. Plus, it snows here, so I wanted something that I could possibly drive in light snow until I switch to winter tires.

There is also the Yokohama Advan S4 UHP all-season, but as of yet, they are too new and do not have enough reviews (4 at the moment) and Yokohama does not have a 30 test drive period.

Brian
Old 10-13-06, 11:12 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by Brian S
For me, I looked at them briefly, but they are summer-only tires, which I was trying to get away from. I think (but don't know for sure) that summer tires tend to have a harder compound and may be noiser and ride rougher. That has certainly been the case with my Direzzas. Plus, it snows here, so I wanted something that I could possibly drive in light snow until I switch to winter tires.

There is also the Yokohama Advan S4 UHP all-season, but as of yet, they are too new and do not have enough reviews (4 at the moment) and Yokohama does not have a 30 test drive period.

Brian
Summer performance tires are typically softer, as they are more performance oriented... Direzzas are just cheap junk...
Old 10-27-06, 01:16 PM
Brian S
Lead Lap

Installed the ContiExtremeContact. In summary, they were fairly quiet and much more comfortable than the Direzzas. But I have a vibration problem around 80MPH:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...iProContact#38

I think I may be trying the ContiProContact next. The lower H rating may be a fair trade for a better ride and (hopefully) no vibration.

Brian