Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Free at last, free at last, thank God I'm runflat free at last!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-06, 06:27 AM
JTMav
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Free at last, free at last, thank God I'm runflat free at last!!

To all you pioneers who ditched the runflats and went with real tires, thank you. Switched out the Bridgestone cement tires and went with the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3. What a difference. It's like I have a new car. I added the Conticomfort fix a flat compressor which is designed to be used with the sensors. Hope not to have to use it but I also have AAA & Lexus roadside. Well off to do some driving, can't wait.

JTMav
Old 03-25-06, 09:40 AM
clubaddict
Driver

did you get the spare tire kit too??

how does that whole compressor kit work? does it do anything more than just inflate tires? how would you seal off any damage?
Old 03-25-06, 09:46 AM
JTMav
Intermediate

Originally Posted by clubaddict
did you get the spare tire kit too??

how does that whole compressor kit work? does it do anything more than just inflate tires? how would you seal off any damage?
I did not get the spare tire kit.
It should work on the usual punctures. If you hit a deep pothole and blow out the tire I'm afraid it wouldn't work. Here's the link explaining what it does.http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/...tkit/index.jsp
It is rated safe for the sensors. Cost $75.00

JTMav
Old 03-25-06, 10:23 AM
clubaddict
Driver

looks like a fix-a-flat thats safe for the sensors...
seems to serve the same purpose as the runflats...probably better since you actually have air pressure and arent stressing the sidewalls(runflats usually fail around the 50mile mark for me)

what other companies make these things?
i want to pick up a set for myself...
Old 03-25-06, 11:58 AM
JTMav
Intermediate

This is the only one I saw that was made specifically for cars with the tire pressure sensors. All the other similiar products that I saw would damage the sensor.

Just back from a nice ride, I can't get over how much nicer the car rides and handles.

Enjoy the weekend
JTMav
Old 03-27-06, 01:50 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

hey congrats on the new tires. so with you driving on the runflats for so long, maybe you can comments more on the ride quality, noise, etc.... between the runflats and now the non-runflats? that would be good data point for future members!
Old 03-27-06, 06:19 AM
rombrigs
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JTMav
I did not get the spare tire kit.
It should work on the usual punctures. If you hit a deep pothole and blow out the tire I'm afraid it wouldn't work. Here's the link explaining what it does.http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/...tkit/index.jsp
It is rated safe for the sensors. Cost $75.00

JTMav

I ordered one of these this morning. Thanks for the tip and peace of mind! -R
Old 03-27-06, 03:03 PM
JTMav
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rominl
hey congrats on the new tires. so with you driving on the runflats for so long, maybe you can comments more on the ride quality, noise, etc.... between the runflats and now the non-runflats? that would be good data point for future members!
As others have said the difference is night and day. These specific tires are exceptional, especially with regards to grip. They are quiet, but they are new. The ride is firm but compliant, not squirelly and harsh like the run flats. It is a completely new experience, this is the car I thought I bought. I can't say enough how much I like these. I will update as time goes on. I would not hesitate to ditch the run flats and really enjoy the car for what it really is.

JTMav

Last edited by JTMav; 03-27-06 at 05:25 PM.
Old 03-29-06, 03:41 PM
martini3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i'll be joing this "Free At Last" club very soon. I'm getting the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S non-run flat this Friday. Woo-Hoo. Yipeeeee....!
Old 03-29-06, 04:15 PM
JTMav
Intermediate

Originally Posted by teeman3
i'll be joing this "Free At Last" club very soon. I'm getting the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S non-run flat this Friday. Woo-Hoo. Yipeeeee....!
Congrats, you won't look back.
Enjoy.
JTMav
Old 03-29-06, 09:19 PM
petergerst
Rookie

Default it think i'm stuck with my runflats

Just wanted to ask you guys- I still have my runflats and have experienced a markedly improved ride ever since I've been keeping the pressure in the tires in the mid 50's range. I've spoken to many mechanics who say it's still safe (safer than getting a flat with a regular tire) and even if my tires wear out a little faster is obviously a lot cheaper than replacing all 4 right now. I'm a physician and simply can't afford to lose the convenience of being able to still get to work on time even though I have a flat. Any opinions out there?
Old 03-29-06, 10:34 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

if you ask me? no, never. there is a max pressure "allowed" on the tire, i think it's like 51psi? i wouldn't go higher than 45 myself. that's just me. no matter how "comfortable" it gets, i thikn there is a reason for the "limit"
Old 03-29-06, 11:01 PM
petergerst
Rookie

limit is 63, it's on the tires. i was told dont go past 55 and you'll have no problem. have to let a little air out before the summer. it's REMARKABLE how much of a difference it makes, really.
Old 03-30-06, 12:36 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

wow the runflats can take up to 63psi? ok if that's the case then i guess you are ok. i thought most tires max out at around 50.
Old 03-30-06, 12:07 PM
kleef
Rookie

Originally Posted by JTMav
To all you pioneers who ditched the runflats and went with real tires, thank you. Switched out the Bridgestone cement tires and went with the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3. What a difference. It's like I have a new car. I added the Conticomfort fix a flat compressor which is designed to be used with the sensors. Hope not to have to use it but I also have AAA & Lexus roadside. Well off to do some driving, can't wait.

JTMav
I switched my run flats out for Michelin PS2's a couple of months ago and it made a world of difference in the ride quality. Enjoy your new ride! I have been driving with a can of fix-a-flat in the trunk but i am going to check out the Conticomfort fix that you mention. Thanks for that tip!

Quick Reply: Free at last, free at last, thank God I'm runflat free at last!!