Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

***whats the max size spacer that I should use***

Old 03-21-06, 12:36 PM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ***whats the max size spacer that I should use***

Im trying to upgrade my front brakes to SupraTT ....
if I put on a 8mm spacer will it rub? or how about 10mm all the way around ?
my offsets are 20x8.5+44front 20x10+48rear ...
will this cause vibration while driving ....I hear hub sentric spacers is the way to go

any help will be greatly appreciated
Old 03-21-06, 12:54 PM
AZDesertGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMO....I would say do a H&R spacers.....10mm in the front (I think they have studs already built in them) and 5mm for the rear (these come with new studs) If you do 10mm all around I think you may be pushing it with the rear regarding rubbing issues. These are hub centric spacers.... good luck
Old 03-21-06, 01:20 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

8.5 +36 front is no problem

8.5 +34 front is marginal, might rub the edge a bit
10 +38 in the rear, you will shave quite a bit of the fender tab.
Old 03-21-06, 01:26 PM
kietlander
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

depends on disk.
Old 03-21-06, 04:00 PM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

well what Im looking for is to put spacers in the front to make way for the supratt caliper and have the rears to match

Rom so your saying 8mm spacer would be cool w/ no rubbing issues ..right

so would all around be ok ?

How could I figure this out for sure ?
Old 03-21-06, 04:46 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm running the same exact offset and same exact wheels as you. I did roll all 4 fendors. I put 8mm spacer up front which put me at a +36 , no rubbing on a 245 series tire.. I did a 12mm spacer in the rear which put me at a +36 aswell and have a lot of room with my 265 series tire, you could easliy get away with a 275 maybe even a 285 depending on brand. or only go 8mm rear and have space for a 275-285 easy. I went with hub-centric spacer from H&R which were grinded to the spec by LMW out in cally. No vibrations, no rattles, no shakes. All is good. Good luck.
Old 03-21-06, 05:50 PM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bluelex
I'm running the same exact offset and same exact wheels as you. I did roll all 4 fendors. I put 8mm spacer up front which put me at a +36 , no rubbing on a 245 series tire.. I did a 12mm spacer in the rear which put me at a +36 aswell and have a lot of room with my 265 series tire, you could easliy get away with a 275 maybe even a 285 depending on brand. or only go 8mm rear and have space for a 275-285 easy. I went with hub-centric spacer from H&R which were grinded to the spec by LMW out in cally. No vibrations, no rattles, no shakes. All is good. Good luck.
thanks A

is rolling fender necessary ?
now the question is ..is 8mm enough to fit SupraTT calipers ?
Old 03-21-06, 07:16 PM
AME_VIP
Lexus Champion

You need about 45mm of clearance for supra TT brakes. That is from the rotor hat to the spoke of the wheel.

I currently have wheels that have about 30mm of clearance plus 11mm spacers. (15mm bolt ons machined to 11mm) There is 1mm of clearance!

I wouldn't run larger than 5mm without running longer studs from ARP or H&R.
Old 03-21-06, 08:00 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Lex I forgot to mention that the spacers I'm running came with longer studs front and back...You will need longer studs for more grip and peace of mind. I'm not really sure if 8mm is going to be enough for a SupraTT set up. I've seen them in person many times and they are huge well fat I mean is a better word.

I just checked my set up up front and I have maybe 4-5 mm of space from my caliper to the back of my rim with the rotora's. If I remmeber right I had about 3/4 inches of room before the spacer with my oem calipers. I don't think that with the 8mm spacer you'll have enough room to clear the SupraTT.
Old 03-21-06, 08:12 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LEXISM
thanks A

now the question is ..is 8mm enough to fit SupraTT calipers ?
This should have been the first question you asked !!

PM me your e-mail address and I will send you a file template for the TT calipers.

As long as you have acrobat reader, you can open this file.

From that template you can determine the spacer required.

From that spacer you can calculate the total offset.

And finally from that offset you can go back to Rominl's answer and see if you will rub.

As Adrian said, the TT calipers are thicker than his BBK, so you will need to space out further than his set up.

Adrian, how much further out do you think you could go?

As far as spacers, order only H & R, not the no-name brands. The thinner spacers like on Ebay (10mm or less) can crack over time since they are made out of cheap recycled metal.

The H & R will come with longer studs for thicknesses from 10mm up to 20mm. Beyond that you will have the stud built in.

Get H & R or something that looks like it were machined out of solid aluminum and look smooth on the surface. If the material finish looks rough, those are the cheap sand cast aluminum spacers you should stay away from.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 03-21-06 at 08:20 PM.
Old 03-21-06, 08:36 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Glen I honestly don't think I can go much more, maybe another 5mm max but that would be cutting it close.
Old 03-21-06, 09:02 PM
AME_VIP
Lexus Champion

I prefer to use Project KICS spacers from Mackin Industries. The same company that makes Volk wheels.

They actually make 10mm and 15mm bolt on spacers. The nuts that bolt the spacer to your car actually are flush with the spacer. However you may run into issues with the studs hitting the back of the wheels if you don't have pockets (space).
Old 03-21-06, 10:55 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboTeg
I prefer to use Project KICS spacers from Mackin Industries. The same company that makes Volk wheels.

They actually make 10mm and 15mm bolt on spacers. The nuts that bolt the spacer to your car actually are flush with the spacer. However you may run into issues with the studs hitting the back of the wheels if you don't have pockets (space).

Those sound cool.

Where can you get them?
Old 03-21-06, 11:13 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

others pretty much covered all already. basically 8.5 +32 with 245 is pretty much the max you can go, but that's with fender mods in the front already. without mods, 8.5 +36 and that's pretty much it

and like glen said, i have no idea if 8mmm is enough, you should use the template from glen first to see how much you need, then tell me the offset and i can tell you if it will work
Old 03-22-06, 11:19 AM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

Thansk alot guys ...

Glen my email spikee619@msn.com

I guess Im off to start measuring ...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ***whats the max size spacer that I should use***