Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Hub-Centric Rings in Aftermarket Rims: A Problematic Compromise?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-06, 07:04 AM
dsdfan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hub-Centric Rings in Aftermarket Rims: A Problematic Compromise?

I have just ordered an IS250. It comes with stock 16" wheels which give the car a "Corolla look." I am planning to upgrade to 18" Rays Volk wheels, which I hear are one of the lightest.

Unfortunately, the bore of the Volk wheels is not an exact fit for the IS250 wheel hub. As such, Hub-Centric rings are necessary to centre the wheels on the hub.

I have heard that original rims are best as they provide a perfect bore/hub fit. Hub centric rings, it seems, are not a perfect solution for bore/hub mismatch as they cannot fully eliminate vibration problems. Some say that hub-centric rings compromise performance because the wheel/hub fit is not perfectly rigid.

This is the first time I am upgrading rims so I'd like to ask if hub-centric rings are a flawed solution that is likely to cause problems. If so, I will go for original Lexus rims instead of Volk rims.

Can you recommend light high quality rims that are a perfect bore/hub fit for the IS250? I need light rims so that there is not performance hit due to larger wheel size.

Also, are the original rims heavier than Rays Volk Rims?

Thank you for the kind advice!!

Last edited by dsdfan; 03-21-06 at 07:51 AM.
Old 03-21-06, 08:17 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you need hub rings for almost all toyota/lexus cars since the hub on lexus/toyota is smaller than most other cars and thus manufacturers just go bigger to avoid the hassel
Old 03-21-06, 09:08 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

that's completely wrong info. here's why (my 2 cents, of course).

unless you get brands like hre (standard), iforged (optional), or some other brands that provide hub centric wheels, most other aftermarket wheels have bigger bore. rays, works, trafficstars, fabulous, etc... are they bad wheels? no way, not even close. they are very high quality wheels.

hub rings are there to mainly help you center the wheels better and easier when installing the wheels. if done right, and you tighten up the lug nuts correctly, meaning the wheels are perfectly centered around the hub, then the hub rings are actually "loose", meaning that there are no force appled to them.

what it means is that your lug nuts should be what all the forced and such be at to tighten your wheels to the hub / suspensions, NOT your rings.

so if the rings are there to help you install the wheels, how can they be "flawed"? granted, i agree that if wheels come hub centric to begin with, it's no doubt a perfect solution and everyone is happy, but if that woudl mean couple hundreds more for the wheels coz' of the diffrent mold, etc... i'd rather spend another 15 to 20 bucks on hub rings.

and btw, i am pretty sure rays wheens hub bore are 73mm. so you get rings that are 73mm outside and 60.1mm inside (lexus bore) and you are good to go

hope this helps (again my 2 cents only)
Old 03-21-06, 10:19 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

my iforged came with hub rings. personally I like the bigger bore, because it makes it easier to sell. IE I can sell my rims to infinity owners easier than lexus owners because of the offset of my rims
Old 03-21-06, 11:13 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by tonydt1g3r
my iforged came with hub rings. personally I like the bigger bore, because it makes it easier to sell. IE I can sell my rims to infinity owners easier than lexus owners because of the offset of my rims
The centerbore part is correct, but watch out with sweeping generaliztion on fitments. ie, the wheels are custom made for the spec's of your car to the mm so you cant just slip them on a inifiti and all is gravy. There are different brake systems, different overhangs of the calipers, etc etc.

I agree with ROMINL in that while Hubcentric is the perfect solution, the perfect solution is never 2850 in 20" staggered full chrome with rubber, LOL. So the price tag is lowered on wheels that use centering hardware. I have had both on my cars, and the mental comfort of hubcentric is nice, but I didnt lose sleep over utilizing hubcentric hardware either.
Old 03-21-06, 11:20 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by D2-AUTOSPORT
The centerbore part is correct, but watch out with sweeping generaliztion on fitments. ie, the wheels are custom made for the spec's of your car to the mm so you cant just slip them on a inifiti and all is gravy. There are different brake systems, different overhangs of the calipers, etc etc.

high disk clearance up front, no extreme fit forging in the rear. I am pretty sure it should fit fine
Old 03-21-06, 04:39 PM
dsdfan
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all your advice. RominL wrote:

" if done right, and you tighten up the lug nuts correctly, meaning the wheels are perfectly centered around the hub, then the hub rings are actually "loose", meaning that there are no force appled to them. what it means is that your lug nuts should be what all the forced and such be at to tighten your wheels to the hub / suspensions, NOT your rings."

Some wheel websites suggest that this Lug-centric method is not ideal. The weight of the car should be borne by the hub as the force is too much for the lug nuts to bear. These websites say this Hub centric arrangement is superior.

This implies that this hub/ring/bore juncture is crucial. Does the presence of a centering ring at that important juncture compromise rigidity at all? Are vibration or handling problems more likely to occur because of the use of a centering ring?

Thanks for the clarification!
Old 03-21-06, 07:42 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by tonydt1g3r
high disk clearance up front, no extreme fit forging in the rear. I am pretty sure it should fit fine
We sell wheels all day everyday, but ok, I'll take your word for it since your "pretty sure" lol
Old 03-21-06, 11:07 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by dsdfan
Thanks for all your advice. RominL wrote:

" if done right, and you tighten up the lug nuts correctly, meaning the wheels are perfectly centered around the hub, then the hub rings are actually "loose", meaning that there are no force appled to them. what it means is that your lug nuts should be what all the forced and such be at to tighten your wheels to the hub / suspensions, NOT your rings."

Some wheel websites suggest that this Lug-centric method is not ideal. The weight of the car should be borne by the hub as the force is too much for the lug nuts to bear. These websites say this Hub centric arrangement is superior.

This implies that this hub/ring/bore juncture is crucial. Does the presence of a centering ring at that important juncture compromise rigidity at all? Are vibration or handling problems more likely to occur because of the use of a centering ring?

Thanks for the clarification!
imho i think they might be saying that weight and such on the lugs in the wrong direction is bad when you are trying to put the nuts on, that i totally agree. but if the wheel is centered and lug nuts on, i think it's pretty obviously that all the force are on the lug nuts?

regardless, that's too details. i think we have covered the most important parts
Old 03-22-06, 03:06 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by rominl
regardless, that's too details. i think we have covered the most important parts
Seriously man, this information in the hands of the uninitated is more hurtful than helpful as it often leads to analysis paralysis.
Old 03-22-06, 08:50 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Seriously man, this information in the hands of the uninitated is more hurtful than helpful as it often leads to analysis paralysis.
true, life is too short to be too complicated
Old 03-22-06, 10:04 AM
dsdfan
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rominl
imho i think they might be saying that weight and such on the lugs in the wrong direction is bad when you are trying to put the nuts on, that i totally agree. but if the wheel is centered and lug nuts on, i think it's pretty obviously that all the force are on the lug nuts?

Rominl, Thanks very much for the expert advice and detailed explanation! I will proceed to choose some nice aftermarket rims (probably Rays Volk) with confidence, and not have to worry about the installation requiring hub-centric rings.

Last edited by dsdfan; 03-22-06 at 04:07 PM.
Old 03-22-06, 10:48 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

We sell wheels all day everyday, but ok, I'll take your word for it since your "pretty sure" lol

So since you the "Wheel Expert" and sell wheels all day everyday are you telling me that it doesnt fit? I was just using common logic to deduct that it would fit, You dont have to be an *** about it.
Old 03-22-06, 10:39 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by dsdfan
Rominl, Thanks very much for the expert advice and detailed explanation! I will proceed to choose some nice aftermarket rims (probably Rays Volk) with confidence, and not have to worry about the installation requiring hub-centric rings.
no problem. good luck and be patient. find the one you really like, trust me you are going to love it
Old 02-25-07, 11:45 AM
Nunzie
Rookie

Old thread back to life:

I found that Gorilla sells adapters to center the oversized rim bores to the cars hub OD (~60.1mm).

I just put on aftermarket rims with snow tires w/ oversized bores (~72.6mm) on my Avalon (60.1mm hub). I'm reling on the cone-shape lugs to do all the work. I was very carfull tightening down the lugs so the rim would center correctelly.

Do you think I should buy the Gorilla plastic hub adapter or are they un-necessary?