Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Cracked Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-06, 10:29 AM
GSKING430
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cracked Wheel

I have a set of 20inch Lowneharts which were ordered from Dazz Motorsports. I craked the inside hoop about half inch to inch so air leaks out. Dazz is closed today and I'm going crazy trying to figure out will they be able to just put a new hoop on since i have a 3 piece wheel or will I have to buy a new wheel? Please help!!! I know you guys are experts! If they can fix is it a quick fix like week or so? Please P.M. me if you know the answer for sure
Old 03-18-06, 03:29 PM
GSKING430
Driver

Anyone???? ???????????????????
Old 03-18-06, 04:57 PM
NorCalGS3
Rookie

I'm pretty sure it can be done...I've recently seen 3-piece wheels taken apart (inner hoop, outer hoop/lip, and spokes) and this lead me to believe it was being repaired. Good luck.
Old 03-18-06, 11:03 PM
GSKING430
Driver

Default Crack!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm posting this here because I can't get any answers in the other forum please help

I have a set of 20inch Lowneharts which were ordered from Dazz Motorsports. I craked the inside hoop about half inch to inch so air leaks out. Dazz is closed today and I'm going crazy trying to figure out will they be able to just put a new hoop on since i have a 3 piece wheel or will I have to buy a new wheel? Please help!!! I know you guys are experts! If they can fix is it a quick fix like week or so? Please P.M. me if you know the answer for sure
Old 03-19-06, 12:14 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NorCalGS3
I'm pretty sure it can be done...I've recently seen 3-piece wheels taken apart (inner hoop, outer hoop/lip, and spokes) and this lead me to believe it was being repaired. Good luck.
Where did you see this done at?
Old 03-19-06, 07:23 AM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

What did you hit and at what speed? Are those forged or cast wheels? Most likely they are casted 3 piece wheels. I would think that a forged wheel would most likely bend than crack. I don't know what's in your area but I know of 2 places that fixed broken wheels in the Bay Area. Unless there's a conditinal warranty for those wheels 9/10 you have to get them fixed.
Old 03-19-06, 08:17 AM
GSKING430
Driver

Don't know speed or any details. I just had a rapid loss of air pressure. Took them in and on the very edge of the hoop about an inch or less a small crack. They are Lowenhart LDR Forged cast? Don't know those answers sorry
Old 03-19-06, 08:23 AM
lightwave76
Lexus Test Driver

GSKING430,

now by the hoop, I'm guessing you mean the inner barrel of the rim? Well sadly to say lowenhart won't sell you or their distributors the pieces to their rims to fix a rim. I went down that road before with my Lowenhart BS5. The best advice I could give you would be to send it to rim repair shop that repairs wheels. We have one in the Northern Cali, called Wheel techniques. 408-496-0404. Another place that could help you is on the east coast called Weldcraft wheels. Weldcraft 734-420-2315 is the shop that fixed my Lowenhart. If you call Weldcraft, let James know that Chris sent you. Just tell him Chris with the Lowenhart. haha

If you have any other questions, shoot me a PM.
Old 03-19-06, 02:43 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Lowenhart won't sell the individual rim components for repairs like this.
Unfortunately, that's how the Japanese wheel manufacturers do business- sort of defeats the purpose of having a three-piece wheel if you ask me!

You can try to have the crack welded, but I can PROMISE that it will crack again in the future. The welding makes the surrounding areas of the aluminum brittle. And decent wheel repair shop knows this; bad idea!

Looks like you may be on the hook for a new Lowenhart wheel. You might be able to find a single used wheel... (eBay?)
Old 03-19-06, 10:18 PM
NorCalGS3
Rookie

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
Where did you see this done at?
It was D-Forged's shop in So-Cal. I was told that there were only a few producers of the actual "hoops" and that makers like Asanti, D-Forged and other US made wheels, all bought their hoops from the same company in So-Cal (some can correct if if I'm wrong).
Old 03-20-06, 08:15 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by NorCalGS3
It was D-Forged's shop in So-Cal. I was told that there were only a few producers of the actual "hoops" and that makers like Asanti, D-Forged and other US made wheels, all bought their hoops from the same company in So-Cal (some can correct if if I'm wrong).
The US made "hoops" aren't compatible with the Japanese wheels. The center opening and assembly holes locations are all wrong. Also, the profile of the drop center & bead seat areas are different- they don't even look the same.

See my post above.
Old 03-20-06, 08:28 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
Unfortunately, that's how the Japanese wheel manufacturers do business- sort of defeats the purpose of having a three-piece wheel if you ask me!

This is my LARGEST issue with Lowenhart / Maya / Maido, the importers take the easy way out and import "popular fitments" to satisfy the largest percentage of the market, but they cannot offer any truly custom fitments. So you can't spec your wheels down the mm, etc etc as so many of us love to do.

I know that DAZZ redrill's MB r230 chassis (SL) wheels to satisfy their SC430 requests. Its not so much that drilling is the issue, but who wants to spend 7k on chome 20" wheels/tires to have them "adapted" to their car? Its more of a philisophical issue for me. Also Lowenharts are very soft, so this is not the last time you'll be in this predicament.

You can try the welding, but as it has already been noted its kind of a "bandaid on open wound" type of thing, because it will open again.

Good luck and watch those potholes!!
Old 03-20-06, 10:06 AM
GSKING430
Driver

Had to order a new wheel. They can't replace seperate parts. So the new wheel will be here Thursday Thank you for eveyones help
Old 03-20-06, 10:08 AM
GSKING430
Driver

you guys are awesome thank you so much for the help. I had to just buck up and order a new wheel. D2 Autosport what wheels do you reccomend? I'm buying a 07 LS460l and want 22's staggered what do you reccomend?
Old 03-20-06, 12:21 PM
GSXOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
Personally I don't know about Lowenhart, but Work definitely sell the individual rim components for repairs. I (actually my wife) curb rash my Vs-Mx before and since the anodized lip can't be restored I was going to order the outer lip on this 3-pieces wheel. The problem IS, Work will not send the lip to me but will send the lip to the authorized dealer up in Nor. Cal. It was a hassle but they stated, they want to make sure the repair work is done by an authorized dealer maybe for both quality and liability reason. Long story short.... the cost is not worth of the hassle. Better off just buy a new replacement wheel or if you ask me, sell the entire set!

Quick Reply: Cracked Wheel