Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

How do I assembly or disassembly 2 piece OZ Opera II PL Wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-06, 04:27 PM
rsiwicki
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taking apart 2 piece wheels - how to do it?

I know this is the classified section so moderators please move if not appropriate here but I thought it would get more attention here being this is specifically wheel assembly related.

I need help in trying to figure out who to get a 2 piece wheel apart. I have the older classic OZ Opera II PL's and want to take the face plate off to be powder coated to match the car...not the lip (keeping that polished). I called around and all shops want at least $125 per wheel (powder coating plus assembly) to do this but then I found a place that will powder coat each wheel for $50 but I must take the wheel apart first which would save me $75 per wheel or a total of $300. The rivets/bolts have a star shap pattern attaching the face plate to the drum/rim and I was just at Home Depot were they did not have a tool big enough that would fit this rivet/bolt so I could remove the face plate.

Can somebody tell me where to order the tool I need to take these apart myself....many thanks.
Old 03-13-06, 05:28 PM
JKashat
Lead Lap

Find the right tool for the bolts, dismount the tires, and take them apart. Have them powder coated and reassemble. The only thing you may want to find out is torque specifications that is used on the bolts for reassembly. Should be easy on a 2-piece wheel, not like you gotta reseal anything.
Old 03-13-06, 05:34 PM
rsiwicki
Driver School Candidate

Find the right tool for the bolts
Thanks....I was hoping somebody could tell me where to get the right tool for the bolts. I know the rest is simple and about being mindful of torgque specs, but I can't find where to get the right tool.
Old 03-13-06, 05:37 PM
JKashat
Lead Lap

I'd have to see a picture of the bolt head to guess where to find the tool for removal than, sorry.
Old 03-13-06, 08:35 PM
Cypress
Driver

I too have the opera II pl's. The tool you need is only made by OZ ... unless you can find some type of metal shop to make you one. Where in florida are you. I knew a shop that had made this tool actually.
Old 03-14-06, 04:26 AM
rsiwicki
Driver School Candidate

thanks for your response....I figured as much the tool was specific to OZ. I live in Miami.
Old 03-14-06, 01:02 PM
rsiwicki
Driver School Candidate

I had trouble trying to split the rims myself as there are no ten point spline tools available as standard, so I phoned O.Z in Germany and spoke to the tech guy, who told me that the german government wont let them sell the tools as there are " Too many Black Sheep out there !" Well, Baaa Baaa !! to the Huns, we are British and resourceful, so I went to work on the web and I came up with a name that I recognised as having raced one of my boats in the eighties , Brian Vallack, a Good Ole Boy and trusted engineer
I found this quote off another webiste (British website with some dud with his Lotus). So I guess the question now is does anybody know of a way around this special tool to take apart these wheels or somebody who can do powder coating at a more reasonable price. The best price I got thus far is $40 per wheel for assembly and disassembly and this does not inlclude powder coating or mounting tires, etc.

Okay...I think I found a place that sells the 10 point spline bit that I need as this can't be just an OZ only specialty tool. Just waiting for customer service to call back and confirm. Will post website and results if this is the tool I need so others don't have to pay $50 per wheel just to have it disassembled.

Edit....just heard back from the supplier and re-checked my wheels. They are definitely 10 spline, but this very large supplier with tons of different bits/tool tips said they have never heard of 10 spline and said it was definitely an OZ Racing specific tool for this wheels. Ugghh!!! Looks like I am spending some serious extra $$$ just because I can't find the damn 10 spline $3 tool anywhere.

Last edited by rsiwicki; 03-14-06 at 03:37 PM.
Old 03-14-06, 07:06 PM
Cypress
Driver

Well a few more things.

OZ America is located in Miami. If you go to their web site you can find the ph #. Doubtful they would be cheaper, but since you live in miami anyways who knows.

Also, posssibly you could take a wheel to a metal fab. shop, show them the pattern and see if they could make you a bit. I know its been done before...
Old 03-15-06, 06:51 AM
rsiwicki
Driver School Candidate

I am almost 100% positive OZ America here in Miami closed shop and no longer have a US satellite office. I was talking with them last year and they said at the beginning of 2006 they were closing the US office. On the website they no longer list an office here in the US either.

Damn....I can't believe the 10 spline tool is impossible to get for the DIYer.