Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Lowering SPECS on Bilstein PSS Coil-Over Kit on my GS300

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-06, 03:43 PM
LexGS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering SPECS on Bilstein PSS Coil-Over Kit on my GS300

Hello Guys,

Just wanted to report back with some fresh quick numbers after installing and then lowering my GS300.

I purchased the Bilstein PSS Coil-Over Kit from www.shox.com (nice guys there!) for a total of $912 shipped to me. Unfortunately something at Shox.com was wrong because they should have been that cheap. I don't know the whole story but Shox.com lost a big chuck of money selling them at that price. Now if you go to the site now they are selling them for $1375. So let me say that I was very lucky to get them at the price I did when I did.

But anyway, I had them installed about 3 to 4 weeks ago and kept everything at stock/default levels. I have put a little over 1,000 miles on them so I think they are broken in enough for me to lower them to my liking.

I have a 2000 Lexus GS300 the original thread count on the Bilstein PSS from the bottom/last thread to the top where the spring locking black bottom bracket, was 19 threads on all four corners. After testing and trying out different configurations, the right one for me left 6 threads on the fronts from the bottom up and the rears left me with 12 threads from the bottom up. I could have gone a bit lower but the look I wanted was achieved yet leaving the car at a level that I would be shoveling the highways. It looks good and it feels great!

Before/Original exposed threads from bottom thread to top-below the black spring bracket:
FRONTS and REARS: 19 Threads

After Lowering (you still can go a bit lower if you wanted to):
FRONTS: 6 Threads (tire is not tucked under fender but gives you 1 1/2 fingers gap)
REARS: 12 Threads (tire is not tucked under fender but gives you 1 1/2 fingers gap)

I will take some pictures later this week to show results after lowering the car.
I think it will get a bit lower once I drive the car around the next few weeks.
Anyone thinking about using the Bilstein PSS Kit on their GS300/400 will be happy with the results. Unless you are looking to crack your kidneys with ULTRA stiffness then this kit is for you and worth your time and works very well in New York City (probably one of the roughest city terrains around).

With a lifetime warranty and great construction quality you really can't go wrong.
If you can find them for under $1,000 get it fast.

Hope it helps future PSS installations for you guys out their.

Thanks

LexGS
Old 01-31-06, 01:31 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Congrats on your purchase.. you should have posted in the suspension forum. I have the same set-up. I have 2 threads exposed in the fronts, and 6 exposed in the back. i live in NYC too, and the car is not scraping anything at all.. I have a 1.5 finger gap all around. The car has a nice rakish look to it now, and looks mean. The ride is excellent and the handeling is amazing.
Old 01-31-06, 03:47 PM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

hey walter..the ride definitely looks nice now.... it looked real good through my rear view mirror....LOL

Definitely looks good with the staggered setup...

thanks for your help on saturday by the way... i may be heading to harrisburg on the 18th - tuner Wars. .wats up...
Old 01-31-06, 09:12 PM
LexGS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks DASHOCKER...

I saw later that I posted in the wrong area...

How do I move it?

I wanted to lower it a bit more in the front but it was strange I was at 10 Threads before I went to 6 Threads. So when we went from 10 Threads to 6 Threads the height was still the same no more lowering occured going from 10 to 6. So I thought maybe I lowered already to the max. Anyway the car still looks great and I am very happy with it, at least now it doesn't look like an RX right GSOUP. I know it will lower a tiny bit more once it fully settles in the next coming weeks.

GSOUP my pleasure happing out with your cool project, count on me for continued support.

My SRT came in, GSOUP.......... oh GSOUP.....!

We have to do some videoing on the SRT install.

Thanks

LexGS