Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

hub rings

Old 01-13-06, 06:04 AM
camillian
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hub rings

I know this will get moved, but i was hoping to get a few remarks from fellow sc430 owners that i have come to know first. Yesterday I had my Amistad type R's installed and the shop was concerned that I didn't have the hub rings. They looked around but couldn't find ones to fit lexus. They said i would be back for sure. Anyway as soon as I got on the highway I was fine till about 60m/hr but as I krept to about 70 the car started vibrating. The wheels seemed like they were wobbling and going to fall off. I called them and told them to order them for me.

Is this normal? I have never used hub rings before. I also know another member with the same wheels and he has not used the hub rings also. I don't remember him commenting on this?
Old 01-13-06, 06:32 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really wish I knew what hub rings were can I get a definition? anyone
Old 01-13-06, 06:40 AM
nate579
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hub Rings Information

I hope this helps. Derrich @ D2Autosports may be able to help or search forum for more insight
Old 01-13-06, 06:43 AM
MrJohnE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts

Hubcentric Rings. im getting mine put on tommorow... just check with a local rim shop. they should be able to get you the info.

ie:
1. the diameter of your axle (my is300 is 60.1mm) that would be the size of the inner part of the ring.
2. you need to get the measurement of the bore on the inner side of the rim. (my volks i bought used and they were on an eclipse before so it ended up having a smaller bore then what is suppose to be on my car (73mm where its actually smaller on the rim)

http://www.prestigewheel.com/Catalog/HubRings66_67.pdf#search='hubcentric%20rings'
Old 01-13-06, 08:48 AM
GSXOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mario, here is what you need: 73mm/60.1mm hub ring size. I just bought a set last week. its weird that you have that problem because my Amistad even before the hub rings were doing just fine. If you need more information or picture, please send me a PM.
Old 01-13-06, 09:16 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

yes, you need hub rings to make things right. technically you can still get it to work without rings, but with it it's much better

and search the tire forum too, i had a BIG discussion on the rings
Old 01-13-06, 09:30 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

ahh One more thing to add to the to-buy list
Old 01-13-06, 10:21 AM
MNPine

does this mean that the Amistad type R's don't really "fit" without the Hubcentric Rings? I have used rings on a Corvette before but they called them an adaptor rather than a Hubcentric Ring.

I thought the Amistad type R's were made for the SC430?

Not trying to discount the Amistad type R's because I think they are one of the best looking wheels on the SC just trying to understand why Hubcentric Rings are necessary.
Old 01-13-06, 11:34 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by tonydt1g3r
ahh One more thing to add to the to-buy list
it's just 15 bucks for the rings dude!

MN, here's a short recap.

most wheels, when they are done, they have larger hub opening, so it can fit on most cars (usually 73mm). for example lexus have 60.1mm hub, but inifiniti has larger ones. same with acura, and other brands, etc...

however, when you put the wheels on the car, you want to get the rings, put it on the back of the wheel, so now you have a more precise hub opening that will fit on your car and will center perfectly.

the wheels (not just the type r) will fit on the car PERFECTLY no problem. put it this way. most wheels like my trafficstar, or works, autocouture, etc.... they all come with larger hub. technically if you put on the wheels very well and centered, you will have NO problem. the trafficstar on my sc430, when first put on, i had no rings and i got ZERO vibrations at all speed up to 100mph even. however when the trafficstar was put on my gs400, it probably wasn't completely centered and i got bad vibration at 60+mph. fix? i put on the rings so the wheels are perfectly centered, and now i got no vibration.

so the bottom line is the rings HELP to center the wheels on the car so you have no vibration. i won't say they are a must (since i didn't have them and no problems) but i say it's a good help.

and no the type r is not made for the sc430. it's just an aftermarket wheel like any others. but we spec the wheel so it fits fine on the sc430

hope this helps
Old 01-13-06, 11:59 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

I guess let me order mine before I even get rims LOL where did you get yours rominl?
Old 01-13-06, 12:30 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

i am in cali, so everything is within reach locally

but you can talk to tm engineering or d2autosport, they all have it, common stuff

however, you want to make sure it's the size you want for your wheels. the center is 60.1mm that's for sure, but you want to make sure abou the hub hole size on your wheel. USUALLY it's 73mm, but there is no guarantee
Old 01-13-06, 12:36 PM
MNPine

Originally Posted by rominl

most wheels, when they are done, they have larger hub opening, so it can fit on most cars (usually 73mm). for example lexus have 60.1mm hub, but inifiniti has larger ones. same with acura, and other brands, etc...

however, when you put the wheels on the car, you want to get the rings, put it on the back of the wheel, so now you have a more precise hub opening that will fit on your car and will center perfectly.

the wheels (not just the type r) will fit on the car PERFECTLY no problem. put it this way. most wheels like my trafficstar, or works, autocouture, etc.... they all come with larger hub. technically if you put on the wheels very well and centered, you will have NO problem. the trafficstar on my sc430, when first put on, i had no rings and i got ZERO vibrations at all speed up to 100mph even. however when the trafficstar was put on my gs400, it probably wasn't completely centered and i got bad vibration at 60+mph. fix? i put on the rings so the wheels are perfectly centered, and now i got no vibration.

so the bottom line is the rings HELP to center the wheels on the car so you have no vibration. i won't say they are a must (since i didn't have them and no problems) but i say it's a good help.

and no the type r is not made for the sc430. it's just an aftermarket wheel like any others. but we spec the wheel so it fits fine on the sc430

hope this helps

THANKS !! - i think the ring and the adaptor i used for the corvette are two different items after reading your feedback
Old 01-13-06, 12:44 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by MNPine
THANKS !! - i think the ring and the adaptor i used for the corvette are two different items after reading your feedback
yes, i *think* the adaptors you had were more like a spcer to either
1) change the bolt pattern
2) to change the spacing
3) to fit it better

if that's the case then it's different. with the hub rings, it should not be visible in any sense from outside at all, and won't change any spec on your wheel
Old 01-14-06, 10:31 AM
camillian
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rominl

hope this helps
Henry,
How do you center the wheel without hub rings?
Old 01-14-06, 10:47 AM
camillian
Lead Lap

Can I get theese at the lexus dealer or would it be an aftermarket wheel shop?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: hub rings