Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Anyone here ship wheels/tires before?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-06, 09:11 AM
psd112
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone here ship wheels/tires before?

So I've come to a point where I need to ship some wheel/tires across the U.S....

Anyone have any advice? I was thinking about cutting up some boxes to protect the face and rear of the wheels and using whole bunch of tape... but i'm not sure if UPS would let this fly. Anyone done this?

Any ideas? I'm not so much concerned about cost, but more of "logistically how the hell do I get these four things to this guy without screwing them up in the process"

Should i dismount the tires and ship them seperately?
Old 01-02-06, 09:52 AM
DK_NGUYEN
Pole Position

I used some carpet padding to put on the face of the wheels, it really help.
Old 01-02-06, 11:19 AM
GSXOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just did this yesterday... for each piece, i first use two layer of bubble sheet on the face of the wheel and one in the back. Then I wrap the wheel and tire with clear self adhesive wrapper. Next I use two layer of bubble sheet again for the front and back then put two card board right behind it. In addition, for the front wheel which the face of the wheel is close to the surface I use steroforam to ensure potential impact and contact from UPS shipping. (If you want, you can also indicate the face side "UP" when you ship the wheel.) Finally, use industrial yellow strap to tie up your packaging material. If you want, use the duck tape in between the strap just for additional security.

Last edited by GSXOTIC; 01-02-06 at 09:26 PM.
Old 01-02-06, 01:39 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by GSXOTIC
I just did this yesterday... for each piece, i first use two layer of bubble sheet on the face of the wheel and one in the back. Then I wrap the wheel and tire with clear self adhesive wrapper. Next I use two layer of bubble sheet again for the front and back then put two card board right behind it. In addition, for the front wheel which the face of the wheel is close to the surface I use steroform to ensure potential impact and contact from UPS shipping. (If you want, you can also indicate the face side "UP" when you ship the wheel.) Finally, use industrial yellow strap to tie up your packaging material. If you want, use the duck tape in between the strap just for additional security.
talk about secured way of shipping saw pics of such packaging before. very work intensive but for sure the wheels will arrive safe
Old 01-02-06, 09:56 PM
GSXOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay, since i was taking pictures for something else, i also took those to help you out. BTW, there are not completed yet even with the one that has two strap. It still need two more straps to secure it and of course the duck tape to follow. Hope this help:

Old 01-03-06, 06:24 AM
psd112
Driver School Candidate

Wow, thanks for the help! Must be a PITA, but as long as they get there safely thats all that matters.
Off to the moving supply store!

I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Thanks again!

Paul
Old 01-04-06, 07:50 PM
SSK0771
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I put the wheels and tires in a 28x28x12 box with foam inside with padding on the lips side of the wheel. Tape the box all over so it won't rip.

The only thing is that box size is hard to find. Luckly, I have a box store near my house that carries them.

I shipped wheels like that on 3 different occasion including last wheels and tires I sold which were 19" Maya GR5 with Toyo's on them.