Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Swap the back Tires

Old 11-15-05, 02:28 PM
Jasoneo5
Lexus Test Driver

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Swap the back Tires

Hello,

Because of camber problems, one of my rear tires has a lot of wear on the inner part, and not a lot on the outer part, is it possible to remount it and put it on the other side so that the part of the tire with a good amount of wear is being used mainly'>?

-Jason
Old 11-15-05, 04:12 PM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I call it flipping tires cuz it would be rotating

I have done it twice since Ive owned my car but it is a good Idea not to wait till the tire is too worn check them at about 5,6 months and see how its doing is the tread is getting really small time to flip

how good this is? I dodnt know ....but i done it and havent had any problems with doing this
Old 11-15-05, 04:21 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

yup, you can do that, and yes, you should do it more often before it wears out bad
Old 11-15-05, 05:21 PM
PhantomZX
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should also get an alignment - most of the time, wear on one side of the tire is caused by toe being off. Camber can cause it too, but toe can cause much faster wear..
Old 11-15-05, 05:45 PM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PhantomZX
You should also get an alignment - most of the time, wear on one side of the tire is caused by toe being off. Camber can cause it too, but toe can cause much faster wear..
too bad we dont have a camber kit

when the heck is some one going to come up with one

sorry for the off topic
Old 11-16-05, 12:03 AM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

If the cost/hassle of remounting and balancing is negligable compared to the cost of the tires, then sure, go ahead and flip "often" if you wish. Otherwise, the rest of us are better off doing it only once over the life of the tire. The trick is doing it at the correct "halfway" point so that tire life is maximized, i.e.: both edges wear down to the 2/32" T.W.I.'s at the same time.

(On most tires, the last 2/32" of tread depth is not usable. And most new tires start with 10/32" or 11/32" of tread depth. So you are usually working with 8/32" or 9/32" of usable tread.)

As explained in the following thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=185290

... the optimal time to flip is when the sum of:

the usable tread left on the inside edge
+ the usable tread left on the outside edge
==================================
equals the total usable tread the tire had when new

If you flip it before that point, the original outside edge (which ends up being inside) will wear out before the rest of the tire.
And if you flip it after that point, the original inside edge (which ends up being outside) will wear out before the rest of the tire.

But if you use the summation method, both edges of the tire will wear out at the same time.

Last edited by PERRYinLA; 11-16-05 at 12:07 AM.
Old 11-16-05, 09:19 AM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PERRYinLA
If the cost/hassle of remounting and balancing is negligable compared to the cost of the tires, then sure, go ahead and flip "often" if you wish. Otherwise, the rest of us are better off doing it only once over the life of the tire. The trick is doing it at the correct "halfway" point so that tire life is maximized, i.e.: both edges wear down to the 2/32" T.W.I.'s at the same time.

(On most tires, the last 2/32" of tread depth is not usable. And most new tires start with 10/32" or 11/32" of tread depth. So you are usually working with 8/32" or 9/32" of usable tread.)

As explained in the following thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=185290

... the optimal time to flip is when the sum of:

the usable tread left on the inside edge
+ the usable tread left on the outside edge
==================================
equals the total usable tread the tire had when new

If you flip it before that point, the original outside edge (which ends up being inside) will wear out before the rest of the tire.
And if you flip it after that point, the original inside edge (which ends up being outside) will wear out before the rest of the tire.

But if you use the summation method, both edges of the tire will wear out at the same time.
wow