Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Toyo Tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-05, 05:34 AM
Neil64
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Toyo Tires

All,

I have narrowed down my choice of tire to the Toyo T1-R or T1-S. My local Toyo dealer really recommends the Proxes 4s but since I have a summer only tire (OE Bridgestone Potenza RE030s) and they have done right by me except for the horrible tramlining, I’ll replace them with a summer only tire.

A 2003 Consumer Reports test rated the Toyo T1-S number 2 behind the Goodyear F1 GSD3s. Next months Car & Driver rates the new Toyo T1-R number 8 out of 11 with the Goodyears taking number 1 again. They really don’t like the T1-R saying they don’t have very good dry grip. The personal reviews I have read on the net claim they grip well put them on a par with the Michelins which came in number 4.

Anyone out there have experience with both or either? Which one is better for average sprited street driving using the factory GS400 suspension on 235/45/17? Does either have a propensity to tramline? Other factors like quiet, longevity, wet grip, etc?

Any other info/endorsements/data will be appreciated.

Also, has anyone had their tires inflated with Nitrogen? What are the pros/cons?

Thanks..

Neil
Old 11-06-05, 06:10 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

i have the toyo t1r and have had the dunlaps sp9000 before that and the goodyears gs d3 before that and bridgestone so3 before that.. out of all three to me winner is goodyears.. they were super quiet , never tramlined , could not shake loose in the wet even when they were worn they still had incredible grip.. the toyo are great as well but the i find the sidewalls to abit stiffer , the dry grip not as good as the goodyears , wet they were just a notch below the good years , they are quiet though but they are very sensative to air pressure.. i have to run at least 40lbs in the fronts or else turn in response gets abit sloppy and they tramline

if goodyear were to release that tire in a 285/30/19 size they would have me for life , but all they have is 275/30 and that size wont cut it
Old 11-06-05, 06:31 AM
TexasGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if goodyear were to release that tire in a 285/30/19 size they would have me for life , but all they have is 275/30 and that size wont cut it[/QUOTE]

Why do you say the 275/30 won't cut it? You are running a 10" rear, correct? Is it just your personal preference? Just wondering since I had 275/30's put on and really wanted something a bit wider. Any rubbing?
Old 11-06-05, 06:41 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

285/30 fits perfectly with no rubbing and my rear coils are down to barely 1 finger gap.. never ever rubbed .. with proper offset you will have no problem

the reason i dont like the 275/30 size is the overall diameter of the 275 /30 is shorter by 1/4 inch give or take then the fronts at 245/35/19.. i wanted front and rear diameters to be equal and the 285/30 gives exactly that not to mention on a 10in rim its a perfect fit wereas the 275/30 gives a narrow fit.. the extra 1/2 in footprint also looks meaner from behind
Old 11-06-05, 08:35 AM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lexforlife
i have the toyo t1r and have had the dunlaps sp9000 before that and the goodyears gs d3 before that and bridgestone so3 before that.. out of all three to me winner is goodyears.. they were super quiet , never tramlined , could not shake loose in the wet even when they were worn they still had incredible grip.. the toyo are great as well but the i find the sidewalls to abit stiffer , the dry grip not as good as the goodyears , wet they were just a notch below the good years , they are quiet though but they are very sensative to air pressure.. i have to run at least 40lbs in the fronts or else turn in response gets abit sloppy and they tramline

if goodyear were to release that tire in a 285/30/19 size they would have me for life , but all they have is 275/30 and that size wont cut it
Prior to reading C&D and your comments, I was leaning toward the toyo t1r's. But between the Car and Driver test of tires and your comments, I will be switching over to goodyear next year. I also have dunlap sp 9000 and have never been that wild about them. If I let the pressure in the dunlaps drop below 38 psi, they start to feel sloppy and begin to exhibit tramline.
Old 11-08-05, 01:03 AM
Neil64
Intermediate

Default Car & Driver Tire Test attaced

I thought some of you might find this useful.

Neil
Old 11-08-05, 01:11 AM
Neil64
Intermediate

Default The attachment is too large. If you want a copy of the test, email me.

If you want a copy of next month's Car & Driver Tire Testt, email me at neil64@verizon.net. I have it in *.pdf. If someone can tell me where I can post it so anyone can get to it that would be great.

Thanks..

Neil
Old 11-08-05, 02:59 AM
ivesGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got the T1-S's and I love them. Much better than the Yokohamas I replaced with them. Had them about 6 months and haven't had any problems.
Old 11-08-05, 09:09 AM
VeilSideGS3
Lexus Test Driver

Great choice...i used to have yokohama AVS sport....too soft and went through them in 8-9,000 miles...

the TOYOS on the other hand have lasted me about 20,000 miles!!!!!! a GREAT tire and great staff....

I have the t1-s from me all the way
Old 11-08-05, 05:17 PM
camillian
Lead Lap

What's going on?
On another thread I compared the T1-R's to the goodyear's and the Pilot's and everyone was praising the T1-R's. Alot of members were saying the goodyear's are crap and now it sounds like not to many people are that satisfied with the T1-R's
Old 11-08-05, 07:49 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by camillian
What's going on?
On another thread I compared the T1-R's to the goodyear's and the Pilot's and everyone was praising the T1-R's. Alot of members were saying the goodyear's are crap and now it sounds like not to many people are that satisfied with the T1-R's

dont get me wrong the toyo t1r are good but i find the goodyears to be a winner in ALL areas esp comfort and noise

the toyo offer great wet traction but they seem to ride abit on the hard side as they are now wearing

again if goodyear would release that tire in a 285/30/19 size they would have me for life
Old 11-08-05, 09:23 PM
Lexy GS430
Lexus Test Driver

I've got the T1r, they are great all round tires for the money $880 otd. Noise level are low 8 out of 10 imo, comfort 8, dry 8, wet 8. Those t1r have been tested for awhile over seas, and have great reviews for what i paid.
Attached Thumbnails Toyo Tires-picture-032-re.jpg  

Last edited by Lexy GS430; 11-08-05 at 09:28 PM.
Old 11-09-05, 07:24 AM
pvo
Lead Lap

I just saw a 11 tires test from CarAndDriver:
11. Kumho Ecsta MX
10. BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KD
09. Bridgestone Potenza RE050A
08. Toyo Proxes T1R
07. Pirelli P Zero Rosso Asimmetrico
06. Dunlop SP Sport Maxx
05. Hankook Ventus R-S2 Z212
04. Michelin Pilot Sport PS2
03. Yokohama Advan Neova AD07
02. Continental ContiSportContact 2
01. Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3

The tire size they use for testing is 225/45/17
Old 11-10-05, 05:16 AM
Neil64
Intermediate

Default Bought the T1-Rs - Intial Impression

Based on good opinions and experiences from members of this site and my readings on the Net, I decided to give them a shot and discount Car & Drivers findings:

These are my observations:

My car has 85,800 miles and is all original with the optional OEM 17x8 5 spokes rims. It has not been lowered. My old tires, Bridgestone Potenza RE030s, had over 30K on them and all were severely worn on the inside edges. The edges were worn so that the canvas was just starting to show in a couple of spots but the inside edges were bald and smooth with a deep ridge worn at the very edge All of the tires still had about 2/32s of tread in the middle to the outer edge which was the opposite from what I expected. I ran 38 psi in the fronts and 36 psi in the rears to combat tramlining.

Other than tramlining like crazy, I found the Bridgestones to be an excellent all around tire for my use. Fairly quiet, great dry and wet grip and smooth once they were balanced on a Hunter Road Force Balancer. As I got 30K out of them, I probably wasn’t that hard on them but I do like going around curves and turns fast. Enough so that the tires smelled everyday as I entered work as I always take this long hairpin really fast. As they wore severely on the inside edges and I ran them towards over inflation, I guess I have alignment issues.

I have only put about 100 miles on the Toyos so far and am taking it easy breaking them in. I am running 36 psi (Toyo Tech Support recommended 35 psi) all around. I find them to have a similar ride to the Bridestones. Mind you, I have not taxed the tires yet but generally, they feel about the same discounting that they seem lighter (car seems a bit quicker and steering wheel feels easier to turn). I attribute this to having more tread and the tires still being covered with tire lube from the factory. I have not driven them in the rain yet. Also, they don’t seem to be picking up pebbles, leaves and other debris like the Bridgestones but I guess that can change.
They seem smooth but I think they could benefit from being balanced on a Hunter Road Force Balancer. The tires have a low pitched growl that you can hear at lower speeds with the windows up. I can also hear the tires impact foreign object with a mid/high range thud that sounds like slapping a kickball or a rubber ball. Not really too loud but I can hear it. The tires really got noisy on a concrete highway that I drove on. I was only on this highway for about .5 miles but it was really loud and obnoxious. I will revisit this highway soon and post my findings.

Toyo’s website and their technical support people stated that this tire has rim protection. Mine have absolutely none. I have seen a Vette with T1-Rs but I can’t recall if they had rim protection or not. I am going to be calling Toyo today to see if they should or not. Let me know if yours have it or not. I really benefited by the Bridgestone’s having rim protection and probably wouldn’t have purchased the Toyos if I had known they didn’t.

So far, these tires have not tramlined at all. I have driven on roads that caused the Bridgestones to try to yank the steering wheel out of my hand but the T1-Rs have been stable. I’ll continue to keep my fingers crossed.

Overall, seems like a really good replacement for the Bridgestones at $140.00 per tire. I sure hope they quiet down a little and never tramline. Time will tell about grip and treadwear but I am optimistic based on what they exhibit now. The only downside thus far is no rim protection. If I parallel parked frequently, I would not buy these tires and may end up returning them just for that fact. Tires are cheaper than rims plus a tire with a little side bulge looks a little more aggressive/muscular to me.

Now I have to find a good alignment shop in the Washington, DC metro area. If anyone has a recommendation or tips for getting a good alignment, I’d appreciate them.

That’s it for now. I’ll do another review as the miles rack up.

Thanks to all who offered info and opinions. I appreciate it.

Neil