Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Are these wheels and tires any good.

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-05, 07:22 AM
SharpCreas
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are these wheels and tires any good.

I've been hearing alot of good things about BestWheels and I did a search and came up with these wheels and tires= http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/19-50...2634QQtcZphoto
The wheels seem to be of decent quality but I need you guys opinon before I acually buy'em. I verified that the offset is +38 front/back and the weight of the wheels are 26lbs front and 28lbs rear. Are the offsets and weight ok?
The tires is what really concerns me as the Brand name is Continental and the series is Ultra High Performance. 235/35/19front and 265/30/19 rear. Are these tires any good because I dont hear too much about them.
Old 10-26-05, 07:33 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

They look nice, the offsets wouldn't look too bad but I've got a feeling the fronts will look sunken in compared to the rear. Continental tyres are good (and expensive).
Old 10-26-05, 07:55 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First, Continental tires are very good!!! I currently have Conti Touring Contact tires on the SC and they have been nothing short of fabulous!

The rims are not Best Wheels. Best is the name of the distributor. Those are RPM brand wheels. They are a knock-off brand (which isn't really a big deal to me). The general consensus on knock-offs though is you get what you pay for. IMO, if it's a daily driver and sees the road quite a bit.......I have no problem at all putting a decent knock-off on the car. But hey, look who's talking here.............I'm still rollin' on stockers!!!
Old 10-26-05, 08:07 AM
JZZ30TT
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SharpCreas
I've been hearing alot of good things about BestWheels and I did a search and came up with these wheels and tires= http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/19-50...2634QQtcZphoto
The wheels seem to be of decent quality but I need you guys opinon before I acually buy'em. I verified that the offset is +38 front/back and the weight of the wheels are 26lbs front and 28lbs rear. Are the offsets and weight ok?
The tires is what really concerns me as the Brand name is Continental and the series is Ultra High Performance. 235/35/19front and 265/30/19 rear. Are these tires any good because I dont hear too much about them.
If you want a cast, fake 3-piece, knock off wheel... they are OK. Offsets are pretty weak.

If you're looking for a nice set of wheels that will fit better, you may want to continue your search.
Old 10-26-05, 08:38 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Originally Posted by JZZ30TT
If you want a cast, fake 3-piece, knock off wheel... they are OK. Offsets are pretty weak.

If you're looking for a nice set of wheels that will fit better, you may want to continue your search.

I don't agree that +38 offset is weak. Here is a photo of IronCobra's setup with +35 offset. So figure roughly 3mm more in than these. That definately doesn't seem weak to me!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Are these wheels and tires any good.-ic.jpg  
Old 10-26-05, 10:26 AM
SharpCreas
Pole Position

Cool. got some good replys. Thanks for the help. I think I'm gonna roll with these since I'm not looking to be in any car show. Just daily use.
Old 10-26-05, 10:42 AM
JZZ30TT
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mkorsu
I don't agree that +38 offset is weak. Here is a photo of IronCobra's setup with +35 offset. So figure roughly 3mm more in than these. That definately doesn't seem weak to me!!!!
Then again his car isn't very low... at all. If it were lower you would be able to tell they are much more sunken in than they appear.

+38 is a pretty weak offset ESPECIALLY on a 9.5J wheel in the rear.
Old 10-26-05, 11:15 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Then again his car isn't very low... at all. If it were lower you would be able to tell they are much more sunken in than they appear.

+38 is a pretty weak offset ESPECIALLY on a 9.5J wheel in the rear.

I still don't agree. You're saying that the wheel would actually move closer to the center of the axle due to the lowering of the car. Can't happen! The top may tilt in, which is called negative camber. And, this is what people with aggressive offset do in order to make the tires fir under the wheelwells. If the car were in fact lowered, and he was running a camber adjustment kit (ir order to not have that extreme tilt), he would be rubbing his fenders continously.
Old 10-26-05, 04:48 PM
JZZ30TT
Lead Lap

I still don't agree. You're saying that the wheel would actually move closer to the center of the axle due to the lowering of the car. Can't happen! The top may tilt in, which is called negative camber. And, this is what people with aggressive offset do in order to make the tires fir under the wheelwells. If the car were in fact lowered, and he was running a camber adjustment kit (ir order to not have that extreme tilt), he would be rubbing his fenders continously.
Please, don't act like I don't know what I'm talking about.

I just put a 18x10 +7 on the rear of a SC, I'm pretty sure I have a good grasp on how offset and camber work... you on the other hand.

I'm not asking you to agree with me in terms of how it's looks becuase that is subjective. I'm just saying the offset could EASILY be lower w/o ANY rubbing issues. Which is why I said it is a weak offset.

Unfortunatly you don't have any experience with lower offset wheels, otherwise you would have known this. Right?
Old 10-26-05, 05:08 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Pass me the ball guys, I got this one:

19 x 8.5/9.5, +38 front and rear will look and fit just fine. In fact, those are the most often recommended widths and offsets for 19's, with tires sized 245/35/19 and 275/30/19. I had a set of Volks the same size, width and offset (+39/+37 - only off by a mm), and it fit just fine with no rubbing.

As far as quality, you get what you pay for. Those are cast, one-piece rims (the bolts are just cosmetic) and will bend fairly easily. If you buy those rims, I suggest driving carefully over potholes and road imperfections.
Old 10-26-05, 08:09 PM
JZZ30TT
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by pvmike1
In fact, those are the most often recommended widths and offsets for 19's,.
The reason they are the most often recommended is becuase the people doing the recommending don't always know what they are talking about
Old 10-26-05, 09:03 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by pvmike1
Pass me the ball guys, I got this one:

19 x 8.5/9.5, +38 front and rear will look and fit just fine. In fact, those are the most often recommended widths and offsets for 19's, with tires sized 245/35/19 and 275/30/19. I had a set of Volks the same size, width and offset (+39/+37 - only off by a mm), and it fit just fine with no rubbing.

As far as quality, you get what you pay for. Those are cast, one-piece rims (the bolts are just cosmetic) and will bend fairly easily. If you buy those rims, I suggest driving carefully over potholes and road imperfections.
a 9.5inch width on a rim with a +38 offset is not flush with the fender (at least on the SC)
Rims that are barely sunken are bearable in my eyes but I always prefer the flush or better look.

And yes, when the car is raised, it gives the illusion of a more flush look, but when you lower the car closer to the actual object, you can then really determine if the rim is flush or sunken.

As far as cast rims, I would'nt recommend them. It seems to me that the cheaper the SC's get. The younger the owners there will be. With youth, comes no money. That means cheapness all over the place, cheap rims/suspension/knock off kits and etc...

Is this the image we really want to portray onto our Lexus or SC brothers? nah...
Sorry I am getting carried away.
Anyway, the moral is...stay away from imitation rims.
Old 10-27-05, 06:27 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Please, don't act like I don't know what I'm talking about.

I just put a 18x10 +7 on the rear of a SC, I'm pretty sure I have a good grasp on how offset and camber work... you on the other hand.

I'm not asking you to agree with me in terms of how it's looks becuase that is subjective. I'm just saying the offset could EASILY be lower w/o ANY rubbing issues. Which is why I said it is a weak offset.

Unfortunatly you don't have any experience with lower offset wheels, otherwise you would have known this. Right?

Well obviously since you have put a set of 18x10 +7's on your car, that now makes you the be-all, end-all authority on wheel offsets and camber.

And why would you say I have no experience with low offset wheels? Have you hung out with me? Are you the wierdo I see down the block with his pants around his knees? I knew it!!
Dude, I don't know you from Adam, and you don't know me. I may not have aftermarket wheels on my car currently but I have plently of experience with EXTREMELY low offsets on vehicles.

I don't know if you fall into the group of younger SC owners that we have now (which I have no problem with), but if that is the case, I was running super low offsets in the mini-truck scene before you were even driving. I never profess to be the wheel answer man, and I can see that you too do have knowledge of wheel fitment. But please respect the fact that since a wheel has room for 2-4 more MM of offset that does not necessarily make it weak.
Old 10-27-05, 08:06 AM
JZZ30TT
Lead Lap

Well obviously since you have put a set of 18x10 +7's on your car, that now makes you the be-all, end-all authority on wheel offsets and camber.

And why would you say I have no experience with low offset wheels? Have you hung out with me? Are you the wierdo I see down the block with his pants around his knees? I knew it!! .

Awww that's cute, glad when you realize you are wrong you resort to this type of behavior. Shows just how old you really are.

And if you'd really like to know, I've also put a 18x10 +18 and a 18x10 +12 on the back of SC's too.... Oh and btw the car with the +7 wheels is only running 1.5 degrees of negative camber... lol @ camber correction kit.

So yes I have quite a bit of experience with SC wheel fitment, and SC fenders.

Dude, I don't know you from Adam, and you don't know me. I may not have aftermarket wheels on my car currently but I have plently of experience with EXTREMELY low offsets on vehicles.

I don't know if you fall into the group of younger SC owners that we have now (which I have no problem with), but if that is the case, I was running super low offsets in the mini-truck scene before you were even driving. .
Mini Trucks are cute, but they arn't SC's... so no you don't have experience with them, in reguards to how they fit on a SC.

I never profess to be the wheel answer man, and I can see that you too do have knowledge of wheel fitment. But please respect the fact that since a wheel has room for 2-4 more MM of offset that does not necessarily make it weak.
Try 10-15mm more. Hell even more than that if you'd like to get technical.

But seriously, just leave well enough alone. You personally think it's ok to run such a high offset and you think it looks fine, and that great. But when you SEE a car with a much lower stance and SEE a car with much better fitting wheels, and wonder what makes it looks so good... now you'll know why

Last edited by JZZ30TT; 10-27-05 at 08:10 AM.
Old 10-27-05, 08:29 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Awww that's cute, glad when you realize you are wrong you resort to this type of behavior. Shows just how old you really are.

And if you'd really like to know, I've also put a 18x10 +18 and a 18x10 +12 on the back of SC's too.... Oh and btw the car with the +7 wheels is only running 1.5 degrees of negative camber... lol @ camber correction kit.

So yes I have quite a bit of experience with SC wheel fitment, and SC fenders.

Mini Trucks are cute, but they arn't SC's... so no you don't have experience with them, in reguards to how they fit on a SC.

Try 10-15mm more. Hell even more than that if you'd like to get technical.

But seriously, just leave well enough alone. You personally think it's ok to run such a high offset and you think it looks fine, and that great. But when you SEE a car with a much lower stance and SEE a car with much better fitting wheels, and wonder what makes it looks so good... now you'll know why

Touche.
You are correct, I do not have the knowledge that it appears you do with wheel fitment on the SC as compared to other vehicles.

I now bow my head to your superior knowledge and obvious higher status on the evolutionary scale. Long live the church of low offset!!!! Long live the church of low offset!!!!

Quick Reply: Are these wheels and tires any good.