Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Can this be done??? (re-drill wheels)

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-05, 03:24 PM
BLAZE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can this be done??? (re-drill wheels)

Does anyone know if u could get wheels re-drilled? My brother's got a set of 20x9 and 20x10 original lorinser 5-spoke from a 2001 cl500 benz, and I could get them off him for $500 with new tires. Since he payed like $5500 less than a year ago I would be gettin' a steal. But the question remains...Can they be re-drilled to fit on the gs?
Old 10-11-05, 03:47 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by blaise
Does anyone know if u could get wheels re-drilled? My brother's got a set of 20x9 and 20x10 original lorinser 5-spoke from a 2001 cl500 benz, and I could get them off him for $500 with new tires. Since he payed like $5500 less than a year ago I would be gettin' a steal. But the question remains...Can they be re-drilled to fit on the gs?
cant you just buy adapters?
Old 10-11-05, 03:50 PM
TYPEII
Racer

Yes easily, tons of peeps have done this, going from 112mm to 114mm.
Old 10-11-05, 03:53 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

bro

dont do it

it will never ride good .. buy what is meant for the gs hub and correct bolt pattern and offset.. gs front end is way to sensitive to shimmy
Old 10-11-05, 04:12 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default agreed.

I agree - if you get them for $500 - sell them and buy the exact set that you want. your brother will understand.

c.

Originally Posted by lexforlife
bro

dont do it

it will never ride good .. buy what is meant for the gs hub and correct bolt pattern and offset.. gs front end is way to sensitive to shimmy
Old 10-11-05, 04:46 PM
BLAZE
Lexus Test Driver

Lex,Yeah, I know but I guess I just figured i'd try them out. I would re-sell them but he is in new york and I'm in florida, that means I would have to do shipping and all that. Also Lex, If the hubs are the same size and the bolt pattern is the only difference, u think it is still a bad idea? What about those hubcentric rings (If the hub is not the same)< I remember looking at his brakes and rotors and they were bigger than mine(no "rim hole to small to fit my hub" issues). Are u saying the re=drilling process is what's not recommended?
Old 10-11-05, 05:30 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Lex,Yeah, I know but I guess I just figured i'd try them out. I would re-sell them but he is in new york and I'm in florida, that means I would have to do shipping and all that. Also Lex, If the hubs are the same size and the bolt pattern is the only difference, u think it is still a bad idea? What about those hubcentric rings (If the hub is not the same)< I remember looking at his brakes and rotors and they were bigger than mine(no "rim hole to small to fit my hub" issues). Are u saying the re=drilling process is what's not recommended?
correct not good in all aspects bro
Old 10-11-05, 05:45 PM
BLAZE
Lexus Test Driver

O.K. Thanx for the info, guess it was too good to be true....lol
Old 10-12-05, 10:49 AM
jskim9
Rookie

It also depends on the design of the wheel as well. The portion that touches the hub, if taking off additional metal will weaken it, then you got safety issues. There's a lot of factors involved. I know a trusted guy that does it... www.wheelspacer.com
he tells me that it's safe. I've met him and he also made me custom spacers in the past. His work is flawless and if he says it can be done, nobody disputes him.