Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

20" Rims In My 06 GS430 Was a Failure

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-05, 10:28 AM
k_camacho1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 20" Rims In My 06 GS430 Was a Failure

I put 20 inch chrome rims in my black GS430, but the result was a disaster. Since the brake pads on the front tires of the GS430 are so big, u need to find rims with the perfect offset between 20-30. I put chrome rims with a 20 offset in my car, and 99% of the time when u make sharp turns the tires rub. The main problem is, when u sit people in the back of the car, thats when the real rubbing starts. U hit any slight bumps and u hear rubbing and scratching from the rear tires. The only way to solve the problem is if u raise your car about 1 inch...but forget it, my car is a lease and I cant do that. Anyways, if u are planning to put 20's in your 2006 GS300/430, u need to spend more money $$$ to raise the car and etc...not only on your rims.
Old 09-29-05, 10:31 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by k_camacho1
I put 20 inch chrome rims in my black GS430, but the result was a disaster. Since the brake pads on the front tires of the GS430 are so big, u need to find rims with the perfect offset between 20-30. I put chrome rims with a 20 offset in my car, and 99% of the time when u make sharp turns the tires rub. The main problem is, when u sit people in the back of the car, thats when the real rubbing starts. U hit any slight bumps and u hear rubbing and scratching from the rear tires. The only way to solve the problem is if u raise your car about 1 inch...but forget it, my car is a lease and I cant do that. Anyways, if u are planning to put 20's in your 2006 GS300/430, u need to spend more money $$$ to raise the car and etc...not only on your rims.

There are a few people here with 20s that have not reported any rubbing issues. I think your main problem is the offset. I even think there is a member with 22s on his 06 GS
Old 09-29-05, 12:32 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On my 2nd Gen, i rolled the fenders back as well to help. What width wheels did you use as well....i never heard of raising a car to make wheels fit....

I hope whoever you bought your wheels from will work with you to address this problem....good luck man...
Old 09-29-05, 03:10 PM
LexFather

1. What kind of rims?
2. What kind of shop sells u rims without explaining this?
3. Did you read here first and ask for help, to prevent this issue?

Sorry to hear about this. One thing I have learned from this site, its not just buying wheels and slapping them on. Its a very rigourous process to make sure you have the right wheel for your Lexus. Offset, the right size, weight, brake clearance etc etc.

Hope it works out for u
Old 09-29-05, 03:12 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

The issue is not your offset (20-30) as you said, its the fact that you need a wheel with bbk clerance. You could have a wheel with a 10offset that still would not work, conversely, you could have a 40 that will work!

As more and more cars are being introduced with oversized mono-block brakes, less experienced shops are being "exposed" for their lack of intricate knowledge. They tell you stuff like "yeah thats a Lex and the bolt pattern is still the same, it should work" LOL Another thing that these hack shops do, is attempt to force a square peg into a round hole, like suggesting you RAISE a vehicle to accomodate a wheel. Heck as someone else already noted, there is a 3rd GEN GS with 22" wheels that is LOWERED, just to give you an idea of how ludicrous that shops recommendation is! I personally have pictures of the vehicle and have seen it in person.

We can help, with a set of wheels that will fit properly, feel free to Send a Email for further assistance

Last edited by D2-AUTOSPORT; 09-29-05 at 03:15 PM.
Old 09-29-05, 04:07 PM
blue06gs
Driver

I have 20" rims and 245/35/20 tires on and i have NO rubbing. I'm sure the shop that sold you those rims sold you a set that wasn't meant for the 2006 GS. you have to be careful when your investing in rims and who you go through. Some shops only care for the money and dont bother checking if they will fit with no issues.

I'm also planning on lowering my car an inch and STILL wont have a problem with rubbing. I'll be sure to post up pictures once my car is lowered.
Old 09-29-05, 04:37 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I put 20 inch chrome rims in my black GS430, but the result was a disaster.
Whatever wheel dealer gave you advice did not do right by you. Like D2 said, it is all about BBK clearance (high disk). Offsets help but is not the most important spec. If you like 20s, don't let this experience sour you. You just need to get the correct wheels.
Old 09-29-05, 04:49 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

Right, offsets are one angle, so it wheel and tire width, so is the shape of the spokes often referred to as 'fitment' - sometimes the same rim comes with multiple fitments (AT THE SAME OFFSET) to expose more of less lip and to give more or less clearance behind the rim for brakes/suspension/etc.

k_camacho_1 - unfortunately you got hosed by someone who didn't know what they're talking about.
Old 10-01-05, 12:03 AM
StylinGS300
Driver

I just put on my 20" Vellano VSB wheels and I have no rubbing. I have a staggered wheel. 9" in the front with 38 offset and 10" in the rear with 42 offset. I have tried with two adults in the back already that's why I can say there's no rubbing with mine.
Attached Thumbnails 20" Rims In My 06 GS430 Was a Failure-g01.jpg  
Old 10-03-05, 09:22 AM
k_camacho1
Driver School Candidate

Ok so can anyone recommend any rims that fit and the prices? Could be chrome or black 20's...doesnt matter...
Old 10-03-05, 09:23 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Ok so can anyone recommend any rims that fit and the prices? Could be chrome or black 20's...doesnt matter...

Sure, we can help you with a set of wheels / tires for your car. Whats your intended budget wheels and tires?
Old 10-03-05, 09:26 AM
k_camacho1
Driver School Candidate

No more than $1,300....
Old 10-03-05, 09:28 AM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No more than $1,300....
Old 10-03-05, 09:36 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

No more than $1,300....

Wow thats a fairly tight budget. Even economy 20" wheels and tires are about 1900 or so plus frieght. This is for non staggered, cast designs too.

Just a heads up to give you a idea
Old 10-03-05, 09:43 AM
k_camacho1
Driver School Candidate

Not necessarily...I got my 20 inch chome rims for $1,500 here in Miami.

Quick Reply: 20" Rims In My 06 GS430 Was a Failure