Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

difference between single and multi piece wheels

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-05, 06:34 PM
twentyone
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default difference between single and multi piece wheels

i know that the answer is out there on CL somewhere, but search multi, two or three piece wheel on CL and i don't get a definitive answer. if someone could explain what's the difference, and what are the advantages/disadvantages to two or three piece wheels as opposed to just one piece, that'd be great. thanks in advance.
Old 06-26-05, 10:25 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

umm, just off the top of my head:

usually one piece wheel they will be lighter (in general), and 3 piece being a bit heavier

but with 3 piece, you get more variety on lip size, etc... and supposedly it's easier to get replacement parts too. though sometimes i don't find that true
Old 06-27-05, 08:17 AM
xravexboix
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rominl
umm, just off the top of my head:

usually one piece wheel they will be lighter (in general), and 3 piece being a bit heavier

but with 3 piece, you get more variety on lip size, etc... and supposedly it's easier to get replacement parts too. though sometimes i don't find that true
Technically there is no replacement part for a single piece wheel =P lol

The main idea between the two, from my view, is that the rim design can vary greatly because there is one "lip" design (is that called the barrel?) and the spokes are the only variation. Supposedly you can swap out spoke designs if it's from the same series of rim (example, Volk GT series)... but I'm probably wrong lol The only benefit that I'm sure on is that you can replace parts of the rim if any damage occurs (broken spoke... somehow..., bent lip beyond repair, etc) and it costs a bit less than buying a whole new rim.
Old 06-28-05, 07:55 PM
twentyone
Lead Lap

cool. thanks for the responses fellas.
Old 07-11-05, 08:30 PM
EFMJR
Lead Lap

I have a set of 20" lowenhart BR5's which are a three piece. They are pretty but The diffrence I have found;

#1) It creates a great space for water, brake dust, dirt, and reciecently chewing gum(dont know how but the whole side of my car had spider web effect gum on it) to collect.
#2) Its near impossible to get in there to clean. ( paint brush seems to work for me)
#3) Its where I have some of the chrome blistering (Not really bad) because of the previous owner apparently didnt care about #1 or #2
#4) When you wash your car, water gets traped behind the center and sslloowwllyy leaks onto the outer that you just spent massive amout of time taking care of #1 and #2, which is why i have to use and old towel to soak up all the water on the inside before I dry the outer side, and drive the car around the block then do the proccess again.
#5) When it comes time to deal with the chrome blistering, I can take the wheels apart and just have the outers rechromed at a fraction of the price. $340 for the set vs doing the whole wheels at about $1200 a set.
#6)On mine the outers and centers are chromed and the inner is magnesium so there is no risk of rust on the inner piece.

Dont get me wrong I love the wheels and damn glad They were on the car when I bought them. They look great on the car and The wheels and the color of the car is what caught my eye as I drove by the lot. I wasnt even looking for a car, but It was love at first sight. The looks are worth the extra drama for me and they do get the stares from innocent bystanders also. I just posted this to let you know they do seem to be a little more work to clean and maintain, but Im glad its alot simpler for me to repair when needed. I would even buy a another set reguardless of the extra work.
Old 07-11-05, 09:12 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

I found on my 3 piece wheel when I wash the car, I dry the whole car off but dont touch the wheels. I take it for a spin around the block and then park it. Then I clean off the windows and the car with some quick detailer. Then I clean the little puddle of water behind the face of the wheel and then clean the face and lip of the wheel. Havent had any problems with water leaking out to the face. It is a big difference in cleaning going from 1 piece to 3 piece, 1 piece being easier
Old 07-11-05, 09:36 PM
EFMJR
Lead Lap

I did try that mr clean piece of garbage and it was not very good, but i did notice if I rinsed my wheels with the filtered water, the wheels were easier to dry and had less spots. I live in fresno, ca. so when I wash my car, I have to drop the hose from rinsing and run for the towels to dry to avoid the spots. The water here is very hard and also its getting hot now. Even in the shade. Thats why I have to wash, dry, drive, dry again. In the process of driving it slings water all over the place. I still love the wheels though.
Old 07-12-05, 08:27 AM
sonbum1
Lead Lap

Cool

hey EFMJR use rubbing alcohol to get the gum off your wheel. It works great. the difference in the wheels is looks and price. Single peice wheels don't look all to good, but they run pretty cheap.
Old 07-12-05, 10:09 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

umm, when you clean 3 piece wheel, why not just stick a piece of cloth in the inner barrel and clean the inside by soaking all the water?
Old 07-12-05, 10:19 PM
EFMJR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by EFMJR
#4) When you wash your car, water gets traped behind the center and sslloowwllyy leaks onto the outer that you just spent massive amout of time taking care of #1 and #2, which is why i have to use and old towel to soak up all the water on the inside before I dry the outer side, and drive the car around the block then do the proccess again.
:
Thats what I do, but there still is some water that you cant get out, not alot , just enough to weep out after you walk away. Also the rotors, brakes, wheel ect who knows slings the water everywhere even though you thought you got it all. I even tried drying with compressed air and it just didnt do the job. Thats why I drive it the dry again. Oh well, I guess it would be considered quality time with the one you love.
Old 07-13-05, 02:05 PM
sonbum1
Lead Lap

multi piece wheels help offset the "unsprung" weight because they are generally made of alloy (lighter weight) metals. A single piece alloy wheel is very light but looses strength (more maliable) so they tend to bend eaiser. A single piece steel wheel while strong is heavy, "unsprung" (not factored into the suspension system) and does not transfer heat away from the rotors (as do alloy) Multi piece wheels have a realatively light body (alloy) with a sturdy rimand help make up for their "unsprung" weight by transfering heat from the over working rotors.