Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Is it possible to exchange inner barrels on lowenhart rims?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-05, 04:53 PM
lightwave76
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it possible to exchange inner barrels on lowenhart rims?

ok here is my situation.

I have a 19x9 Lowenhart BS5 where the inner barrel is damaged and cannot be fixed. (I've tried...)

So I'm wondering if I take a BR5 rim have it dissasembled and use the BR5 inner barrell on the BS5 would that work out?

Since the BS5 is a 3 piece and so would the BR5 I see no issue, but I'm no rim expert.

Anyone know if this would work?

If not I'll end up selling 3 Lowenhart BS5 rims. The thing that really sucks is all the rims are inner and outer polished and now one is no usable.

thanks guys,
Chris
Old 06-23-05, 07:41 PM
blueGS400
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if the rims is the same offset and width EXACTLY,,,,,,, then it will work, i did the same thing to one of my LD1 wheels, the outer lip was messed up and dazz will not sale just the lips so i had a br5 display wheel, with perfect width and offset, i disassembled both and switched them out,,,,make sure that you use aircraft quality silicone when resealing them and be sure to line up the bolts right before it dries, after u run a bead, then take a window tint squeegie and smooth out the bead over the two barrells,,,,,,,,,,i prefer to assemble the wheel completely before running my silicone bead but thats just me,,,,,,,,,,also you need to torque the wheels to 25-27 pounds, and no more or you will snap the bolt heads,,,,,,
Old 06-23-05, 09:14 PM
lightwave76
Lexus Test Driver

Bluegs400

Thanks for the info. I guess I know what I have to do then... Find or buy a rim..
Old 06-24-05, 09:04 AM
lightwave76
Lexus Test Driver

well I found out a replacement rim will cost me around $1100.

So my delima is this. Buy a new rim for $1100 then have it dissasembled and put on my other rim and then have the inner barrel polished to match the other rims which would be another $200.

Or do I just sell the 3 rims I have seperately?

Should I use the last rim as a paper weight for a huge stack of papers?
Old 06-24-05, 09:08 AM
DXC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lightwave76
well I found out a replacement rim will cost me around $1100.

So my delima is this. Buy a new rim for $1100 then have it dissasembled and put on my other rim and then have the inner barrel polished to match the other rims which would be another $200.

Or do I just sell the 3 rims I have seperately?

Should I use the last rim as a paper weight for a huge stack of papers?

My suggestions: sell the other 3
Old 07-11-05, 08:41 PM
EFMJR
Lead Lap

Just an idea, Why not make some really cool end tables for the living room, just make some legs for the three and drop a piece of glass on top, and whola, a pimped out table.
It would be a neat idea if your into that.

Heres another idea, Barstools for the bar or garage area (sometimes the same spot)

Stop me now I can come up with ideas all day long. Its a gift I guess.

Never mind me I am the other me today,
Old 10-19-05, 07:51 PM
EFMJR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by blueGS400
if the rims is the same offset and width EXACTLY,,,,,,, then it will work, i did the same thing to one of my LD1 wheels, the outer lip was messed up and dazz will not sale just the lips so i had a br5 display wheel, with perfect width and offset, i disassembled both and switched them out,,,,make sure that you use aircraft quality silicone when resealing them and be sure to line up the bolts right before it dries, after u run a bead, then take a window tint squeegie and smooth out the bead over the two barrells,,,,,,,,,,i prefer to assemble the wheel completely before running my silicone bead but thats just me,,,,,,,,,,also you need to torque the wheels to 25-27 pounds, and no more or you will snap the bolt heads,,,,,,

Whats the best place to find aircraft grade silicone, The silicone on the wheels now is a silver metalic type. and when torqeing the bolts, is their any paticular pattern to use or does it matter that much. Now that its winter, im going to tear my BR5's apart and have the outer barrels recromed. Turns out there is a really good crome shop who specializes in wheels here. I just reciently found out that I have one wheel which is cracked on the inner barrel lip that is at the shop as I type being fixed. Guess I bought the car with this problem. By what I hear the guy working on my wheel is sapose to be top notch, guess well find out in a day or so. Any info would be great since I want to do this right the first time.
Old 10-20-05, 11:23 AM
Memoryfab
Rookie

Find a barrel making shop that will spin form you one. There are a few in LA, NY and Canada. Do a google and it should come up. If not let me know I can refer you to some.

I have seen local shops form shells out for 200-300 each. Some euro BBS models need new barrels and I refer all people to get them made instead of contacting BBS Japan or BBS GMBH about it.