Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Tires Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-05, 11:42 PM
GSPOWER
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires Suggestions?

My Yokohama AVS db are finally worn out now... I was pretty happy with them... good all-weather traction and pretty good tread life... had mine for close to 40k miles. I am thinking of switching to a different set of tires because even though these tires are suppose to quiet, for some reason they are very very loud on these newly paved highway around my area.

I was wondering if anyone has suggestions on a good set of ultra-high performance all season tires? And please include your rating on traction, ride comfort, noise and tread wear.

Thanks!
Old 05-08-05, 02:09 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can always try P-ZERO'S I heard nothing but great things about those tires pretty pricy though$$$$
Old 05-08-05, 02:19 AM
LsportGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Toyo T1S
Old 05-08-05, 03:54 AM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LsportGS4
Toyo T1S
i agree

i had the Bridgestone S03's and when i was looking for a new tire

members told me to go with either Toyo or Falken

Falken they said was a grear tire for a great price

but i lucked out and when i got a set of rims from a member they had the T1s already

now i noticed a difference when i took off ..felt like i had better traction ....felt like they grabbed

the road right away ...and now with the LSd and FI it feels like all works together so well

i am very happy with the setup i have now

I also had a chance to have these in the rain but i didnt push it as ive read that guys
with LSD in the rain have had some problems but at highway speeds i felt vey secure

as far as road noise i cant remember so i guess i would have to say thats a good thing

i hear pirelli were very good too

good luck in your choice
Old 05-08-05, 06:22 AM
slawek65
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Toyo Proxes4
Old 05-08-05, 10:34 AM
UptownGS
Lexus Champion

Dunlop SP9000 similar to the TOyo w/ a bit less performance and but more comfort and better in rain.

Fuzion ZRi- even less performance but very comfortable IMO.

Falken ZIEX have always been pretty good to me.
Old 05-08-05, 11:53 AM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Some of the tires posted like Toyo t1s and dunlap sp9000 are summer tires. For all season, Mich a/s pilot sports are excellent handling and not too loud but are expensive. The toyo proxes 4 are also excellent. They have good handling and are cheaper and less noisy than Mich a/s pilot sports. Btw, the dunlop sp9000 handle great but are much louder than the mich a/s ps and toyo proxes4.
Old 05-08-05, 12:15 PM
Mr GS400
Pole Position

Michelin Pilot Sports in my book at great tires. I've had them on my GS400 for a few years. They have great wear and handling characteristics. I've got over 25K miles on mine and they still look really good.

They might be more costly, but , when you ammortize (with respect to wear) the cost is well worth it. Costco sells them at a decent price.

Good luck!
Old 05-08-05, 01:11 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

I will vouch also for Michelin Pilot Sport A/S. If cost is an issue, the next best alternative is the Pirelli P-Zero Nero M&S. These are Tire Racks top rated All Season High Performance tires. And they have a treadwear rating of 400 each. You can't go wrong with either choice.
Old 05-08-05, 04:32 PM
Shogun
Driver

Default Kumho ASX's

I just put these on after finishing up with the Sumitomo HTR+s.

Tire rack did a comparo against these and the P-Zero and they were extremely close in all categories.

They are all-season and the tread appears more aggressive in person. They have a wear rating of 400 (in 245/45/17) and were $98 per.

FWIW, I've had the Falken Ziex and I like the ASX better. The Falken's felt like they starting riding a little harder and the noise level was a little higher than I would have liked.

So far, I've had them for 5K and they ride extremely smooth and are fairly quiet.

Good luck,
Eric
Old 05-08-05, 06:18 PM
xravexboix
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by flipside909
I will vouch also for Michelin Pilot Sport A/S. If cost is an issue, the next best alternative is the Pirelli P-Zero Nero M&S. These are Tire Racks top rated All Season High Performance tires. And they have a treadwear rating of 400 each. You can't go wrong with either choice.
PZero Nero I went to these from Kumho Ecsta 711... PZero has NO tire noise... softer ride, and handles better . . . hands down, no contest! =D

I paid $135 per tire for the PZeros Nero MS (hooked up?! YUP). The only problem I've been having (I was warned by the sales guy) is that it tend to follow 'rain grooves' in the freeway. So you will sway left and right slightly on the freeway... it's not so bad where you fly into the other lane though... just annoying like you're driving in ridiculously high wind. =D
Old 05-09-05, 06:52 AM
Brandon@TR
Former Sponsor

Default A/s

It's already been said, but I will back the previous posters up with the Michelin or Pirelli as the 2 best performance A/S tires.
Old 05-11-05, 10:06 PM
GSPOWER
Driver

I just put on my new PZero Neros!!! I was surprised to see how much cheaper the Pirelli tires cost now compared to a few years ago. My 245/40 R18 is only $154 each on tirerack compared to the Pilot A/S which are well over $200. I remember the Pirelli tires before were at the same price as the Pilots. Its good to see competition and technology driving prices down!!!

So far my first impression is that the PZeros are quieter than my Yokohama AVS dbs and seems to ride a little bit softer. I havent had a chance to test out the traction yet but i'm looking forward to that I was also happy to see that the PZeros have a treadwear rating of 400. That is very good for a high performance tires.

Thanks for all your responses guys!!