Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

What COLOR is your CALIPER??

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-05, 09:51 AM
GSspeed
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What COLOR is your CALIPER??

if anyone has patined their brake calipers, post a pic of them, close shot, and wide shot with whole car displaying the calipers through the rims.
Old 05-07-05, 12:26 PM
ChuH
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GSspeed
if anyone has patined their brake calipers, post a pic of them, close shot, and wide shot with whole car displaying the calipers through the rims.
I painted my with Hi-Temp Glossy Black and Clear from DupiColor. Don't have a wide shot but I have a close up shot through the rims.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=120868

Chu...
Old 05-07-05, 02:39 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I painted my calipers with G2 paint. I painted them black because they are stock. The G2 was really easy to work with and came out pretty good.
Old 05-07-05, 06:10 PM
GSspeed
Lead Lap

chuh, the calipers look nice, i like that decal, where can i get one too
i want to paint the calipers this monday, or tuesday, and wanted to get those one too
dont they come off or start to lose their stickyness becuase of the heat that the calipers have
i like the black paint too,

Last edited by GSspeed; 05-07-05 at 06:16 PM.
Old 05-07-05, 06:24 PM
juan01
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looking good ChuH, I saw you the other night on Marine Drive... beautiful ride

I'm thinking of painting my calipers as well... maybe the next time I have to change brake pads. My front calipers were bought used and all rusted up.
Old 05-07-05, 06:54 PM
ChuH
Lexus Test Driver

chuh, the calipers look nice, i like that decal, where can i get one too
i want to paint the calipers this monday, or tuesday, and wanted to get those one too
dont they come off or start to lose their stickyness becuase of the heat that the calipers have
i like the black paint too,
Hi GSspeed:

I originally got the decals set from Mike (0260n5.7) but had to remake them because the Lexus Technician ruin the rear decals while changing the pads. I had some extra and had the local sign man scan and reproduce them in vinyl decals. I know I have some extra one lying around somewhere. If you want I can scan them and email you a copy of the outline (you can PM your email address that can accept attachment). You can then take it to the sign shop and have them cut it one their vinyl cutter. As for decals coming off, the secret is to paint Hi-Temp clear on it. My steps are paint 5 thin coats of Hi-Temp Black, wait 30 minutes after the final Black coat to install the decal, then paint 3 coats of Hi-Temp Clear. Between coats of paint you need to wait 15 minutes or so. My decals has been on over 2 years and never came off.

Whenever I wash my car I use a small foam brush that you get at the hardware store to wash the calipers. My painted calipers still looks like new.

Chu...

Last edited by ChuH; 05-07-05 at 07:02 PM.
Old 05-07-05, 07:00 PM
ChuH
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by juan01
Looking good ChuH, I saw you the other night on Marine Drive... beautiful ride

I'm thinking of painting my calipers as well... maybe the next time I have to change brake pads. My front calipers were bought used and all rusted up.
Hey Juan01,

Thanks for the compliment. Yeah, you should paint your calipers. I had the hard time finding the Dupli-Color Hi-Temp Paints on Guam. Got the clear from NAPA and the Glossy Black at K-Mart. If your calipers are rusted up get some brake cleaner and wire brush before painting the calipers. You want it very clean so the paint will stick properly. I used two cans of brake cleaners when I did mine.

Chu...
Old 05-09-05, 11:01 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

when i had my stock brakes, i painted them black. then i got ap racing front (black) so it's a good match now with the back.

with stock brakes, imho, i would only do either black or silver
Old 05-09-05, 11:05 PM
GSspeed
Lead Lap

sounds, good, i guss im going with black well should it be high gloss or flat black, ?
Old 05-10-05, 12:26 AM
ChuH
Lexus Test Driver

sounds, good, i guss im going with black well should it be high gloss or flat black, ?
By now you should of received the scanned images of the logo. I recommend high gloss black. I used Dupli-Color Gloss Black Engine Enamel (#DE1613) and Dupli-Color Clear Engine Enamel (#DE1636). A friend of my did it in Flat Black and it did not look good. Also, the smooth clear will resist dirt as well. Remember to make several thin coats (I did 5) of black (with 15 or so minutes between coats), then after 30 minutes or so carefully install the decals and finally several more coats of Clear (I did 3 with 15 or so minutes between coats).

Chu...
Old 05-10-05, 12:28 AM
GSspeed
Lead Lap

i did, thanks
will do these by the end of the week, and will post pics of my new rims, tires, brakes, and calipers
one week of modding will take place,whoooo wheeee