Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Please help with tire size???

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-05, 11:51 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts
Red face Please help with tire size???

I need help with tire size selection.
Finally after 7 years, I bought wheels for my GS

I bought l-sportline model iv 1 piece from a CL member, 18X8.5 with 45 offset all around.
I read rominl's wheel guide and wasn't sure b/c I'm not going with the recommendation

I want to use 245/45, yes 45 because I like to have that extra sidewalls. I know that it will look beefy as D2 described also
I have bilstein shocks now, and will LOWER with eibach springs sitting in my garage for 3 years

So will it rub with the 45 series because 40 is recommended? ANy other cautions or advice, like spacers.....? I won't be doing any BBK so no concerns there.
This is my first time asking for major help regarding any mods.

Thank you guys.
Old 04-22-05, 01:09 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

well how about having me answer your question as well

the offset is good, on the conservative side but at least you are fine.

with the fat 18 tire setup, you get more sidewall, but if you do full lock hard turns or back up the car, it will rub the front and back of the wheel well. no biggie, you shouldnt be going fast anyway

i don't know how low the eibach is, but if it's low enough and you hit big enough of a dip, you will rub the top of teh front wheel well

that's about it
Old 04-23-05, 12:31 AM
GS3Tek

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by rominl
well how about having me answer your question as well

the offset is good, on the conservative side but at least you are fine.

with the fat 18 tire setup, you get more sidewall, but if you do full lock hard turns or back up the car, it will rub the front and back of the wheel well. no biggie, you shouldnt be going fast anyway

i don't know how low the eibach is, but if it's low enough and you hit big enough of a dip, you will rub the top of teh front wheel well

that's about it
You would be the perfect person to answer this, so thank you rominl
Now I'm undecided. I have to check with the eibachs, but I think they'll give about 1.2-1.5" drop From what you're saying of the potential rubbings already, I'm afraid it might rub even more when I have load of passengers in the car
Well, at least this will answer the questions for future member who would want to use the fatter sidewalls.
I will post results and pictures when I decide on the tires.
Old 04-23-05, 01:17 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You are not the first to use this size as there have been NY members with bad roads doing this to help with the ride. My brother in law here in CA is running the same size. I would ask what his offset is but I don't think he'd know.

The rubbing rominl described has to do with the overall diameter being 1" over spec. You are running at the diameter of guys with 20s so you will experience all the problems like the guys with 20s. Again, with my brother in law, he is at stock height and he is already complaining about rubbing.

These rubs are all intermittent though. You won't really be able to do much about the dips, especially the ones on the freeway while you are going 70-80. This causes the suspension to compress really quickly and the top of the tires will hit the top of the wheel well liner. As for the others, as long as you are careful not to go full lock, you'll be OK. You eventually learn the car's tolerances and adjust your driving to accommodate them.
Old 04-23-05, 09:43 AM
GS3Tek

Originally Posted by Neo
You are not the first to use this size as there have been NY members with bad roads doing this to help with the ride. My brother in law here in CA is running the same size. I would ask what his offset is but I don't think he'd know.

The rubbing rominl described has to do with the overall diameter being 1" over spec. You are running at the diameter of guys with 20s so you will experience all the problems like the guys with 20s. Again, with my brother in law, he is at stock height and he is already complaining about rubbing.

These rubs are all intermittent though. You won't really be able to do much about the dips, especially the ones on the freeway while you are going 70-80. This causes the suspension to compress really quickly and the top of the tires will hit the top of the wheel well liner. As for the others, as long as you are careful not to go full lock, you'll be OK. You eventually learn the car's tolerances and adjust your driving to accommodate them.
He's at stock and he's rubbing? This means that with the eibach drop, it should help then. Sounds like I might be a little better off than him
I'm still a little concerned when I have passengers in the car, esp. in the back seat.

Thank you neo for the input regarding your brother in law's experience.
Old 04-25-05, 01:48 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
You would be the perfect person to answer this, so thank you rominl
Now I'm undecided. I have to check with the eibachs, but I think they'll give about 1.2-1.5" drop From what you're saying of the potential rubbings already, I'm afraid it might rub even more when I have load of passengers in the car
Well, at least this will answer the questions for future member who would want to use the fatter sidewalls.
I will post results and pictures when I decide on the tires.
well the rubbing on the front and back that's always there when you do full hard lock turns, but you are not going fast so it's ok

the rub when hitting a bad dip, i have that still too, but i mod teh fender a bit, and with how low my car is, i still haev to hit a pretty bad dip to get that rub. so personally i wouldn't call that a bad rub. but you will rub with that 1" over spec
Old 04-26-05, 03:43 PM
GS3Tek

Question

well the rubbing on the front and back that's always there when you do full hard lock turns, but you are not going fast so it's ok

the rub when hitting a bad dip, i have that still too, but i mod teh fender a bit, and with how low my car is, i still haev to hit a pretty bad dip to get that rub. so personally i wouldn't call that a bad rub. but you will rub with that 1" over spec
Thank you neo and rominl for your help.

I guess one last question.
If I go with 245/45 should I lower the car, considering neo's brother in law already rub with stock height?
Old 04-26-05, 08:59 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Thank you neo and rominl for your help.

If I go with 245/45 should I lower the car, considering neo's brother in law already rub with stock height?
please, you should ALWAYS lower the car. your overall diameter is just like 20s, and i have 20s. do you see me NOT lowering mine?
Old 04-27-05, 12:17 AM
Neo
The One

Yup. Drop it.

The rub he is experiencing has more to do with the diameter (which will also be your issue) so you can't really avoid it. Dropping it won't make it adversely worse. You'll just have to relearn driving in those situations. There is also the matter of offsets. Yours is pretty conservative. I have no idea what his offsets are. He went and got his setup on his own from some wheel/tire shop. They probably spec'ed it for him since he has no clue on width, offsets, ... I doubt he'd be able to tell me even if I asked.
Old 04-27-05, 09:32 AM
GS3Tek

Thumbs up Drop it is-Thank rominl and neo

Thank rominl and neo

I deserve this and this for having 2nd thoughts about dropping it

And how can I forget rominl's sig????????

IF my offsets are more appropriate, then I shouldn't have to worry about the width then?
Umm, I basically know the answer to that question, just thinking out loud.
Old 04-27-05, 01:21 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Thank rominl and neo

I deserve this and this for having 2nd thoughts about dropping it

And how can I forget rominl's sig????????

IF my offsets are more appropriate, then I shouldn't have to worry about the width then?
Umm, I basically know the answer to that question, just thinking out loud.
yes, i hate to say, but i think my sig is golden

well with 8.5 and 10, with the right offset you will have minimal rubbing for sure. and with the oversize tires, you almost just need to worry about the front, top of the fender
Old 04-27-05, 01:27 PM
Neo
The One

well with 8.5 and 10, with the right offset you will have minimal rubbing for sure. and with the oversize tires, you almost just need to worry about the front, top of the fender
Well, to make it even simpler for the rear, it is 8.5 (since he has 8.5 +45 all around). There really should not be any problems in the rear.
Old 04-27-05, 01:56 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Neo
Well, to make it even simpler for the rear, it is 8.5 (since he has 8.5 +45 all around). There really should not be any problems in the rear.
yeah, definitely a lot of space to go. the rear wheel well is big
Old 04-27-05, 02:51 PM
GS3Tek

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Neo
yeah, definitely a lot of space to go. the rear wheel well is big
That's very satisfying to hear about the rear
I'll make sure to put the heavy people in the back, trunk included

BTW, just received the wheels today

I would like to thank the both of you again for your help.

Somehow, not too many venture into this tire section because it is somewhat misleading due to the description "tire rack's " and it doesn't get much exposure as compared to the 2nd GS, car chat, or clubhouse section.
Old 04-27-05, 09:36 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

That's very satisfying to hear about the rear
I'll make sure to put the heavy people in the back, trunk included

BTW, just received the wheels today

I would like to thank the both of you again for your help.

Somehow, not too many venture into this tire section because it is somewhat misleading due to the description "tire rack's " and it doesn't get much exposure as compared to the 2nd GS, car chat, or clubhouse section.
hahhaa this is definitely a fun forum to be in, a lot of nice discussions here