Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Bought a bent wheel - @#$%!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-05, 09:27 PM
jpcdmd
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Bought a bent wheel - @#$%!

I bought a set of 20" chrome AC Supremes, supposedly brand new, from a guy in Whittier CA (I think he owns a wheel shop) last September. He was auctioning a set of rims on Ebay, which I didn't win, but he said he had a second set, which I did purchase. I was told they were high disk 8.5"f and 9.5" rears, 43 offset. Met him off the freeway in Whittier and paid cash, $1900, in the parking lot of a gas station. He said all the wheels were new, I did a quick inspection of the faces, all looked good. One wheel didn't have a box. Kept them in my garage until now. I bought some new Michelin Pilot Sports AS tires and took the rims to my local Discount Tire to have them mounted.

Low and behold, the front rims scrape the calipers barely, and ONE OF THE REAR RIMS IS BENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

motherf----- !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Some ahole tried to mount a tire with the rim face-up too, the tire installer could tell from the scratches on the edge of the inner rim.

The 8.5s must be standard disk. Luckily I have a couple 3mm superthin spacers I will use for the fronts with a set of hubcentric rings, should keep hubcentricity and make them 40 offset. I had shaved the calipers a little from an old set of rims, and the spacers provide just enough clearance.

Now I have to get the rear wheel straightened I am going to take it to Rim Pro of Phoenix. anybody ever had any experience with them? They have three locations across the US.

heres pics of bent rim
Attached Thumbnails Bought a bent wheel - @#$%!-bentwheel1.jpg  
Old 04-12-05, 09:28 PM
jpcdmd
Advanced

another pic
Attached Thumbnails Bought a bent wheel - @#$%!-bentwheel2.jpg  
Old 04-12-05, 09:29 PM
jpcdmd
Advanced

one more pic

lesson learned.....thoroughly inspect all wheels!!!!!!!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Bought a bent wheel - @#$%!-bentwheel3.jpg  
Old 04-12-05, 09:31 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

man that really sux sorry to hear about that i think mounting the tires with the face up, taht's the scariest part...
Old 04-12-05, 09:33 PM
jpcdmd
Advanced

oh yeah, they're for my 2001 LS430.

8.5+40 f and 9.5+43 rear should be good, eh?

what is stock, 45 or 50?
Old 04-12-05, 09:34 PM
jpcdmd
Advanced

fortunately all the outers look good, so I shouldn't have to get anything rechromed. Do you think they can repair that without taking the rim apart?
Old 04-12-05, 09:37 PM
jpcdmd
Advanced

by the way, I took these pics with a Canon SD200 digital camera, smaller than the size of a pack of cigarettes and for $269. I bought it for my GF for Christmas, if you're loooking for a nice little camera, this one fills the bill. Pics taken in my garage with very weak lighting and everything just set to Auto.
Old 04-13-05, 11:44 AM
DXC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jpcdmd
I bought a set of 20" chrome AC Supremes, supposedly brand new, from a guy in Whittier CA (I think he owns a wheel shop) last September. He was auctioning a set of rims on Ebay, which I didn't win, but he said he had a second set, which I did purchase. I was told they were high disk 8.5"f and 9.5" rears, 43 offset. Met him off the freeway in Whittier and paid cash, $1900, in the parking lot of a gas station.......

Even $2900 is already a great deal, $1900, feel sorry, man...............
Old 04-13-05, 01:30 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by jpcdmd
fortunately all the outers look good, so I shouldn't have to get anything rechromed. Do you think they can repair that without taking the rim apart?
seems like it's just the inner lip bent. if so then they should be able to just hammer it out
Old 04-13-05, 01:46 PM
jpcdmd
Advanced

dropped it off at RimPro of Phoenix today, should be no problem. I'll pick it up Friday and post about how it looks.
Old 04-15-05, 07:35 AM
blueGS400
Lead Lap

ive fixed wheels like that before, i just use a dayton hammer, its lead and heavy but the metal is soft and gives when it strikes the inner wheel,,,,,,dayton hammer always works for me, u couldve bought one for 20 bucks and saved yourself time and money,,,,,,,,,,,a little hint if anyone tries to do so, leave tire on but deflate, the perimeter of the tire helps to make sure u dont bend the lip the oposite way, but be careful not to puncture the tire with the hammer, kinda tricky but easy once u do a few
Old 04-15-05, 10:28 AM
johnnyt
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That little bend isnt a big deal, you still saved money on the wheels.
Old 04-15-05, 02:15 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

It sucks that it was bent but if there are no other problems you got a pretty good deal. Cant wait to see pics of them mounted on your LS
Old 04-17-05, 03:42 AM
jpcdmd
Advanced

the saga continues.................

I got the bent wheel back, most of the bend was gone, there was still a very slight amount visible bent. $110
I was able to get the tires mounted (Michelin Pilot Sports AS). I was told the front wheels were +43, same as the rears, but I measured them before I took them to Discount Tire and it turns out they are +38 offset. Also, the a-hole who sold them to me said they were high disk, which they aren't because they were hitting the calipers. Incidentally, I'd already shaved the calipers a millimeter or two from my old Kaotik wheels, so I'm assuming they're standard disk.

Luckily, I had saved my two 3mm spacers that I was originally using with the Kaotiks. They provided enough clearance for them to mount the wheels on the front, and I was rolling on my new 20's. On of the wheels was missing the valve stem also, no big deal. Unfortunately, my quest to have +43 offset front wheels now left me with +35 offset fronts.

When I got home I was cleaning them up and noticed the chrome finish on the bent wheel seemed rough in some areas, like the same way paint overspray feels when you try to polish it. I don't know what the hell happened to this friggin one wheel, but someone did a number on it. The face appears like new though.

I'm going to grind the calipers down a little more to eliminate the spacers and get back to +38. Anybody know how much you can grind off the caliper face and still be safe?

Car looks awesome though, I'll post pics shortly.
Old 04-17-05, 07:34 AM
blueGS400
Lead Lap

hurry and post pics

Quick Reply: Bought a bent wheel - @#$%!