Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Am I nuts?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-05, 04:11 PM
Brian S
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I nuts?

See pic. A simple yes or no will do.

I'm kinda torn between painting the cladding black to match the body ( See: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=158218 for my photoshopping), and leaving the rims stock this year. Or, getting some nice executive looking dish rims like the ones I'm looking for in this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=158588 . Or, doing a complete 180 and getting some black rims as shown below. (Edit: these are SSR Professor Sp1's) She will be lowered soon and is getting 5% tint tomorrow.

I'm going for bad-*** or bad-*** executive...on a slight budget.

Thanks,

Brian
Attached Thumbnails Am I nuts?-ls400side-ssr.jpg  

Last edited by Brian S; 04-12-05 at 08:24 PM.
Old 04-12-05, 04:17 PM
Brian S
Lead Lap

Here's a before:
Attached Thumbnails Am I nuts?-ls400side.jpg  
Old 04-12-05, 04:22 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,297 Posts

no ............

Last edited by DaveGS4; 04-12-05 at 06:22 PM.
Old 04-12-05, 05:00 PM
newyorksc
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

i dont think the cladding looks bad, as is. i'd say you need some new wheels first. get something vip! very nice car btw..

Old 04-12-05, 05:20 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts
Default ...

I actually like those wheels. Just me though, I've got a thing for blocky 5 spoke wheels. I've actually considered those wheels (SSR Professors in the satin finish) but I'm getting something similar that offers me a bit more options with the fitments and offsets. Anyhow, I got to photoshopping your car (I was bored and yeah, I agree, paint the claddings and get the wheels...but wheels first, there is no other mod that can make such a dramatic impact to the look of a car other than gettin's some fly lookin' rims, with a drop to compliment it of course...anyhow enough of my rambling...I think this is the look you're trying to go for..and if ya' ask me...I think it's DAMN HOT!

Last edited by Seize; 04-14-05 at 02:52 PM.
Old 04-12-05, 05:26 PM
Brian S
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Seize
I actually like those wheels. Just me though, I've got a thing for blocky 5 spoke wheels. I've actually considered those wheels (SSR Professors in the satin finish) but I'm getting something similar that offers me a bit more options with the fitments and offsets. Anyhow, I got to photoshopping your car (I was bored and yeah, I agree, paint the claddings and get the wheels...but wheels first, there no other mod that can make such a dramatic impact to the look of a car other than gettin's some fly lookin' rims, with a drop to compliment it of course...anyhow enough of my rambling...I think this is the look you're trying to go for..and if ya' ask me...I think it's DAMN HOT!
Yeah, I originally photoshopped the rims on the black cladding, but I wanted to see what people thought about it with the grey, since that's how it's gonna look for the rest of the year if I get rims.

I've been anti five spoke for the LS, just becuase I think it needs something more executive looking. But I don't think those look too bad. I'm also thinking black dish wheels are an option, so I get the bad-assedness of black, along with the executive of one these VIP type wheels. I just don't have the budget for a new set of Walds, Rays or Works though.

Even with all this, I'm not completely sure about the black. It makes a bit more of a statement , and it seems be the rage these days. But I just don't want to get stuck with a $2k+ fad that fades in two years. (Edit: though, haven't seen it on an LS, so I got that going for me.) Polished is kinda timeless. Don't know. But I do think black, tinted and lowered with black rims would look pretty nice.

Thanks,

Brian

Last edited by Brian S; 04-12-05 at 05:32 PM.
Old 04-12-05, 06:51 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I personally think those wheels look real hot. Esp if your going to monotone your LS
Old 04-13-05, 11:31 AM
Brian S
Lead Lap

Okey dokey. I got some info. from tire rack about offsets:

19x8.5 - 37mm offset
19x9.5 - 43mm offset

18x8.5 - 43mm offset
18x9.5 - 43mm offset

He said using the recommended 245/40 tire on the 8.5 width tires, they are saying it is very aggressive and a fender roll may be necessary. This is even with the 18s. Looking at these offsets, do you think this is likely? I'm thinking of going the same width all the way around for ease of rotation and because the fat tires needed for the rear are expensive. My other dilemma is to go with 18s or 19s. I am worried both about ride quality, and also bending the rims. I live in Michigan, and will be spending a couple months in NY, and neither place has nice roads. I cannot afford to be replacing and repairing rims, so I need something low maintenance.

Also, has any one seen the SP1s in person? Do they spokes really curve out far from the rim?

I've been look around, and the 18" racing hart is also an option:
http://www.wheelsnext.com/product.phtml?p=1329

And, not crazy about the brand, but there are also these:

Lastly, if I had the money, I'd be interested in the black equips shown here:
http://www.work-wheels.co.jp/wheels/...dhp/eudhp.html

So, what do you think? Might I have to roll fenders? I want something close to the edge, but I'm not so **** I would like to get into alignment issues or rolling fenders? Should I be worried about bending rims and ride with the 19s? What do you think about the other rims?

Thanks!

Brian
Old 04-13-05, 10:49 PM
Brian S
Lead Lap

More playing around in photoshop:
Attached Thumbnails Am I nuts?-ls400side-clublinea.jpg  
Old 04-14-05, 12:50 AM
Brian S
Lead Lap

And the new Lexus Spider wheels...
Attached Thumbnails Am I nuts?-ls400side-spider.jpg  
Old 04-14-05, 01:06 AM
Brian S
Lead Lap

And a quick photochop with the Work's
Attached Thumbnails Am I nuts?-ls400side-work.jpg  
Old 04-14-05, 01:15 AM
Dsmart
Pole Position

I suggest getting wheels that are 1" smaller then the ones that are in the before pic, that would be something to see
Old 04-14-05, 01:26 AM
EXE.UCF10
VIP|EXEstyle セルシオ

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

No, you're not nuts.

If I were you, I'd go with wheels first for the same reason that Sieze stated and also, because you may opt for a body kit later on which will be easier to color match if you're repainting the lower panels along with it. If you're worried about bending your wheels, then you should definitely consider the quality of the wheel.

The Zenetti and Racing Hart wheels you posted are knock-offs of original wheel designs and are fairly poor in quality when in comes to finish, strength, and most likely weight as well. The Club Linea Barlettas, Work Euroline DH, or SSR SP-1's would be far better choices. I have seen the SP-1's in person, but I don't remember how far the spokes curve out...I think it was around 1.5" to 2".
Old 04-15-05, 03:36 AM
Brian S
Lead Lap

Welp, I don't think I will have the pleasure of new wheels on my ride this year. She blew a head gasket yesterday:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=159005

A 98 LS400 with 95,800. Unbelievable.
Old 04-15-05, 04:49 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Brian S
Welp, I don't think I will have the pleasure of new wheels on my ride this year. She blew a head gasket yesterday:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=159005

A 98 LS400 with 95,800. Unbelievable.
Ouch sorry to hear. How much for the repair & is there any engine damage?

Quick Reply: Am I nuts?