Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Does anyone have an opinion on Drag Radials?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-05, 03:38 PM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Does anyone have an opinion on Drag Radials?

Does anyone have any opinions or experience with drag radials? My car has finally reached the point where I don't drive it if it's wet outside or if it's cold. So I figure it's time to go all the way.
Old 04-11-05, 03:51 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by verylost
Does anyone have any opinions or experience with drag radials? My car has finally reached the point where I don't drive it if it's wet outside or if it's cold. So I figure it's time to go all the way.
Drag radials as in taking it to the track?
Old 04-11-05, 04:10 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

I'd only consider drag radials when taking it to the track... not for everyday dry driving. You'll have tires wear out very quickly (~10+ times faster than ultra-sport type street tires from what I've read) and also will put an extreme load on your entire driveline during hard launches.

I've got a set of OEM 16s I'm considering putting drag radials on... but only to take to the track and back.

Unless you've got tremendous wheelspin issues and are going to be going to the track all the time, IMO pass on this idea.
Old 04-11-05, 06:19 PM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
I'd only consider drag radials when taking it to the track... not for everyday dry driving. You'll have tires wear out very quickly (~10+ times faster than ultra-sport type street tires from what I've read) and also will put an extreme load on your entire driveline during hard launches.

I've got a set of OEM 16s I'm considering putting drag radials on... but only to take to the track and back.

Unless you've got tremendous wheelspin issues and are going to be going to the track all the time, IMO pass on this idea.
The car I am shopping drag radials for is not anything remotely close to a daily driver. She is only driven whenever its sunny and dry and will most likely put more miles on the odometer at the track than anything else. I don't think this car has seen rain in 2 years.
Old 04-11-05, 07:34 PM
BUSTN
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually, i had a few sets for my last car.I actually preferred the slicks over the dr's.What size do you plan on running?Their are a few kind of dr's then their are "cheater slicks".The bfg's are pretty good but wear out pretty quick especially if driving back and forth to the track.The nitto's are alot more stable in the rain and will last alot longer.mickey Thompson does make some 17" et streets now too.If you are going to go with a "cheater slick", I'd go with the hoosier quick time pro's.Their are alot of sizes available.You need to do some calculating to see what od and width will benefit you the most in the 1/4.Good luck.
Old 04-11-05, 09:01 PM
Vegassc400
Lexus Champion

I've got a set of drag radials on 2 of my stock wheels. They're only good for the track. If it started to rain, my rear wheels would break loose all the time. Definately a no no for daily drivin.
Old 04-11-05, 09:31 PM
BUSTN
Instructor

Originally Posted by Vegassc400
I've got a set of drag radials on 2 of my stock wheels. They're only good for the track. If it started to rain, my rear wheels would break loose all the time. Definately a no no for daily drivin.
The nitto's are really good compared to the others in the rain.Check out the tred pattern compared to the bfg's.
Old 04-11-05, 10:10 PM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BUSTN
Actually, i had a few sets for my last car.I actually preferred the slicks over the dr's.What size do you plan on running?Their are a few kind of dr's then their are "cheater slicks".The bfg's are pretty good but wear out pretty quick especially if driving back and forth to the track.The nitto's are alot more stable in the rain and will last alot longer.mickey Thompson does make some 17" et streets now too.If you are going to go with a "cheater slick", I'd go with the hoosier quick time pro's.Their are alot of sizes available.You need to do some calculating to see what od and width will benefit you the most in the 1/4.Good luck.
Thanks for the information. I have some researching to do, but every bit of info helps.