Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

20's vs 19's on a GS4 (I need help please)

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-05, 09:16 PM
supraman95
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 20's vs 19's on a GS4 (I need help please)

I have been searching for about 2 hours on the board trying to figure out what to get. I really want a set of Axis Milano's or Mod 7's. I know there are several ways to do this but here is what i am shooting for.

I would like decent ride
I will be lowering the car (not slamming) probably with the L-tuned springs.
I dont want rubbing that cannot be prevented (I dont mind altering the liner)
(I would love to run 20's if this is possible with the above)

I guess 20x9 and 10 (275 30 rear and 245 35 front) is the safe way to go in order to prevent rubbing here, let me know otherwise though

For 19's I guess 19x8.5 and 19x9.5 (275 30 rear and 245 35 front) would be the way to go here.

Could you guys give me insight on tire sizes, rim widths, and offsets that would keep me away from rubbing. I would love to do the 20's if I can avoid rubbing with minor altering, and I dont want the tucked slam look and rough ride.

Feel free to change any tire/ wheel sizes above if I have listed them wrong.

Would 20's be able to work with an alignment?

I am sorry for all the questions guys, thanks so much for any and all help.
Old 04-10-05, 10:10 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Honestly your research has prepared you a little better than you think. You have a pretty good grasp on what will need to be done to run the wheels that you want, along with the Ltuned.

I cant think of the Axis specs off hand, but I think the 20x9 is something like 38et. The rear is probably high 30s to low 40s. You should be fine with mild fender mods

We carry Axis wheels as well. EMAIL ME , and I'll try to help you out.

Good luck.
Old 04-10-05, 11:45 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i think with 20x9 for the front, your offset will be around 38, and you WILL rub when you hit dips

basically if you want to avoid rubbing once and for all, go with 19s and normal tire setup, get 8.5 and 10 with more conservative offset settings. that's a better guarantee

every time you touch 20s or 19s with fat setup, you start to get close to the limit
Old 04-11-05, 05:49 AM
supraman95
Driver School Candidate

SInce the 20x9's will have a greater chance in rubbing, how about a 20x8.5 and 20x9.5? with 275 and 235 tires? WOuld this decrease my chances in rubbing? I noticed the Milano's come in these sizes. Anybody got some pics of Milanos on the GS4?

thanks for the replies guys, it helps to hear the specs and get knowledge when you run something like this on our cars.
Old 04-11-05, 07:38 AM
supraman95
Driver School Candidate

also will I have problems with either of these wheels with a Supra brake kit conversion? I will be doing this as well since I have a 94 Turbo supra I am putting a brake kit on. I just want to make sure that these wheels will clear them.

Is there anything special you have to do to bolt the supra brakes on a GS4?
Old 04-11-05, 08:49 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by supraman95
also will I have problems with either of these wheels with a Supra brake kit conversion? I will be doing this as well since I have a 94 Turbo supra I am putting a brake kit on. I just want to make sure that these wheels will clear them.

Is there anything special you have to do to bolt the supra brakes on a GS4?
whether the wheels will fit over the supra tt brakes that's up to the design of the wheels spoke. offset has something but not all to do with it, the spoke design does
Old 04-11-05, 08:49 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

SInce the 20x9's will have a greater chance in rubbing, how about a 20x8.5 and 20x9.5? with 275 and 235 tires? WOuld this decrease my chances in rubbing? I noticed the Milano's come in these sizes. Anybody got some pics of Milanos on the GS4?

thanks for the replies guys, it helps to hear the specs and get knowledge when you run something like this on our cars.
if you get 8.5 with the right offset then you should have no major rubbing problem. and you can just stay with 10 in the back
Old 04-11-05, 10:07 AM
supraman95
Driver School Candidate

Sounds like all of the rubbing problems are in the front. I will see if I can get some info on brake clearing on the calipers by doing some more searching.

I noticed that for lowering everyone likes the splaires and L-tuned springs and I want as close to stock ride as I can get.

If I go 19's what would you guys recommend as far as smooth ride and good stance?
Old 04-11-05, 11:24 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
if you get 8.5 with the right offset then you should have no major rubbing problem. and you can just stay with 10 in the back
Not when the offset is in the high 30s. It will stick out a little beyond the fender and if the car is low enough, it will rub too. It can be fixed with some fender work but the 9.5 will work "better".

Sounds like all of the rubbing problems are in the front.
The front has additional issues because the wheels turn so it is not just up and down that is potentially problematic.
Old 04-11-05, 12:13 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Neo
Not when the offset is in the high 30s. It will stick out a little beyond the fender and if the car is low enough, it will rub too. It can be fixed with some fender work but the 9.5 will work "better".

The front has additional issues because the wheels turn so it is not just up and down that is potentially problematic.
true, offset is always an issue. but with high 30s you just need to shave the fender and you are good to go a lot easier than front

but of course, for easy setup, with 10 you need to go 43 and above
Old 04-11-05, 02:33 PM
400DGRZ
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

If I go 19's what would you guys recommend as far as smooth ride and good stance?
I have 19X8.5/19X10. Front offset is 38 rear is 45.

Old 04-12-05, 05:02 AM
supraman95
Driver School Candidate

Looks like I will be going with 19x8.5 and 19x9.5. I will need to get you guys consensus on a good offset for these and I will be good to go. I will be putting my supra turbo brakes on the car too at some point

Does anyone know if the Supra brakes are alot bigger in girth than the stock ones, in other words do you think I will run into problems with clearing the calipers with the wheels? I will probably go Milano's for wheels.
thanks
Old 04-12-05, 09:00 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Looks like I will be going with 19x8.5 and 19x9.5. I will need to get you guys consensus on a good offset for these and I will be good to go. I will be putting my supra turbo brakes on the car too at some point

Does anyone know if the Supra brakes are alot bigger in girth than the stock ones, in other words do you think I will run into problems with clearing the calipers with the wheels? I will probably go Milano's for wheels.
thanks
yes the supra tt calipers are HUGE cmpared to the stock, not even funny. you definitely NEED to be very careful, that caliper is BIG. a lot of people haev trouble fitting
Old 04-12-05, 08:51 PM
supraman95
Driver School Candidate

Well crap!!! I had decided on 19" staggered Milano's until everyone bursted my bubble and told me they were on back order for like 6-8wks. I have also noticed that you have more options, with 20", as far as tires and wheels plus they both seem to be cheaper. Therefore I have gone back to look at 20's again.

The whole downside to 20's for me is this:
How much worse is the ride going to be over the 19's?

If I run the Espliar springs, because of their great ride, will it still look good and not slammed or tucked???

I am pulling my hair out!!! All over sizes and just two different wheels!!!!
Old 04-15-05, 10:56 AM
johnnyt
Pole Position

go with the 20's(35 series tire) the ride difference isn't that much different than the 19's. If you had a 30 series tire than you would really notice the ride quality difference.

Quick Reply: 20's vs 19's on a GS4 (I need help please)