Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Are OEM Lexus chrome wheels chromed/finished on the INSIDE as well?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-05, 12:31 AM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Are OEM Lexus chrome wheels chromed/finished on the INSIDE as well?

Just got a set of chromed OEM Lexus wheels and I would like to clean up and protect the inside surface, some of which is visible when viewing the mounted wheel. So I scrubbed them up real good (the insides, that is) with Scotch-brite and Comet. You can see the results below. Now I want to know how to best finish that raw alloy surface, so that future layers of brake dust are more easily cleaned off. I asked that question in www.autopia.org, a car-detailing forum. You can see the details of the discussion here:

http://autopia.org/forums/showthread...380#post518380

As you can see, a moderator has mentioned that "most chrome wheels are chrome on the inside too". Well, that's sure not my experience (see my reply to him?). But I thought I'd pose that question to you rim fans- aside from custom car-show chrome jobs, have you ever seen the inside of OEM wheels chromed?

And of course, if anyone has some suggestions on what I should use on the inside surface please let me know.

Last edited by PERRYinLA; 03-27-05 at 12:38 AM.
Old 03-27-05, 12:41 AM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PERRYinLA
Just got a set of chromed OEM Lexus wheels and I would like to clean up and protect the inside surface, some of which is visible when viewing the mounted wheel. So I scrubbed them up real good (the insides, that is) with Scotch-brite and Comet. You can see the results below. Now I want to know how to best finish that raw alloy surface, so that future layers of brake dust are more easily cleaned off. I asked that question in www.autopia.org, a car-detailing forum. You can see the details of the discussion here:

http://autopia.org/forums/showthread...380#post518380

As you can see, a moderator has mentioned that "most chrome wheels are chrome on the inside too". Well, that's sure not my experience (see my reply to him?). But I thought I'd pose that question to you rim fans- aside from custom car-show chrome jobs, have you ever seen the inside of OEM wheels chromed?

And of course, if anyone has some suggestions on what I should use on the inside surface please let me know.

hey perry,
we're up late in CA today aren't we? But i remember my OEM chromes were NOT chromed on the inside. it was only the outside.
Old 03-27-05, 10:57 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

don't think so....
Old 03-27-05, 12:46 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

My 17" stock chromes are not chromed on the inside.
Off the wall suggestion: If you were inclined to paint the inside of the rims, I'd use caliper paint, which will stick to aluminum and will hold up much better than a lot of alternatives. You might be able to get away without priming or clearcoating too.
Old 03-31-05, 01:45 AM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Not off the wall at all!

That's not a bad suggestion, since brake caliper paint goes on thick and covers up the rough casting marks of a caliper, and the insides of my wheel were similarly rough. But I ended up following the crowd and used the Dupli-Color line of Adhesion Promoter, Silver Wheel Paint and Wheel Clear coat. You can see the details of what I did at this thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=156368

If it does not last long, and some have warned it won't, I may go the caliper paint route the next time around, or just let it go au naturel, like 99% of the cars on the road. But for now it looks fine:

Last edited by PERRYinLA; 03-31-05 at 02:13 AM.