Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Better Wheel Lock?

Old 03-20-05, 08:05 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Question Better Wheel Lock?

Is there a better (MORE SECURE) wheel lock than McGard?? Maybe Gorilla?
A guy at NTB today says he can put a regular socket over a McGard and spin it right off. Makes me pretty uncomfortable. Would like to find a better type.
Old 03-20-05, 10:45 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

the mc guard locks have free spinning outside shell, wonder what your friend was talking about

but anyway, there is nothing as really safe. if they wanna take it, they will.
Old 03-21-05, 06:51 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rominl
the mc guard locks have free spinning outside shell, wonder what your friend was talking about

but anyway, there is nothing as really safe. if they wanna take it, they will.
I think he is talking about the stock Lexus or Acura ones, or similar. The one that is smooth on the outside and has that star pattern on the inside. I can assure you these can be removed easily without the lug key. When I lost my lug key, I simply took a socket that just couldn't fit over the smooth lock lug, then tapped it on tight with a hammer, then loosened it with my breaker bar in 2 seconds. After that you just unscrew it the rest of the way by hand. Tap off the socket and move on to the nect lock. Now, the new ones that have that spinning outer shell or whatever it is are a different story.
Old 03-21-05, 09:32 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Gorilla makes them spinning shell locks....I have not seen the ones from Mcguard....same concept tho. The spinning shell prevents thieves hammering a socket to remove a lug lock.

But like Rominl says....if the really want your wheels, they will take it....if not damage it in the process.

Pete
Old 03-21-05, 05:35 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

I'm more worried about making it a bit too easy for some hacker to take the wheels. If a professional is coming for you, I realize that they're getting your wheels, car, etc.
Thanks, I may convert over to the Gorilla ones if they spin on the outside.
Old 03-21-05, 08:40 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by engin_ear
I'm more worried about making it a bit too easy for some hacker to take the wheels. If a professional is coming for you, I realize that they're getting your wheels, car, etc.
Thanks, I may convert over to the Gorilla ones if they spin on the outside.
like i mentioned in the other thread the mcguard ones have spinning outside. that's what i have on my hre right now. unless todd is selling two different kinds, it should be the same one i have here
Old 03-21-05, 09:11 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Henry, do you have the mcgard wheel locks also? Have you noticed any problems with wear in the area where the lug nuts meet the wheel? I am going to get these for my new wheels and want to know if I really should get the locks or not?
Old 03-21-05, 09:34 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by GS300Rich
Henry, do you have the mcgard wheel locks also? Have you noticed any problems with wear in the area where the lug nuts meet the wheel? I am going to get these for my new wheels and want to know if I really should get the locks or not?
yeah i have the mcguards that todd is selling. heck i got mine from him!

i don't notice any wear or rust or anything around the lug nuts and the locks though. very durable and shiny even though i have take them off couple of times
Old 03-22-05, 02:09 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just make sure you get the correct seat shape for your rims. There are 3 different types I believe. One is a conical shape, one a ball seat shape, and one an acorn shape. Using lugs of different seat types on the wrong rims can lead to problems.
Old 03-22-05, 12:18 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

I've got the cone shape and two of the lugs at the edge the cone the chrome has peeled. They have been on the car for about 3K miles and I noticed this when doing the first rotation. You don't see it because it is buried in the lug hole but it still is a failing finish. YMMV
Old 03-22-05, 01:56 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Just make sure you get the correct seat shape for your rims. There are 3 different types I believe. One is a conical shape, one a ball seat shape, and one an acorn shape. Using lugs of different seat types on the wrong rims can lead to problems.
Anyone know what shape to use on Iforged wheels?
Old 03-22-05, 03:12 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Anyone know what shape to use on Iforged wheels?
Yeah, I believe acorn is the same as conical (the acorn lug nut has a conical bottom). For the iForged wheels, I used the "Acorn" 12mm x 1.50 for the GS (all Lexuses are prob the same).

Last edited by engin_ear; 03-24-05 at 01:18 PM.
Old 03-22-05, 03:14 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Originally Posted by RA40
I've got the cone shape and two of the lugs at the edge the cone the chrome has peeled. They have been on the car for about 3K miles and I noticed this when doing the first rotation. You don't see it because it is buried in the lug hole but it still is a failing finish. YMMV
Both McGard and Gorilla warranty their chrome finish. You probably do not have these if your finish is coming off that quickly. You may want to get the better lug nuts.
Old 03-22-05, 05:53 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by engin_ear
Yeah, I believe acorn is the same as conical (the acorn lug not has a conical bottom). For the iForged wheels, I used the "Acorn" 12mm x 1.50 for the GS (all Lexuses are prob the same).
Have you had any problems with the acorn lugs? I just want to make sure before I purchase these.
Old 03-22-05, 08:02 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Have you had any problems with the acorn lugs? I just want to make sure before I purchase these.
No probs yet, but I only have the iForged rims mounted for a few days so far. Get the Gorilla or McGard acorn lug nuts, with the acorn Gorilla Guard locks, and you won't have any problem. The McGard acorn lugs are available at PepBoys. Gorilla is harder to find, I just ordered mine from www.brandsport.com.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Better Wheel Lock?