Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Good Tire Confirmation

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-05, 09:05 PM
0l33l
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good Tire Confirmation

Hi. I'm a n00b when it comes to things about tires. The only thing I know is that I need 4 new ones. Right now, my car is rolling on 4 different tire brands and has the spare tire on it. While it was raining here, I managed to get the rear end out around 4 times in the past 4 months So I've been looking and I think I'm going to go with the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3s. I just want to get a confirmation that these will fit on my car; here's why I'm asking: I don't think that the 92' SC300s came in Renaissance Red, and its listed when you select a 92 SC300 when trying on different wheels. So I'm a bit worried that I might get some tires that will fit a 92 SC and not a 95
Right now tirerack recommends:
" Size: 225/55WR16 Blackwall
WR Speed Rated".

Thanks,
David Burban
Old 03-03-05, 09:55 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by 0l33l
Hi. I'm a n00b when it comes to things about tires. The only thing I know is that I need 4 new ones. Right now, my car is rolling on 4 different tire brands and has the spare tire on it. While it was raining here, I managed to get the rear end out around 4 times in the past 4 months So I've been looking and I think I'm going to go with the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3s. I just want to get a confirmation that these will fit on my car; here's why I'm asking: I don't think that the 92' SC300s came in Renaissance Red, and its listed when you select a 92 SC300 when trying on different wheels. So I'm a bit worried that I might get some tires that will fit a 92 SC and not a 95
Right now tirerack recommends:
" Size: 225/55WR16 Blackwall
WR Speed Rated".

Thanks,
David Burban
David, your driving on 4 different tire brands at the moment?? wow! That's very unsafe!

A couple of questions first. What are you looking for exactly in a replacement tire? IE: long mileage, excellent rain performance, winter driving, comfortable ride, all season or summer rubber (all seasons last much longer & are generally a notch up in the comfort department).

How much (roughly) are you looking to spend on a new set of tires? The more details you can give in what your looking for & how you will be using your tires, the better we can help narrow down some of the best choices for you. One thing to remember........there is no such thing as the perfect tire as it has not been invented yet.......you will always have to sacrifice one thing to get another when it comes to tires.
Old 03-03-05, 11:21 PM
0l33l
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lexusfreak
David, your driving on 4 different tire brands at the moment?? wow! That's very unsafe!

A couple of questions first. What are you looking for exactly in a replacement tire? IE: long mileage, excellent rain performance, winter driving, comfortable ride, all season or summer rubber (all seasons last much longer & are generally a notch up in the comfort department).

How much (roughly) are you looking to spend on a new set of tires? The more details you can give in what your looking for & how you will be using your tires, the better we can help narrow down some of the best choices for you. One thing to remember........there is no such thing as the perfect tire as it has not been invented yet.......you will always have to sacrifice one thing to get another when it comes to tires.
Yeh, 4 different worn out tire brands are an unsafe combo. When I went on the freeway one time and it was drizzleing slightly, I felt I had to slow down a lot to take a small turn because for some reason I felt the driver's side rear tire slipping. Maybe it was just in my head (i have the spare on the passenger side rear).

Ok, so what I'm looking for:
Under $125 each
Summer tire
It doesn't snow in LA no no need for snow
Some wet traction (it doesn't rain much here, just this year for some reason)
Tread life, don't want something that wil be gone in 15000 miles due to my driving style

So I think the goodyear fits the profile nicely, and it looks great too
I'm still open to suggestions though
Old 03-04-05, 02:11 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

Originally Posted by 0l33l
Yeh, 4 different worn out tire brands are an unsafe combo. When I went on the freeway one time and it was drizzleing slightly, I felt I had to slow down a lot to take a small turn because for some reason I felt the driver's side rear tire slipping. Maybe it was just in my head (i have the spare on the passenger side rear).

Ok, so what I'm looking for:
Under $125 each
Summer tire
It doesn't snow in LA no no need for snow
Some wet traction (it doesn't rain much here, just this year for some reason)
Tread life, don't want something that wil be gone in 15000 miles due to my driving style

So I think the goodyear fits the profile nicely, and it looks great too
I'm still open to suggestions though
How many miles a year do you drive usually?

If it's a summer tire you want, well the GY's are a decent choice......but perhaps consider:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

I have heard really good things about the Avon tire that is now available.....it's a very well known tire in europe & has been used on some of the most georgous sports & GT cars we know today like Aston Martin, Bentley, Morgan & Jaguar to name a few. Let us know what you decide & good luck!
Old 03-04-05, 02:54 AM
0l33l
Lexus Test Driver

How many miles a year do you drive usually?

If it's a summer tire you want, well the GY's are a decent choice......but perhaps consider:

I have heard really good things about the Avon tire that is now available.....it's a very well known tire in europe & has been used on some of the most georgous sports & GT cars we know today like Aston Martin, Bentley, Morgan & Jaguar to name a few. Let us know what you decide & good luck!
Hmmm... I don't know how much I usually drive. Probably less than 10,000 miles a year. Just a guess. Could probably be +-3000 miles. This is my first year with my car.

I've never actually heard about the Avon tires. I'll have to do some reaseach about them.

Treadwear sucks on the other two from what I hear
Old 03-05-05, 05:57 PM
0l33l
Lexus Test Driver

Bump about tire size for a 95' SC300
Old 03-06-05, 03:59 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

Most summer rubber will have a lower treadwear life then a high performance all season tire. Personally I would suggest getting AS myself & get the longer mileage. You will be sacrificing some overall handling performance but in turn get better overall value & a quieter riding tire. Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-08-05, 09:29 PM
0l33l
Lexus Test Driver

I checked the sizes on my tires and ordered the same side from tirerack. I should have my F1 GS-D3s in a few days. I just wanted something that I know will be good, coming from a brand name. Got them shipped for $515. My mechanic wanted $200 for each tire Maybe $200 for the highest speed rating, but still outrageous
Old 03-08-05, 10:14 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

You should be happy with them......good luck!
Old 03-09-05, 12:24 AM
0l33l
Lexus Test Driver

You should be happy with them......good luck!
I should be very happy with them

I'll post my driving impressions when I get them put on.
Old 03-26-05, 11:20 PM
0l33l
Lexus Test Driver

Updates:
Got the tires mounted on Friday. Just Tires wanted $40 for installing them, $72 for Balancing them, and $99 for alignment.
Went to the guy next to my mechanic and he did everything for $125.

Driving impressions:
No more tire spin
Faster takeoffs
Car feels much better when taking corners and turns
Old 03-27-05, 07:25 PM
jag_600
Driver

Good tire choice, I love mine especially in the rain.