Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

22" RIMS ON GS400

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-05, 09:37 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by blueGS400
dam, do we need to have this conversation every month, as stated many times before 22's just look ghetto on a gs and it just isnt right, go with staggered 20's and u cant go wrong
well it's a valid question so that' fine, but personally i think it's better if we all do a search on this topic, coz' we do see this very often
Old 02-08-05, 03:33 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
well it's a valid question so that' fine, but personally i think it's better if we all do a search on this topic, coz' we do see this very often
Maybe a sticky for a while? (with a compilation of all the threads)
Old 02-08-05, 11:13 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
The problem with 22s is twofold:

1) Making them fit (trim the front suspension 'upright' bolt, fender mods)

2) Most people don't stagger the wheel widths or lower the car.
The "off the shelf" 22x8.5 +40 looks pretty weak, especially on the rear of these cars
The larger diameter of the wheel/tire package actually raises the car further off the ground-
you need a set of Eibachs just to get the car back down to stock ride height.

The 22s also raise the car's center of gravity and the traditional cast aluminum 'bling' wheels are INCREDIBLY heavy.
This makes the car handle poorly, but at least you can make your 22"-equipped GS400 a fair race for a stock-wheeled GS 300 due to the change of gearing caused by the tall 22" tires..

Also, most people overlook the need for upgraded brakes to stop the inertia created by the monsterous and heavy wheels. GM has had issues with people putting big wheels on their SUVs- in many cases, installing larger wheels will void the factory warranty- the original equipment brakes are simply not up to the task of effectively stopping the vehicle

I think the best solution is 21" wheels for these cars- as soon as more 21" tires are available, we will see manufacturers of high-end wheels move more into this segment. 21s will be the new 20s, just as 20s are currently the new 19s. When the tires are more available, I will consider this for my GS:

Front 21x9.5 255/30-21
Rear 21x11 295/25-21

This will be effectively the same diameter as current 20" packages.
With a set-up like this, you can "park it like it''s hot!"
Old 02-08-05, 11:45 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
The problem with 22s is twofold:

1) Making them fit (trim the front suspension 'upright' bolt, fender mods)

2) Most people don't stagger the wheel widths or lower the car.
The "off the shelf" 22x8.5 +40 looks pretty weak, especially on the rear of these cars
The larger diameter of the wheel/tire package actually raises the car further off the ground-
you need a set of Eibachs just to get the car back down to stock ride height.

The 22s also raise the car's center of gravity and the traditional cast aluminum 'bling' wheels are INCREDIBLY heavy.
This makes the car handle poorly, but at least you can make your 22"-equipped GS400 a fair race for a stock-wheeled GS 300 due to the change of gearing caused by the tall 22" tires..

Also, most people overlook the need for upgraded brakes to stop the inertia created by the monsterous and heavy wheels. GM has had issues with people putting big wheels on their SUVs- in many cases, installing larger wheels will void the factory warranty- the original equipment brakes are simply not up to the task of effectively stopping the vehicle

I think the best solution is 21" wheels for these cars- as soon as more 21" tires are available, we will see manufacturers of high-end wheels move more into this segment. 21s will be the new 20s, just as 20s are currently the new 19s. When the tires are more available, I will consider this for my GS:

Front 21x9.5 255/30-21
Rear 21x11 295/25-21

Add the fact the 22s will probably be some Wal-Mart brand of rims but ohhhh, your so cool?
Your not. It looks ridiculous. It looks like a sprinter (like Michael Johnson) trying to run the %^(()*)_*(& 200 meter dash in size 25 shoes. Or Kobe Bryant playing basketball in size 32 shoes. It looks ridiculous and has no function.

You will destroy your suspension. The car comes with 17s plus 3=20". And that adds tons of stress to the wheels unless u got something lightweight. Now the 2006 GS will probably fit 21s with no issues, since it comes with 18s (+3).

Do a search under MANARAY and see what he thinks of your question.
Old 02-08-05, 12:17 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Front 21x9.5 255/30-21
Rear 21x11 295/25-21

Bob, do you really think 21s would look better on the GS than 20"? For some reason the short overall length of the 2nd Gen seems to really be a perfect frame for 20" (especially lowered + staggered).

There are a few MB vehicles (w220 and w215) that I would love to see on a set of "proper spec" 21's. Those tires sizes that you quoted are actually availible from Continental currently. I'm waiting for someone to do a 245/30-21

Check out this CL, it almost has the exact specs you posted.

21” x 9.0” front with Continental 255/30-21 and 21” x 10.0” rear with Continental 295/25-21.

Old 02-08-05, 02:31 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i agree with derrick. yes 21 with rubber band, diameter wise, will be the same as the 20s normal. but look wise i think it's going to look funny, even if you lower the car enough, mainly coz' of the shorter wheels base of the car. i would still tend to think that the 20s are the best fit on the car myself
Old 02-08-05, 03:52 PM
johnnyt
Pole Position

Go with the 22's. Yea it will look ghetto, but thats the point. 22' s are now used with a 25 series tire which is like a rubber band and it looks clean. Not everyone wants to be the same and have the classy and or race look that all the gs on here have(this site def has the best looking lexus cars anywhere). I would put 22's on a gs instead of 20's and lowering though.
Old 02-08-05, 04:55 PM
GsUnit
Rookie

Well I have decided to go with some Niche F-16's I am goin to get them custom so they will fit my lexus. I will sell my 20" ADR Magnus if interested pm me. I will post pictures of my car when its all done and it has 22"s on it. and thanx to all of you who supported me, all the other negative ones no thanx to you.
Old 02-08-05, 04:55 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by GsUnit
Well I have decided to go with some Niche F-16's I am goin to get them custom so they will fit my lexus. I will sell my 20" ADR Magnus if interested pm me. I will post pictures of my car when its all done and it has 22"s on it. and thanx to all of you who supported me, all the other negative ones no thanx to you.
This is what your 1st post said

Hi, I want to put some 22"s on my gs400 but i been told that it can mess up my transmisson.
but i still want to do it, anyone have 22"s on their gs? please post pics.
Clearly, you did not research, b/c you ask for pics and you didn't check to see if your tranny failing might be a cause of large rims. So don't expect to a group hug here. Then when you post pics of your car with 22s, don't expect people to be amazed with jaws dropped in awe.

Honestly, IMO, if you want to really make your car look like that, buy an Impala or old Caprice and make that look like a SUV/boat thing, not a Lexus.

Last edited by LexFather; 02-08-05 at 10:43 PM.
Old 02-08-05, 11:26 PM
BUSTN
Instructor

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
This is what your 1st post said

Clearly, you did not research, b/c you ask for pics and you didn't check to see if your tranny failing might be a cause of large rims. So don't expect to a group hug here. Then when you post pics of your car with 22s, don't expect people to be amazed with jaws dropped in awe.

Honestly, IMO, if you want to really make your car look like that, buy an Impala or old Caprice and make that look like a SUV/boat thing, not a Lexus.
I had 22's on my last car and i don't think they flow well with the Lexus, just my opinion.
Sorry, but not all Impalas look like boats on 22's!My boys SS

Heres my old sig pic...
Old 02-09-05, 04:03 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by BUSTN
Sorry, but not all Impalas look like boats on 22's!My boys SS
Yet another one of those "don't tell anyone, but I kinda like those" cars! LOL
I think 1SICK was talking more about the guys that get the early 80's Caprices and put the lift kits and 26"wheels, etc. You are correct, when lowered, the 96+ SS does look pretty clean with 22s.
Old 02-09-05, 01:28 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow, Niche still makes wheels? I know they're part of the MHT family, but I thought the name brand "Niche" died a couple years ago. Perhaps we just don't see them on the west coast- I NEVER see Niche wheels here, except on an old '88 Sentra or ragged-out pickup truck.

I am interested to see your new/retro Niche wheels on the car.
Old 02-09-05, 01:45 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Wow, Niche still makes wheels? I know they're part of the MHT family, but I thought the name brand "Niche" died a couple years ago. Perhaps we just don't see them on the west coast- I NEVER see Niche wheels here.
Yeah, Niche is still made (along with the other thowback "Neeper", lol) they are both part of the MHT family ( I believe Foose, Dub, etc etc)

Those F16s are from a couple years back I believe.
Old 02-09-05, 05:38 PM
GsUnit
Rookie

Well 1sicklex you might not like how 22"s look on a lexus but that is only you, not evryone has the same taste as you. and it dosent matter if i do put them on a "lexus" because its my car, my money, and my taste. nice car bustn.
Old 02-09-05, 07:29 PM
LexFather

Well 1sicklex you might not like how 22"s look on a lexus but that is only you, not evryone has the same taste as you. and it dosent matter if i do put them on a "lexus" because its my car, my money, and my taste. nice car bustn.
Your absolutely correct. Just trying to get you away from the big wheel "dark side".

And yeah, D is right, I love that model Impala. Incredible car. I meant more like this crap o wheels.....

Quick Reply: 22" RIMS ON GS400