Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

I was SLIPPIN' ALL ova the road! what tires???

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-05, 07:16 PM
Alexus-Kia
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I was SLIPPIN' ALL ova the road! what tires???

hey,

I was SLIPPIN' ALL ova the road 2day with my stock tire OMG i got about a block away from my house and turned back around to park my car BACK in the garage !! What tires should i get for my car for the times when i REALLY have to leave my house???

PLEASE dont say do a search cuz i did it and came up with so-so stuff.... and im not trying to pay like $600 for SNOW tires.....something for a Good Price, (Cuz anythings gotta be better for my car then my tires that have probably been on since '98)

Any help will be great! Thanks
Old 01-24-05, 07:32 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

from what ive read since i have joined

the GS sucks in the snow

IMO any rear wheel drive car sucks in the snow on stock tires

i dont think it would be any better on your other rims

do you have another car ??
Old 01-24-05, 07:45 PM
Celsior Master
Lexus Test Driver

throw some chains on there
Old 01-24-05, 08:41 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Alexus-Kia
hey,

I was SLIPPIN' ALL ova the road 2day with my stock tire OMG i got about a block away from my house and turned back around to park my car BACK in the garage !! What tires should i get for my car for the times when i REALLY have to leave my house???

PLEASE dont say do a search cuz i did it and came up with so-so stuff.... and im not trying to pay like $600 for SNOW tires.....something for a Good Price, (Cuz anythings gotta be better for my car then my tires that have probably been on since '98)

you poor thing sorry to hear that cause we aint got any snow if fl so i cant help you out with this one !!
Old 01-24-05, 09:25 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by CarlssonLS400
throw some chains on there
yeah, chain will be your only solution if you really desire to drive the car in snow with those tires

and make sure the car is in snow mode
Old 01-24-05, 09:28 PM
LasVegasGS
Lead Lap

Add the spinners to your snow wheels

LoL j/k I've read somewhere on here a few months about about a guy haveing a way better drive in the snow with diffrent tires i'll try to find it.
Old 01-24-05, 09:29 PM
Alexus-Kia
Lexus Test Driver

BUT....Cant i get some Good snow tires...i mean as soon as i moved i looked like a flapping back and forth!

Wont the snow tires help?????

OMG spinners and the snow........ ur really trying to get me....lol

Last edited by Alexus-Kia; 01-24-05 at 09:32 PM.
Old 01-25-05, 05:40 AM
dickyg
Rookie

The best non studded snow tires in my opinion are Nokian Hakkapeliitta snow tires. I drove my gs4 last year in the snow with these tires and it handled better then my 02 wrangler. The tire stays soft until -30 degrees F. Remember your tire is your contact with the road. They are pricey, but mine came with my car. Check the paper or the selling forum for a set. Ebay is also half way decent. I have also heard good things about the bizzaks. Shop around for the best prices. Some online shops have steel wheel packages for under $700 new. Many shops near you will match online prices after shipping.

good luck
Old 01-25-05, 05:44 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Wink

hey,

what is the exact tire size you need Alexus? & are you looking for an all season high performance tire OR winter rubber?
Old 01-25-05, 07:41 AM
Tranman

I'm currently running Bridgestone Blizzak LM's on my GS. And they get me through the snow just fine. I haven't gotten stuck for the past two winters using this tires in the long, snowy Northeast Ohio winters.
Old 01-25-05, 07:57 AM
Lexs400
Lexus Test Driver

I purchased the blizzak's for my LS yesterday and the difference is day and night between stock tires and snow tires in snow.
i really feel they should become mandatory during winter season just like Europe.
Old 01-25-05, 08:22 AM
Alexus-Kia
Lexus Test Driver

i think my stocks are 15" ....and i want just a snow tire because i have reims with low pro's for the nice seasons.. But if WINTER tires cost too much then i will just get a all season! i guess!!
Old 01-25-05, 08:31 AM
lostinthew
Driver

go to www.tirerack.com and read the reviews. I have four Dunlop Wintersport M2's on my GS300 and I do just fine here in Chicago. We got about 7 inches last week in 24 hours and they performed well.
Old 01-25-05, 09:32 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i think my stocks are 15" ....and i want just a snow tire because i have reims with low pro's for the nice seasons.. But if WINTER tires cost too much then i will just get a all season! i guess!!
Unless you put on different rims on purpose, your stock ones should be at least 16s. Since you already have a summer setup, why not get snow tires for the winter to maximize driving in the winter season (meaning snow)? All-seasons are nice but if you are only using the 16s in the winter, why worry about the other seasons when you are planning on putting on your 20s for those times?
Old 01-25-05, 10:28 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey after all it's only money. I live in the windy city of Chicago and found that out to this car really stink's in the snow. But I found out that by putting the car in snow mode does help and also turning of the VSC made a difference for me, that way you are in complete control of the car.

Quick Reply: I was SLIPPIN' ALL ova the road! what tires???