Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Tire Review: Michelin PilotSport PS2

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-04, 04:46 AM
ChuH
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Thumbs up Tire Review: Michelin PilotSport PS2

All I can say is WOW!!! These tires are great and worth the money (not much more that the SO3). I am going to compare it to Bridgestone SO3 that the Michelin PS2 replaced.

NOISE: These tires are so quiet!!! With the absence of the tire noise I was getting from the SO3 it is almost as if I am driving a whole new car. The wind noise is noisier than the tire noise and you know how quiet the GS are already. The only way I can explain the tire noise is faint wooshing sound. It is light ages over the two sets of Bridgstones SO3 had I over the past 3.5 years. The SO3 were so noisy that as I slow to a stop the front sound as if helocopter rotor spinning down. My last set I still had over 50% tread left. The sound were so unbearable and so embarassing I had passengers commented as to what is wrong with my car. I ran the SO3 at 40 psi (front) and 38 psi (rear). I had to increase the psi for the SO3 to reduce noise. When I run the SO3 at low pressure 32 to 35 psi the tire would howl at all speeds. When I increase the pressure the noise reduced. When the PS2 was first installed I ran it at 40 psi for a day. The following day I went to a different tire installer that offer Nitrogen gas for $10 for all four wheels. He recommend that I run my tire at 35 psi with the nitrogen gas. No difference in noise between when I ran it at 40 psi or 35 psi.

RIDE/COMFORT: These tires rides so smoooooth!!! I believe because the side wall of the PS2 thinner than the SO3 may have contribute to the softer ride. The SO3 have a stiffer and straighter side wall (the edge of the tread has a square profile with respect to the side wall). The PS2 has a softer and more rounded side wall (the edge of the tread had a rounded profile with respect to the side wall - side wall curve inward toward the tread). When I first went from 17" OEM to a 18" SO3 with L-Tuned suspension the ride suffer with firm rides. The PS2 brought back smooth almost stock ride. Don't get me wrong it is not floaty but more control rebound. No more jarring rides!!! Or need to cringe when driving over man hole covers or ruts.

CONSTRUCTION: The weight of these tires are so much lighter than the SO3. This maybe because of the softer rubber compound and thinner side walls. When I had the wheel balanced three of the tires need only 0.50 gram of weights!!! The third tire needed 0.75 gram of weight. The tire installer said the construction of these Michelins are so good that minimum balance was needed and only at one area on the rim requires weights. On my past SO3 install by the same tire installer I average with 1.75 to 2 gram of weights per wheels and the weights are placed at different offset area of the wheel (inside edge and middle).

HANDLING: Haven't taken these tires through some aggressive driving yet. But so far because of the smoothness and quietness of these tires I see myself driving so conservatively (like an old lady). One thing I notice right away is steering is sooo much lighter and smoother during turns. As you know the wheel of the GS will lean toward the direction you are turn toward. This can be better explain if you are park and turn the steering wheel all the way to one direction. Exit and look at the wheel and you will see that the top of the wheel will lean (camber) toward the direction you turn to. With the SO3's stiff sidewall I will get some resistance while turning. The outside tread of the tire would sometimes lift from the road surface while the inner thread and side wall would compress between the wheel and the road surface. My guess is with the softer sidewall of the PS2 more tread is in contact with the road. The stiffer side wall of the SO3 would have a small patch of tread in contact with the road surface. If the road is irregular I would get strong road feedback steering from the wheels (tramlining?). With the SO3 if I am not careful and run over those ceramic road markers (you know those round thing that divide the lanes) the steering would jerk abruptly. The PS2 does not have any of these problems. The PS2 steering response is so neutral or muted in feel. The SO3 is much more crisper and a lot of road feedback (can be good or bad depending what you are looking for).

WHAT I DON'T LIKE ABOUT THE PS2: The tread does not have an aggressive look. The imprinted graphics/logo/tire informaton on the side wall do not look great for a max performance tire at this price range. It looks more at home as a econo tire. GET RID OF THAT MICHELIN MAN!!! Don't like the round sidewall look. The sidewall profile looks taller than the SO3.

Overall I highly recommend these tires for those who want MAX Performance, smooth comfort ride and QUIET TIRES!!!

Don't know how long these soft tires would last. Treadwear is 220 like the SO3. Will have to see if the noise would increase as the tire ages.

Chu...

Last edited by ChuH; 12-21-04 at 03:38 PM.
Old 12-21-04, 03:15 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice review. I expect that my next set of tires will be the PS2. On the tire noise, I agree that the S03 are very, very loud. When I put on the replacement GY GSD3 the difference was night and day - but the GY are also starting to get noisy. I hope the PS2 stay quiet as they wear.
Old 12-21-04, 03:37 PM
ChuH
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by redgs4
Nice review. I expect that my next set of tires will be the PS2. On the tire noise, I agree that the S03 are very, very loud. When I put on the replacement GY GSD3 the difference was night and day - but the GY are also starting to get noisy. I hope the PS2 stay quiet as they wear.
I will remember to give update on these tires once I have some more miles on it. Right now I have only 200 miles. I really like these tires. I was a bit hesitant at first to get the Michelin tires. Everyone I spoke to said it is bad for Guam road. Some say the rubbers use on Michelins are too hard. Some say the rubbers don't last long. None had experience with the new PS2.

Chu...
Old 01-03-05, 04:26 PM
Celsior Master
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just got those too and so far so good. only problem i have is that the tires are only supposed to be put on one way with one side marked as outside. so... can't even un mount the tires and swap sides to even the wear. so im thinking i might go for the goodyears. next
Old 01-12-05, 11:45 PM
DetMich1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ChuH
I will remember to give update on these tires once I have some more miles on it. Right now I have only 200 miles. I really like these tires. I was a bit hesitant at first to get the Michelin tires. Everyone I spoke to said it is bad for Guam road. Some say the rubbers use on Michelins are too hard. Some say the rubbers don't last long. None had experience with the new PS2.

Chu...
I just bought the same set of tires too. I have 245/40-18 PS2's all around mounted on SST GT3 rims 18 X 8.5 replaced stock 16" rims. First time I have put Michelin's on any of my cars besides the LX470. I definitely like these tires so far. Smooth and quiet ride with excellent grip. I have L-tuned suspension set-up and will add the Daizen sway bar bushings tomorrow. Expecting a bit more resistance to body roll with the Daizens, though lowering and L-tuned shocks already provided a vast improvement in that category.
Old 06-02-05, 09:34 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 209 Likes on 115 Posts

How much mileage do you have on your tires now ChuH? How is the noise compared to the S0-3's now that you have some mileage on them?
Old 06-02-05, 03:03 PM
ChuH
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Hameed
How much mileage do you have on your tires now ChuH? How is the noise compared to the S0-3's now that you have some mileage on them?
I have put about 6500 miles on the PS2. Noise level has increased slightly but still substantially lower than the SO-3. I really like the PS2 and highly recommend them. I have a slight (very slight) vibration problem at 50 to 60 mph but I think this is related to the problem with all 2nd Gen GS. With the SO-3 this vibration was considerable more (I believe it is because of the thicker side wall of the SO-3). On certain road surface (ie: concrete or rough pavements) the noise is higher but again it is still substantially lower than the SO-3. The SO-3 were driving me nuts!!! The ride quality is still very smooth (running at 35 psi). I had to run at 40psi with the SO-3 just to keep the noise down. Wet and dry grip level is on par with SO-3 therefore I did not loose that performance level.

Chu...
Old 06-03-05, 02:28 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ChuH pretty much has it right.

I'm running 40psi and the only complaint is running over grooved pavement, they really grab and make a lot of noise. Fortunately the freeways aren't grooved everywhere. You would go crazy after a couple of minutes hearing the noise.

Those who live locally are welcome to take a ride in my car to feel how amazingly smooth and quiet these tires are. With 20" rims and the THIN SET UP low profile I'm using, a lot would say the ride would be harsh and noisy. NO WAY !!

As far as looks of the sidewall design, tread pattern and side wall round off, well you can judge for yourself.

295/25-20 on a 20 x 11 rim.

Old 06-03-05, 08:59 PM
DetMich1
Lexus Test Driver

I'm with Glen and the others on these tires. I am running the 18" on 8 1/2" rims, 245/40-18 I guess some would call that a "fat" setup. I also run 40 PSI. Handling and ride couldn't be better. Noise level is very good so far. I guess I have about 7500 miles and on lowered suspension I have no uneven tread wear. Looks like I will get 25,000 miles , maybe more. On my SC400 I have run Bridgestone, Firestone, Dunlop, Goodyear,& Goodrich but never Michelin. Granted this is a different car but I like these Michelin more than any other tire I have tried and I have tried many brands.