Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Tires for SC400

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-04, 05:32 PM
ciscokid
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tires for SC400

Any suggestions on what tires to get for my 95 SC400? I have the stock rims so keep that in mind. Thanks.

-CK
Old 12-17-04, 04:32 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

cis, what is the exact tire size you need? & do you want all season performance, summer & what price range are you looking to spend?
Old 12-17-04, 04:37 PM
ciscokid
Rookie

Originally posted by Lexusfreak
cis, what is the exact tire size you need? & do you want all season performance, summer & what price range are you looking to spend?
I currently have p225/55R-16 Michelin pilot xgt H4 and was thiking about the Bridgestone Potenza 009 tire. I had the xgt z4 prior to the H4s and both seem fine to me. I'm not that "tuned" to tire performance so as long as the tire is pretty good, that will be fine for me. I live in Texas so the weather for the most part is dry but we do get a bunch of rain in the Spring. I do want a good performance tire and one that is fairly quiet. Any other suggestions?

-CK

Last edited by ciscokid; 12-17-04 at 04:52 PM.
Old 12-17-04, 05:27 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

The best value for what your looking for in a high performance tire, in your size are:

- Falken Ziex ZE-512 (awesome performance tire) came in first place in a recent consumer reports test of 20 high performance all season tire & V speed rated. 60,000 Mile warranty & just fantastic in the bad weather in addition to being a great performer in the rain & snow / icy conditions & VERY quiet. My wife has them on her car & I have put these on my short list when it comes time to replace my Toyo Proxes TPT (which is also been an excellent tire, especially in the rain! Traction AA, temperature A 'directional tire' www.falkentire.com

- Toyo Proxes TPT 'V' speed rated (currently on my 01 ES). Very close to the performance as the Falken, not quite as good in the snow, but much better than your average all season. Rain performance is very good, very quite & a great overall value! 60,000 mile warranty 400 treadwear, traction A, temperature A. Directional tire . www.toyo.com

- Continental Extreme Contact. Very good reviews overall for a high performance all season (no personal experence however). Many current owners would gladly get another set.

- Michelin Pilot Sport A/S. Higher price than the others which is something to consider. Excellent performer, but a bit more of a harsh ride due to the fact it's W speed rated & an 'Ultra high performance all season'. I had them on my 01 Maxima & loved everything about them.....except the high price!

- Pirelli P-zero nero M&S. Kind of in the middle as far as price goes between the rest. Good reviews by owners & they come highly recommended.....no personal experence however.

I hope this helps &keep us posted!! Good Luck!
Old 12-20-04, 01:17 PM
Nomis
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had Toyo T1-S on my Miata and loved them. But they were way too much $$$ for the size the SC4 needed. I eventually picked up a set of the Yokahama AVS ES100 and have been very happy with them for the price - $90 ea. They balanced well - no vibrations up to 120, ride is comfy, turn in is decent, and they shed water in the torrential downpours we have in FL.
Old 12-20-04, 01:41 PM
ciscokid
Rookie

Default Tires and

Originally Posted by Lexusfreak
The best value for what your looking for in a high performance tire, in your size are:

- Falken Ziex ZE-512 (awesome performance tire) came in first place in a recent consumer reports test of 20 high performance all season tire & V speed rated. 60,000 Mile warranty & just fantastic in the bad weather in addition to being a great performer in the rain & snow / icy conditions & VERY quiet. My wife has them on her car & I have put these on my short list when it comes time to replace my Toyo Proxes TPT (which is also been an excellent tire, especially in the rain! Traction AA, temperature A 'directional tire' www.falkentire.com

I hope this helps &keep us posted!! Good Luck!
Thanks for the information on the Falken tires. I did some checking and this seems to be a pretty good choice. But, this got me thinking......Should I use this as an opportunity to upgrade my rims?? And if so, should I do 17s or 18s and will I have to do any special modifications to accomidate the larger rims? Thanks.

-CK
Old 04-23-05, 11:13 AM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

In case you have not bought yet - if you choose to stay with your stock 16" rims, you can still "upgrade" by going with 245/50-16 tires instead of the stock 225/55-16 size. The diameter is the same, but you will get a slightly wider footprint.

Last edited by PERRYinLA; 04-23-05 at 11:23 AM.