Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Rotora Big Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-04, 04:50 PM
CLNSC3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rotora Big Brakes

Is anybody running the Rotora 4 piston caliper front big brakes? I would like to get some reviews on them, cause I have been considering purchasing some

So? Let me know.... OR

Thanks!

-Josh
Old 12-10-04, 06:27 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Brake question, brake forum.

Moved
Old 12-11-04, 10:28 AM
mteele
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

See if anyone over on supraforums has done the upgrade.
Old 12-12-04, 10:02 PM
lexcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

I was researching this a while ago, I think that the supra TT big brake upgrade is better for the money. The only reason that i would think of going rotora is because of the looks. The supra TT upgrade is 4 piston calipers too, and i think they will stop just as good. Personally I have never been in a car with the rotoras but i think that the supra TT's are good.

Kevin

Think about this, there are guys here with 900rwhp monsters that are just using the supra TT brakes. Why spend 500$ more for the rotora's?

just my .02$ do whatever floats your boat, i was just giving you something to think about.
Old 12-12-04, 11:37 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by lexcoupe
Why spend 500$ more for the rotora's?
I will not get into stopping power since essentially, I agree. No one has done true road tests on all the different BBKs on the appropriate cars (SC, GS, ...) so talking about stopping distance and such will be just theoretical. BUT, there are some other reasons where the Rotora would be worth the extra cash.

1. Looks (subjective) - Some may prefer the looks of the Rotora calipers

2. Weight - The Rotora calipers are lighter than the TTs. The Rotora rotors, in particular, the 2-pc ones are lighter than most 1-pc rotors that are used with the TTs. I realize it may be possible to get 2-pc rotors in sizes that are compatible with the TTs but I have not seen anyone post about it yet. I know lexforlife was looking into it at one point but I don't know if he ever bought any.

The weight loss is VERY noticeable. Even though the StopTech caliper and rotors were larger than OEM, they were lighter. When I put on my StopTech 355s, I noticed how nimble the car became sinse it lost the wieight at the wheels. I assume the Rotoras would have similar results.

3. Clearance - Rotora calipers require less clearance than the TTs. For some, this allows them to have BBKs because just the difference in size of the Rotoras and TTs will help some wheels.
Old 12-13-04, 12:14 AM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

There is a GS member that got blue 4 pot setup Rotoras on the GS forums. You can check it out at the GS forums.

Kinda off-topic:

I found one thing negative about having a aftermarket 6 or 8 pot setup. There is no sizeable spare that you can use if you ever get stuck on the road since they require a 18 inch spare where you can simply carry in your trunk. So can you do in a situation like this?
Old 12-13-04, 12:29 AM
Neo
The One

Originally posted by One HoT SC400
I found one thing negative about having a aftermarket 6 or 8 pot setup. There is no sizeable spare that you can use if you ever get stuck on the road since they require a 18 inch spare where you can simply carry in your trunk. So can you do in a situation like this?
The 6 or 8 pot setup in themselves do not require 18" wheels. They will require a spare with adequate BBK clearance.

You are correct in the sense that these calipers are typically paired witll 355mm rotors. The size of the rotors is what causes the 18" requirement.
Old 12-13-04, 01:37 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally posted by Neo
I will not get into stopping power since essentially, I agree. No one has done true road tests on all the different BBKs on the appropriate cars (SC, GS, ...) so talking about stopping distance and such will be just theoretical. BUT, there are some other reasons where the Rotora would be worth the extra cash.

2. Weight - The Rotora calipers are lighter than the TTs. The Rotora rotors, in particular, the 2-pc ones are lighter than most 1-pc rotors that are used with the TTs. I realize it may be possible to get 2-pc rotors in sizes that are compatible with the TTs but I have not seen anyone post about it yet. I know lexforlife was looking into it at one point but I don't know if he ever bought any.

The weight loss is VERY noticeable. Even though the StopTech caliper and rotors were larger than OEM, they were lighter. When I put on my StopTech 355s, I noticed how nimble the car became sinse it lost the wieight at the wheels. I assume the Rotoras would have similar results.

3. Clearance - Rotora calipers require less clearance than the TTs. For some, this allows them to have BBKs because just the difference in size of the Rotoras and TTs will help some wheels.
i have to concur on the weight part. if you talk about brakes, the stock ones are very good already (it's one of the best actually). change it to ss line is already good enough.

but in terms of weight, the rotora (and some other bbk) they are much lighter than the tt brakes, that makes quite a bit of difference
Old 12-13-04, 01:38 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

There is a GS member that got blue 4 pot setup Rotoras on the GS forums. You can check it out at the GS forums.

Kinda off-topic:

yup, most 6 and 8 pots they require at lesat 18s. that's the price you pay for the nice look
Old 12-13-04, 05:54 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally posted by Neo

yeah thats right chris , i has looked into it quite abit and found it was cost prohibitive to buy 2 piece rotors.. they avg between 500-700 and to my knowledge only 2 makers out there ,dba and project mu and the weight savings alone is only 11/2-2lbs per rotor lighter.. the real benefit of 2 piece rotor was better heat dis to allow the rotor to expand and contact independant of the rotor hat aiding in the prevention of warpage from excessive heat

me personally if i decide to keep the gs much longer (long story there) will be upgrading to 6pots and maybe 6/4 setup for the ultimate in stopping and weight reduction
Old 12-13-04, 06:35 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Guys also remember the practicality issue.

With the Rotora setup you are at their mercy for replacement parts. And in case anyone forgot, brakes are wear items.

What happens when you need to replace the pads? Or you score a rotor? EEEK I'd hate to see what they want for a new rotor.

I installed the LS4 BBK and with used calipers, brand new pads, and brand new rotors. Total cost for everything? $191. Yes, the complete kit, $191. Sure beats $2k and up. And if I need a new rotor, or a set of pads, I can get them anywhere and instantly for $30. Rebuilt calipers for $70.

Try that with Rotora, Brembo or Stoptech.

Just another option for you to consider before you blow thousands on something you can fix with hundreds.
Attached Thumbnails Rotora Big Brakes-1.jpg  
Old 12-13-04, 07:52 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally posted by CleanSC

With the Rotora setup you are at their mercy for replacement parts. And in case anyone forgot, brakes are wear items.

What happens when you need to replace the pads? Or you score a rotor? EEEK I'd hate to see what they want for a new rotor.

I installed the LS4 BBK and with used calipers, brand new pads, and brand new rotors. Total cost for everything? $191. Yes, the complete kit, $191. Sure beats $2k and up. And if I need a new rotor, or a set of pads, I can get them anywhere and instantly for $30. Rebuilt calipers for $70.

Just another option for you to consider before you blow thousands on something you can fix with hundreds.

excellent point .. you now got me thinking is it really and truly worth it seeing i do not autocross or do i
Old 12-13-04, 09:01 AM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by Neo
The 6 or 8 pot setup in themselves do not require 18" wheels. They will require a spare with adequate BBK clearance.

You are correct in the sense that these calipers are typically paired witll 355mm rotors. The size of the rotors is what causes the 18" requirement.
Thanks for the clarification Neo. According to Steve Ganz GB, 6 and 8 pot BBK required a 18 inch wheel minimum. So I assumed that 6 and 8 pot BBK came only 1 sized 2 piece rotors.
Old 12-13-04, 09:30 AM
lexcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by CleanSC

GOOD POINT, I was going to mention the same things, but you beat me to it. With the supra TT brakes, or the LS400 brakes, you can go to the dealership or an autoparts store for replacement pads or rotors.

Kevin
Old 12-13-04, 09:52 AM
Neo
The One

Thanks for the clarification Neo. According to Steve Ganz GB, 6 and 8 pot BBK required a 18 inch wheel minimum. So I assumed that 6 and 8 pot BBK came only 1 sized 2 piece rotors.
If you notice in the GB, all the ones that come with the 355 rotors, including the 4 pot ones, need 18s. Although not mentioned in the GB, I believethe 8-pot is paired with an even bigger rotor so you actually might need 19s.

As for the maintenance costs, I agree. The LS and TT brakes are nice. I don't think anyone disputed that. Their cost of upgrade and replacement/maintenance is also nice. These would be factors to be weighed by customers. Still, it does not take away from the benefits I listed above. Other than cost, the Rotora BBKs are are still lighter and need less clearance. The clearance is a big deal. No matter how good the pricing is on a BBK, if they don't fit, they just don't fit. (I am focusing on just the brakes here. I know there are potentials of using spacers or shaving or getting new wheels. )

Quick Reply: Rotora Big Brakes