Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

V-rated Tire Required for ES?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-04, 03:59 PM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question V-rated Tire Required for ES?

I went to my neighborhood Goodyear dealer looking to check out Eagle RS-A's for my '96 ES. After I told the guy the size I wanted (205/65-R15, a fairly common stock size), he demanded to know what I wanted to put them on. When I told him a 1996 Lexus ES 300, he claimed the "guidebook says you need at least a V-rated tire", and told me only a handful of special order Goodyear and Michelin tires would work. I told him, well, the Michelin MXV4+ that the Lexus dealer put on when I bought the car from them are only H-rated, and that the owner's manual says nothing about needing a V-rated tire.

Should an H-rated tire be sufficient?--I rarely travel above 70 MPH.
Old 12-05-04, 01:52 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

it's a liability issue for the reason you need V-rated tires. Even Costco will not install anything less than OEM spec on any car, just for that reason. You can get away with H-rated tire like the Michelin XGT H4 or Bridgestone RE950, but I would find another tire shop tho, Goodyear stores are a bit of a ripoff, IMO. Same goes for Sears.
Old 12-06-04, 07:50 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I would stay away from the Michelin & Goodyear for your application. You should be fine with an H rated tire (I put V on my 01 ES however.....but the speed rating difference isn't that much difference & I doubt you will go the tires top rated speed anyways).

I do with either the Toyo Proxes TPT's (60,000 mile treadwear life & awesone in rain & very good in snow for an all season performance tire)

OR the Falken Ziex ZE-512 (also good foe 60,000 miles & even slightly better in the snow over the toyo's)

Both choices are FAR better over Michelin OR Goodyear (unless you consider the Goodyear Tripletread), not to mention MUCH cheaper for a better tire. Good Luck!
Old 12-06-04, 05:08 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got H rated Bridgestone RE950's on my wife's 00 es. Had them on for 25,000 miles.
The 950's were a 100% improvement over the oem (V rated Bridgestone RE92's) in terms of handling and "on center" feel. When driving with the re92's, the car always felt like it wanted to pull to the right. Had dealer check alignment and car was good. ...tires not so good. (the RE92's wore out after 8,000 miles)
Old 12-06-04, 07:33 PM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the input, guys. The Goodyears with Tripletread caught my eye--though I'm guessing that if they are available in a 205/65-VR15, they won't be cheap. I don't know if anybody in the Cleveland metropolitan area sells Toyo's--I've heard very good things about the Proxes TPT's on this site. I guess I could always go through Tire Rack and search the site for a TR authorized installer near me that would accept a drop-shipment at their shop.

I also saw the MXV4+'s at BJ's Wholesale tonight for $137 each for the proper V-rated version. I love the quietness of my MVX4+ at freeway speeds, but not necessarily the constant squealing on turns (my current ones are H-rated, not sure if the V-rating would help handling at all). They're also not the best all-season tires I've driven on in snow, either. So, unless I exhaust all other options, I doubt I'll buy the Michelins.
Old 12-06-04, 07:50 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

The MXV4+'s are not the greatest in light snow or rain. The same model tire with the S8 on the end are supposedly much better but the size availability is limited.

Toyos are great from what I have heard.

I have H-rated Dunlop Sport A2s.........skip them but the H rating is just fine.

steviej
Old 12-07-04, 06:40 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

Tirerack unfortunately does carry either Toyo's or Falken's (as BOTH are fantastic choices). The question was posted a while back as to why not, but so far nobody from the tirerack site has responded.

Best to check out www.toyo.com &

www.falkentire.com for dealers in your area.

Good Luck!

Last edited by Lexusfreak; 12-07-04 at 06:42 AM.
Old 12-07-04, 09:03 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by squarehat
Thanks for the input, guys. The Goodyears with Tripletread caught my eye--though I'm guessing that if they are available in a 205/65-VR15, they won't be cheap. I don't know if anybody in the Cleveland metropolitan area sells Toyo's--I've heard very good things about the Proxes TPT's on this site. I guess I could always go through Tire Rack and search the site for a TR authorized installer near me that would accept a drop-shipment at their shop.

I also saw the MXV4+'s at BJ's Wholesale tonight for $137 each for the proper V-rated version. I love the quietness of my MVX4+ at freeway speeds, but not necessarily the constant squealing on turns (my current ones are H-rated, not sure if the V-rating would help handling at all). They're also not the best all-season tires I've driven on in snow, either. So, unless I exhaust all other options, I doubt I'll buy the Michelins.
I wanted to get a V-rated tire on my LS, so it was either $90 for ContiExtremeContacts at America's Tire, or $150 for MXV4 Plus at Costco. I went with the former choice.

The Goodyear Assurance TripleTred is a T-rated tire. I was considering those for my mom's car, until America's Tire had a $60 MIR for any Michelin, and so I went with the HydroEdges instead...
Old 12-08-04, 06:22 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

Originally posted by nthach
I wanted to get a V-rated tire on my LS, so it was either $90 for ContiExtremeContacts at America's Tire, or $150 for MXV4 Plus at Costco. I went with the former choice.

The Goodyear Assurance TripleTred is a T-rated tire. I was considering those for my mom's car, until America's Tire had a $60 MIR for any Michelin, and so I went with the HydroEdges instead...
You can get the Goodyear Triple Tread in 'H' speed rated applications.......just depends on the size. They have also got very good reviews & have a very long mileage warranty....80,000 miles.
Old 12-08-04, 03:00 PM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Interestingly enough, the ContiExtremeContact was my original pick--seemed to be a good tire at a good price, and I believe it's used as an OEM tire on some BMW and Mercedes vehicles. I got concerned looking at some of the Continental-bashing on this site, and I had several relatives mention how much they liked the Eagle RS-A, hence my shift from Continental to Goodyear.

When I use the tire finder on Goodyear's website, it only shows a 'T' rating for the TripleTread in the ES's size (205/65-15). It must not take into account manufacturer's speed rating specification. Perhaps the H rated version is only available in slightly more aggressive (60 and 55 series) profiles.
Old 12-08-04, 05:21 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Originally posted by squarehat
Interestingly enough, the ContiExtremeContact was my original pick--seemed to be a good tire at a good price, and I believe it's used as an OEM tire on some BMW and Mercedes vehicles. I got concerned looking at some of the Continental-bashing on this site, and I had several relatives mention how much they liked the Eagle RS-A, hence my shift from Continental to Goodyear.

When I use the tire finder on Goodyear's website, it only shows a 'T' rating for the TripleTread in the ES's size (205/65-15). It must not take into account manufacturer's speed rating specification. Perhaps the H rated version is only available in slightly more aggressive (60 and 55 series) profiles.
I think you are correct square....but the T speed rating is still good for 118 MPH so you will have a more softer ride. You will be able to get a real good set of the Falkens Ziex ZE-512 with a 60,000 mile warranty for dirt cheap & they are awesome!! One of the best values for the money & are available in your choice of H OR V speed ratings!

I know I can get the Goodyear Triple Treads in an H rated application in the 205 60 16 size.

www.falkentire.com
Old 12-09-04, 10:17 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Lexusfreak
You can get the Goodyear Triple Tread in 'H' speed rated applications.......just depends on the size. They have also got very good reviews & have a very long mileage warranty....80,000 miles.
the Michelin HydroEdge has a 90,000 mile warranty
Old 12-10-04, 06:40 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

the Michelin HydroEdge has a 90,000 mile warranty
I recomended the Michelin Hydroedge last winter to my sister-in-law......she loves them & no sign of any wear yet either......looks like they are going to last for years!