Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Winter tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-04, 01:56 PM
baggio2000
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter tires

Hey guys,

Winter is around the corner and I'm looking to buy some winter tires for my 1995 SC300. I narrowed it down to 2 tires, but can't decide which. Maybe you guys can help me out. Which would you recommend?

1. Pirelli Winter 210 SnowSport
2. Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2

I really need your guys' help because I dont know anything about snow tires. What is the main difference between those 2? I live in Michigan, so the winters here get pretty severe. ..well have a great day, everybody! Thanks in advance

Last edited by baggio2000; 11-21-04 at 01:57 PM.
Old 11-21-04, 06:13 PM
slawek65
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Go to www.tirerack.com and You have all info You needed.
Old 11-21-04, 06:43 PM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Re: Winter tires

Originally posted by baggio2000
Hey guys,

Winter is around the corner and I'm looking to buy some winter tires for my 1995 SC300. I narrowed it down to 2 tires, but can't decide which. Maybe you guys can help me out. Which would you recommend?

I really need your guys' help because I dont know anything about snow tires. What is the main difference between those 2? I live in Michigan, so the winters here get pretty severe. ..well have a great day, everybody! Thanks in advance

no no get blizzaks!...

CEO
Old 11-21-04, 07:04 PM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Winter tires

Originally posted by baggio2000
Hey guys,

I suggest the new Michelin X-Ice Tires. They are the newest winter tires with the newest winter technology in them.
Old 11-22-04, 02:59 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

baggio, what is the exact size you need? The Michelin X-Ice are the replacements for the Alpin line of winter tires.....Toyo also makes excellent tires for winter (some actually have walnut shells made into the rubber compound)......Check out www.toyo.com for more info. Good Luck!
Old 11-22-04, 03:03 PM
Brandon@TR
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Performance vs. Studless Ice and Snow

It sounds like you want a more aggressive studless ice and snow but you are asking about performance winter tires. Performance winter tires give up snow and ice traction to get performance.

Last edited by Brandon@TR; 11-22-04 at 03:04 PM.
Old 11-22-04, 11:42 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

This is true.....they have yet to invent the "perfect" all season OR winter tire yet lol.

Brandon, any comments from tirerack on another tire posting in this forum with regards to Falken tires? have a look as some members are a bit peeved that tirerack dosen't carry the brand (as well as Toyo) and think they should as the Falken Ziex ZE-512 were first overall in a recent consumer reports test of 18 - 20 all season performance tires. Armed with that kind of information, these tires would be flying off your shelves.

Last edited by Lexusfreak; 11-22-04 at 11:46 PM.
Old 11-23-04, 02:11 PM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Originally posted by Lexusfreak
This is true.....they have yet to invent the "perfect" all season OR winter tire yet lol.

Brandon, any comments from tirerack on another tire posting in this forum with regards to Falken tires? have a look as some members are a bit peeved that tirerack dosen't carry the brand (as well as Toyo) and think they should as the Falken Ziex ZE-512 were first overall in a recent consumer reports test of 18 - 20 all season performance tires. Armed with that kind of information, these tires would be flying off your shelves.

yes and start carrying TOYO's!....

CEO
Old 11-24-04, 10:52 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

At least if you did carry both Toyo & Falken's......you would not loose repeat buyers that want to try a new brand....plus you will no doubt get many new customers across the entire range of tires from economical to top range categories. It's smart & makes good business sense!
Old 11-27-04, 03:39 PM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Originally posted by Lexusfreak
At least if you did carry both Toyo & Falken's......you would not loose repeat buyers that want to try a new brand....plus you will no doubt get many new customers across the entire range of tires from economical to top range categories. It's smart & makes good business sense!
i agree...why limit yourself?

CEO
Old 11-29-04, 01:15 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Exactly!

Brandon, any chance we could see Tirerack carrying these 2 tire brands in the near future?
Old 12-02-04, 02:18 PM
Brandon@TR
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Toyo

Lexusfreak I appreciate your input. It is obvious by your posts that you are a big fan of Toyo tires, almost every post you make here mentions them. I appreciate your enthusiasm. We have certainly considered carrying both Toyo and Falken in the past but have decided they don't work with our current line up. I don't think they will be added any time soon but you never know.
Old 12-08-04, 07:35 AM
jag_600
Driver

I live outside of Cleveland and the weather gets bad here in the winter. I drive my SC year-round and put on Goodyear Eagle GW3's in the winter. The GW3's make winter driving here uneventful as long as you can avoid the idiots

I did TRY my first winter with the OEM GT+4's , felt like I deserved a trophy everytime I was able to make it home in one piece.
Old 12-08-04, 02:13 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

The GT+4's are an old tire aren't they? A dinasour in the tire business? Or have they 'updated' them recently?
Old 12-08-04, 03:08 PM
jag_600
Driver

You can still get the GT +4's , they are/were the OEM fitment and still recommended by Lexus dealers.

Quick Reply: Winter tires