Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Have I made a tire mistake?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-04, 08:42 PM
XZLR8
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Have I made a tire mistake?

While my SC was in for the 5,000 mile service, I had them go ahead and put the OEM rims back on with Bridgestone Blizzaks for the winter. Previously, I have been running the OEM runflats with aftermarket 18" rims. I've not been thrilled with the RFs and had been considering A/S tires, but never made the change since I knew I was probably also going to need winter tires.

So, my wife picked the car up and brought it home tonight since I had a late meeting. I hated seeing the OEM rims back on the car. Strike one. Then, I took it for a spin. I know that snow tires handle differently as I have had them on other cars, but they have really changed the whole feel of the SC. Plus (or am I hallucinating?) my steering feels very loose all of the sudden.

My goal wasn't to have a car that I could snowmobile in. I just wanted to make sure that if we were out in the SC this winter and it started to snow, we would be able to get home without get stranded. We live in Ohio, so we're not talking about feet of snow. We have other vehicles, so I have other options, but I won't be garaging the SC either. Did I make a mistake by going with the Blizzaks? Has anyone used them in the past and liked them? Someone tell me I didn't just drop a grand that I'm going to regret....
Old 11-16-04, 05:11 AM
Tjz
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

LOL, you are making me laugh. I feel for you. I just had RF blizzaks put on my SC and said the same thing you did. The steering is looser, the bumps are rougher(if that is possible), almost dangerous to drive. I also experience floating on the highway.

Well, after 500 miles all of these symptoms are much less pronounced. Not great but not as noticeable. These mothers better get me through 2 feet of snow to have to put up with the crappy handling.

Oh well for the love of the car. Although I am starting to lose the Lust after 2 years. If only they would fix the suspension and handling.

Good Luck

TjZ
Old 11-16-04, 07:18 AM
XZLR8
Driver

Well, at least I'm not hallucinating? I guess that's some small comfort.

Do you think other winter tires (non-RF, perhaps) might have been better and given less of this loose/floating feeling? Maybe I'll get used to it, but it does feel almost unsafe. Certainly not what I was hoping for.

Ugh.
Old 11-17-04, 02:33 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Red face

Not 100% sure about non RF winter tires, but winter rubber generally is not the same as A/S tires as they have a totally different rubber compound to be much more flexable for the freezing temperatures we experence in the winter months. This allows proper grip especially on icy roads.....if the tire can't flex, it's going to slip all over the place (many A/S tires suffer from this problem when it's EXTREMELY cold out). Generally too, the winter tires are not the same speed rating as summer or A/S tires....usually a couple speed rating lower because who can do 100 MPH in a blinding snow or freezing rain storm? They are built to get you thru horrendous weather, not corner like the car is on rails.
Have a look at www.tirerack.com for more in depth info & goo luck!

Last edited by Lexusfreak; 11-17-04 at 02:35 AM.
Old 11-17-04, 12:24 PM
XZLR8
Driver

Originally posted by Lexusfreak
Not 100% sure about non RF winter tires, but winter rubber generally is not the same as A/S tires as they have a totally different rubber compound to be much more flexable for the freezing temperatures we experence in the winter months. This allows proper grip especially on icy roads.....if the tire can't flex, it's going to slip all over the place (many A/S tires suffer from this problem when it's EXTREMELY cold out). Generally too, the winter tires are not the same speed rating as summer or A/S tires....usually a couple speed rating lower because who can do 100 MPH in a blinding snow or freezing rain storm? They are built to get you thru horrendous weather, not corner like the car is on rails.
Have a look at www.tirerack.com for more in depth info & goo luck!
Thanks for the feedback.

I've had snow tires on numerous BMWs in the past, so I understand the changes in performance and handling. The changes with the Blizzak RFs was far more substantial than anything I have experienced in the past, however. I have never experienced the change in steering feel (far more loose) or the "float" that Tjz noted. It certainly was disconcerting.

I did have the dealer put the Blizzaks back on my aftermarket rims and check the alignment. That seems to have helped. There is still increased road noise and roughness on dry pavement, but I know some of that is to be expected. I'm hoping that the steering feel will level out somewhat. And, I hope the payoff will be improved handling in the snow. It better damn well snow this year.

My guess is that this can be attributed to the tires being RFs instead of just traditional snow tires. I wasn't overly thrilled with the OEM RFs, so it would make sense that winter RFs wouldn't be my first choice either. I guess I'll know more once we have our first snow.

Thanks for your input, gentlemen. I'm always open to additional comments.
Old 11-18-04, 02:49 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

It could be the fact that your winter tires are RF's.....I've never owned RF's before in either all season or winter rubber personally, but I would assume that the RF are at least part of the factor you described since they are a totally different in the way they are constructed compared to conventional tires.
Old 12-12-04, 06:26 AM
Lex12
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also just had Bridgestone RF Blizzaks installed (using the OE rims). My impression so far is that there is minimal difference from the Dunlop run flats I was driving on before. A little rougher ride, but no major change in handling or steering.
Old 12-13-04, 08:28 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

You're never going to have the same feel with winter tires. I've been running Pirelli Wintersport 210's for the last few years and I love 'em, they go well in snow. But I just take it easier between November and March. All hell breaks loose when I get my Michelins back on in the spring...!!!
Old 12-15-04, 07:18 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

I personally don't feel the tire makers have 'perfected' the RF tire (all season, winter or otherwise) yet. I'd stick with an excellent 'conventional' tire as your best bet.....many bug's still to work out with RF's.
Old 12-15-04, 01:55 PM
Brandon@TR
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Performance

A performance winter tire would probably be a better choice for the type of driving you describe. Unfortunately, there aren't any in a runflat option.
Old 12-16-04, 05:17 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool Re: Performance

Originally posted by Brandon@TR
A performance winter tire would probably be a better choice for the type of driving you describe. Unfortunately, there aren't any in a runflat option.
Go for the conventional performance winter tire then.
Old 12-16-04, 10:52 PM
KRGS4
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My old Blizzzak set =felt like my Camry

My new Dunlop Sport M3s=feel like my Pilot Sport A/S at highway speeds.

They gave me great traction in 4.5 inches of snow+I have taken them up to 120 on dry pavement...

They are great tires.
Old 12-17-04, 05:59 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

I loved my pilot sport A/S tires when I had my Maxima.......with those tires (as well as my current Toyo's) I never felt the need for winter rubber they were that good in the snow & ice.
Old 12-17-04, 06:13 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Pilot Sport A/S are awesome tires, even in snow, when they're new. They're always great in the dry, but they have a problem with premature wearing of the center rib, since the compound there is designed for wet weather traction and is soft. Once that happens, they're not as good in the snow.
Old 12-17-04, 05:28 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Originally posted by engin_ear
Pilot Sport A/S are awesome tires, even in snow, when they're new. They're always great in the dry, but they have a problem with premature wearing of the center rib, since the compound there is designed for wet weather traction and is soft. Once that happens, they're not as good in the snow.
agreed! They were bloody expensive too!