Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Yet another FIRST EVER on CL??? (got new Dronell BR 20" wheels)

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-04, 02:59 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Yikes, if those really are 5x120 (and not 5x114.3, like the Lexus is), you have serious safety issuses there- just because they can physically bolt on does not mean it is a proper fit!

These wheels were likely intended for a BMW 5 or 7 series. The 7-Series uses a 14mm bolt, which is why the lug holes are large enough to physically fit over your 12mm Lexus studs which are 5x114.3. The 12x1.5 conical lug bolts are CERTAINLY not seated correctly in these wheels. If you torqued them down, you are putting SIGNIFICANT bending loads on the OE Lexus wheel studs. The stresses placed upon the studs could be enough to break them as they fatigue.

The car looks good- but I would suggest taking those wheels off immediately and replacing all the OE Lexus wheel studs. AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. I have to question the integrity of any wheel shop that recommends or condones this practice- they are jeapordizing your safety and the safety of others (I wouldn't want to be the victim of a runaway wheel/tire that has parted company with your car!)

Last edited by SoCalSC4; 11-07-04 at 03:00 PM.
Old 11-07-04, 03:07 PM
Shyne
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by SoCalSC4
Yikes, if those really are 5x120 (and not 5x114.3, like the Lexus is), you have serious safety issuses there- just because they can physically bolt on does not mean it is a proper fit!

These wheels were likely intended for a BMW 5 or 7 series. The 7-Series uses a 14mm bolt, which is why the lug holes are large enough to physically fit over your 12mm Lexus studs which are 5x114.3. The 12x1.5 conical lug bolts are CERTAINLY not seated correctly in these wheels. If you torqued them down, you are putting SIGNIFICANT bending loads on the OE Lexus wheel studs. The stresses placed upon the studs could be enough to break them as they fatigue.

The car looks good- but I would suggest taking those wheels off immediately and replacing all the OE Lexus wheel studs. AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. I have to question the integrity of any wheel shop that recommends or condones this practice- they are jeapordizing your safety and the safety of others (I wouldn't want to be the victim of a runaway wheel/tire that has parted company with your car!)

i don' know much about the wheel fitment besides it looks great...but, it sounds like he knows what he is talking about...i would check into it though man because you don't want to get hurt...Shyne
Old 11-07-04, 05:00 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally posted by Shyne
i don' know much about the wheel fitment besides it looks great...but, it sounds like he knows what he is talking about...i would check into it though man because you don't want to get hurt...Shyne
Well 'he' works for HRE so he knows everything about wheel fitment!
Old 11-07-04, 07:47 PM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am sorry. It was 5x112, not 5x120. Like I said it was a mercedes PCD and not BMW. I got confused between the two. The shop did tell me that the difference is only around 2mm from stock aristo pcd. And the owners of this shop have been my friends for life. I know that probably has got nothing to do with their business practices, but I trust them wholeheartedly and they are very very well known in the area.

Now, with 5x112 PCD, would I still have the same problems as you mentioned above? Your knowledgable input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 11-07-04, 08:07 PM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Hameed
Very very nice, but how come you only have a 245 size tire in the rear???
I needed the stretched tires coz of the 1-inch I am gaining with the bigger wheel and I still want to dump the car.
Old 11-07-04, 11:10 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally posted by jtanoyo1
I am sorry. It was 5x112, not 5x120. Like I said it was a mercedes PCD and not BMW. I got confused between the two. The shop did tell me that the difference is only around 2mm from stock aristo pcd. And the owners of this shop have been my friends for life. I know that probably has got nothing to do with their business practices, but I trust them wholeheartedly and they are very very well known in the area.

Now, with 5x112 PCD, would I still have the same problems as you mentioned above? Your knowledgable input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
i could be wrong (somehow i never got this right perfectly), but isn't that 5x112 the same as 5x120?

and man, i know you trust your friend a lot, but bob makes wheels just how i see it. if something doesn't fit perfectly, then it doesn't. it's just like saying if a certain brakes calipers it doesn't fit on your car perfectly, it's off a little and if you hammer it in, it will fit. personally i would avoid that.

just my 2 cents of course
Old 11-07-04, 11:11 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

veyr interesting into there bob. i guess the larger bolt holes must be why the lug nuts fits right in huh? and jon, consider this a warning from a guy who knows very well what he's talking about
Old 11-07-04, 11:12 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by Shyne
haha of course he knows what he's talking about, he's one of the top guys in wheels manufacturing
Old 11-08-04, 12:18 AM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by rominl
i could be wrong (somehow i never got this right perfectly), but isn't that 5x112 the same as 5x120?

and man, i know you trust your friend a lot, but bob makes wheels just how i see it. if something doesn't fit perfectly, then it doesn't. it's just like saying if a certain brakes calipers it doesn't fit on your car perfectly, it's off a little and if you hammer it in, it will fit. personally i would avoid that.

just my 2 cents of course
Err no...112 would be only 2.3mm smaller from stock Toyota PCD, which wouldn't matter if the holes on the wheels are large to begin with. 120 would be 5.7mm larger than stock Toyota PCD which would account what Bob meant with having to bend the studs to make them fit. I understood his concerns and even went back to my car to take off the wheels and put back on and I really don't see how the 2.3mm difference could matter in any way possible.

Like I said, as long as I am not bending any studs, putting any unneeded additional stress on any parts of the wheels, I really don't see how this could be a problem.

But thanks for the input, Bob and Henry. It's very important for me and greatly appreciated.
Old 11-08-04, 06:26 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by jtanoyo1
Err no...112 would be only 2.3mm smaller from stock Toyota PCD, which wouldn't matter if the holes on the wheels are large to begin with. 120 would be 5.7mm larger than stock Toyota PCD which would account what Bob meant with having to bend the studs to make them fit. I understood his concerns and even went back to my car to take off the wheels and put back on and I really don't see how the 2.3mm difference could matter in any way possible.

Like I said, as long as I am not bending any studs, putting any unneeded additional stress on any parts of the wheels, I really don't see how this could be a problem.

But thanks for the input, Bob and Henry. It's very important for me and greatly appreciated.
man thats like 1/10 of an inch, mayb less. i can't imagine this being a problem. a lot of people get wheels redrilled to fit, these fit without re-drilling so as long as they aren't bending anything u should b fine imo.
Old 11-08-04, 07:29 AM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by bluelex
man thats like 1/10 of an inch, mayb less. i can't imagine this being a problem. a lot of people get wheels redrilled to fit, these fit without re-drilling so as long as they aren't bending anything u should b fine imo.
My point exactly. I was so paranoid after what Bob said that I went home (in the middle of work!) to take off a wheel, check the studs and then put it back on and make sure that nothing is getting bent out of shape. Seriously, the wheel goes back on like it's meant to be on the car. There was absolutely nothing that got forced or bent or hammered in or whatever.....

....I really doubt there would be a problem. Besides, a lot of folks on Club Aristo put on Carlsson, Lorinser and Brabus wheels all the time and they seem fine with it. (even the 600hp aristos!)
Old 11-08-04, 07:44 AM
DPRSupra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

please send your old AC's to

Pimp Jeff's Ride in California

thanks...

car looks great
Old 11-08-04, 08:58 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by bluelex
i guess bob wasn't talking about always failure, but even if it's 1 in a 100 then it's bad enough. it's just like why you have to tighten the lug nuts in a star shape fashion. i bad A LOT of people don't do it that way, but it's ok so far. however if one person do it 1mm off and the whole wheel would be off and it could be dangerous
Old 11-08-04, 10:44 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

5x112 to 5x114.3 may not seem like a big deal- perhaps this wouldn't cause a catastrophic failure, but it it certainly not right. I would NEVER do this on my car. Basically, the conical wheel nuts have a tapered seat- this is essentially like driving a chisel into the wheel, and it does produce stresses on the wheel studs and the wheels. I'd be interested to see what Lexus Corporate has to say about this.
Old 11-08-04, 10:46 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

5x112 to 5x114.3 may not seem like a big deal- perhaps this wouldn't cause a catastrophic failure, but it it certainly not right. I would NEVER do this on my car. Basically, the conical wheel nuts have a tapered seat- this is essentially like driving a chisel into the wheel, and it does produce stresses on the wheel studs and the wheels. I'd be interested to see what Lexus Corporate has to say about this.
Jon, listen to Bob, he knows what he is talking about!!!!!

Quick Reply: Yet another FIRST EVER on CL??? (got new Dronell BR 20" wheels)