Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Michellin Pilot Sport A/S vs. Pirelli PZero Nero M&S

Old 10-26-04, 02:22 PM
APU6speed
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Michellin Pilot Sport A/S vs. Pirelli PZero Nero M&S

I'm looking for a set of ultra-high performance all-season tires for my GS (18x9, 245/40/18 and 18x10, 275/35/18) and I've narrowed the choices down to the Pirelli PZero Nero M&S or the Michellin Pilot Sport A/S. These tires are rated #1 and #2, respectively, on TireRack's customer survey. Can anyone give me feedback on both these tires, especially if you have experience using both. My priorities are (1) ride comfort/noise levels, (2) performance and (3) treadlife (although both have a tread rating of 400 so there might not be any difference between the two).

Also, what PSI should I inflate the tires to for a good balance of maximum rim protection, ride comfort and tire wear.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 10-26-04, 09:29 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts
Default Re: Michellin Pilot Sport A/S vs. Pirelli PZero Nero M&S

Originally posted by Mike-GS400
I'm looking for a set of ultra-high performance all-season tires for my GS (18x9, 245/40/18 and 18x10, 275/35/18) and I've narrowed the choices down to the Pirelli PZero Nero M&S or the Michellin Pilot Sport A/S. These tires are rated #1 and #2, respectively, on TireRack's customer survey. Can anyone give me feedback on both these tires, especially if you have experience using both. My priorities are (1) ride comfort/noise levels, (2) performance and (3) treadlife (although both have a tread rating of 400 so there might not be any difference between the two).

Also, what PSI should I inflate the tires to for a good balance of maximum rim protection, ride comfort and tire wear.

Thanks,
Mike
for psi i think 38 is a good number, just me though

for the tires, i would think the pilot sport to be better tires. but they are quite a bit more expensive too. both are very comfortable tires, and i think the pilot has better performance.
Old 10-27-04, 09:16 AM
Brandon@TR
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Pilot tire is going to be a little better in just about every category but is usually more expensive making the Pirelli an excellent value. I would inflate to the pressure recommended on the placard on the vehicle.
Old 10-27-04, 11:28 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I love my pilot a/s. my psi was 48 at one point...to combat potholes....now its at 40. Rom rode in my car in September...i think he agrees its pretty quiet for rock solid performance tires...LOL.

Traction is the best and so far, no visible sign of treadwear.

Pete
Old 10-27-04, 12:29 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally posted by PHML
I love my pilot a/s. my psi was 48 at one point...to combat potholes....now its at 40. Rom rode in my car in September...i think he agrees its pretty quiet for rock solid performance tires...LOL.

Traction is the best and so far, no visible sign of treadwear.

Pete
yup, with ltuned suspenion pete's car rides very well
Old 10-28-04, 08:55 AM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Michellin Pilot Sport A/S vs. Pirelli PZero Nero M&S

Originally posted by Mike-GS400

Thanks,
Mike
IMO, I don't think the increase in performance with the Michelins justifies the substantially higher price. They average $100 more per tire. I don't drive hard enough, frequently enough to need that extra performance. Plus I like the idea of getting 3 Pirellis for the price of 2 Michelins. BUT, at least the Michelins are in stock. I myself am trying to wait for 245/40/18s (Pirellis) to get back in stock. I've been told Nov. at the earliest for that size. If your tires can't last that long, then you may not have that choice.

Just my $.02,
Michael
Old 10-28-04, 03:51 PM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

Arrow

I've had the Michelins on my '02 Honda Odyssey in size 235/50 17 for about 30k miles (yes, they're due for replacement).
The only real negative-other than cost- is that they have begun to cause the van to pull to the right quite severely. This has been going on for some time and is getting worse. Yes, I've checked the alignment etc. and it comes down to the tires being the culprit. When I swap the front two side to side it cancels out the pulling even though the tires are now rotating "backwards". I have since read numerous posts about this phenomena, to the point where Michelin is actually replacing tires due to customer complaints.
Obviously, not everyone has this problem and they are excellent tires in other aspects.
My van is lowered on H&R springs, KYB gas shocks and rear Airlift airbags (to help stiffen up the rear suspension) and with these tires, it handles extremely well for a minivan!
You might want to look into this concern before deciding; I am going with the Pirelli P-Zero Neros this time in size 235/55 17 (slightly taller).