Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

96 LS400 Tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-04, 07:27 AM
thekat
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 LS400 Tires

Looking to replace tires on my 96...
I have the OEM wheels and OEM tire size is
225/60-16..
Currently I have Yokahoma Avid V4 that are about 4 years old..

I don't have any plans to put aftermarket wheels on this since it is a
daily driver...

I have about decided on the Michelin HydorEdge...

From my searching it looks like a 235/60-16 would fit without any issues.. but would
like to put a wider tire than stock and not sacrifce the ride or rub

Thanks for any suggestions..
Old 10-11-04, 09:00 PM
audphile1
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had 96 LS400. I replaced the michelins that were on it with Dunlop SP Sport A2. Great handling improvement and wet performance, but they lasted only about 15000 miles. The car was misalligned, but I later learned that these particular dunlop tires are not known to last long anyway, so 15000 miles is basically what you should expect from them. I can recommend them to you for handling, but for tread life, they suck. Another one that is good is continental contiextremecontact. I just installed these on my LS430. I drove for about 200 miles since installation, but like them a lot so far. Can't speak for their treadlife, but they stick to the road like glue. Got very good ratings on tirerack.com. Also, I would suggest you stick to the original size tire. 235 on the 16" rim with a side wall as tall as 60 will flex a lot on turns. Just don't think it would handle that good. Contiextremecontact tires actually look great too, since they have sort of an agressive tread design that some people hate, but I like it a lot. Looks great I think. They won't look thin on the LS since they have that tread design that kind of makes them look a little wider then they really are. Check it out on tirerack http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

I had Michelin Energy tirers prior to continental. They were OK, not great. In the rain however they hydroplane a lot. Also they are a little hard. That's why they are known to lastlong, but handle like crap. If you don't drive like a maniac, you'll probably do fine with the Michelin Energy, but in the rain, I can not recommend them because they just don't make you feel safe behind the wheel when the roads are wet.
Also, Dunlop SP Sport 500 should be pretty good. But again, you get the shorter treadlife in exchange for better handling. One other thing. If you decide to go with 235 instead of 225, the tires should probably be 235/55/16, just to be closer to the original overall diameter of the wheel. 235/60 is too tall of a sidewall. I think it will even look odd, so again, I would recommend replacing the tires with a proper size of 225/60/16. Good luck.

Last edited by audphile1; 10-11-04 at 09:05 PM.
Old 10-26-04, 01:56 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

What speed rating does your LS require kat? I'm not sure the Hydroedge fit your requirements (only 'T' speed rated). The ones I would seriously consider would be:

Toyo Proxes TPT's (H or V speed)

Falken Ziex ZE-512 (H or V rated)

Yokohama Avid H4S (H rated)
Old 10-26-04, 01:01 PM
thekat
Driver School Candidate

guys..
thanks for the replies.. do appreciate it..

Looks like I am going with the
Falken Ziex ZE-512 V rated.. the price is right and these tires
are getting good reviews..

Consumer Reports also gave these top rating...
Old 11-11-04, 01:52 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

I put the Falken's on my wife's car kat, they are an EXCELLENT tire & keep us posted how they perform for your LS! Wise choice!!
Old 11-11-04, 07:19 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have ContiExtremeContacts on my LS. it has improved the steering, it's lighter now...
Old 11-22-04, 03:50 PM
thekat
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by Lexusfreak
I put the Falken's on my wife's car kat, they are an EXCELLENT tire & keep us posted how they perform for your LS! Wise choice!!
Just put the Falken's on this past weekend.. and they are great !!!

Glad I didn't spend twice as much on Michelins..

again thanks for the input..
Old 11-22-04, 11:41 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Thumbs up

Enjoy kat!! They will provide fantastic performance especially in heavy rain!! The jury is still out on snow as we have had none yet (I don't think you folks get very much snow if any?) but should you, they are very highly rated for great traction for an all season performance tire. One more thing, your Falken's should be a 'directional' tire which means no "cris cross" when rotating.....just back to front & front to back on the same side of the car. Did you get the 'H' or 'V' speed rated kat?
Old 02-02-05, 06:10 PM
thekat
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexusfreak
Enjoy kat!! They will provide fantastic performance especially in heavy rain!! The jury is still out on snow as we have had none yet (I don't think you folks get very much snow if any?) but should you, they are very highly rated for great traction for an all season performance tire. One more thing, your Falken's should be a 'directional' tire which means no "cris cross" when rotating.....just back to front & front to back on the same side of the car. Did you get the 'H' or 'V' speed rated kat?
Just to report back.. 2 months and these tires are great..
Good handling and very quite..
Oh.. LF.. V-Rated..

Thanks to all for the suggestion..
Old 02-02-05, 11:01 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Wink

Excellent!