Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

Which Toyo Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-04, 08:30 PM
gcrim21
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Which Toyo Tires?

I want to replace the Goodyear Invicta tires on my wife's 2003 ES. I would like to try a set of Toyo tires on it. However, when checking to see what was available in tire size 215-60R16 all I can find is a Toyo PROXES TPT 95V and a 800 Ultra 94T and 96T. I am dissappointed that only a "V" rating and "T" rating is all that is available in this particular tire size. I prefer an "H" rated tire but I cannot find that particular designated tire in a 215-60R16 on TOYO's website. Oh I know the ES came equipped with a high performance "V" rated tire and the ES is certainly not a high performance car. I do know "H" rated tires have a softer ride than "V" rated tires and "H's" are a stronger tire that a "T" rated.

If anyone has experience with TOYO TIRES on the ES please respond.

Thanks,
GCrim21
Old 09-20-04, 09:13 AM
tonytony
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check it out...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hreadid=132342
Old 09-20-04, 02:22 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks tony!
Old 09-21-04, 10:03 AM
gcrim21
Driver

Default Re: "V" rated tires

Why would anyone need a "V" rated tire when they are never going to drive that fast?
I don't have a speed rating chart handy, but I believe a "V" rated tire has a speed rating of 149 mph and an "H" rated up to 130 or so mph and "T" rated at 112 max mph. I know the "V" rated tires have more plies which translates to more 'road feel' to feel more bumps on a bumpy road. I just can't justify paying extra money for a high performance "V" rated tire to put on a 2003 ES when it is definitely not a high performance car. The highest speed we ever drive is 80 mph and that's when we are on the interstate and do not have the cruise control engaged and not paying attention to how fast we are traveling.

Talking about highway speeds, that ES just runs and handles better at 80 mph than 70 for some reason. Seems that is the speed it wants to 'settle' into on the interstate. I had a Ford LTD II one time and 75 mph was its' 'natural' highway speed that it handled better at. That was back in the days of 55 mph speed limits on interstate here in Texas. What a drag. Talk about making you drowsy and for a boring drive anywhere, that was tough.

GCrim21
Old 09-21-04, 11:43 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

The higher speed rating isn't that much more expensive (it depends on which brand & model of tire you end up choosing). Besides, (at least for my 01 ES) it specifically states that I replace the tires with "V" speed rated tires because that what the Lexus engineers have designed & built the car to ride on. I agree that H rated should be good enough but it cost me $3.00 extra per tire for V rated over H rated.....it's a no brainer as the tire is more reinforced. Check your sticker on the drivers door jamb to see what speed rating your ES calls for & I would suggest to follow what Lexus say's. Just my 2 cents. double check it in the owners manual as well.

Last edited by Lexusfreak; 09-21-04 at 11:45 AM.
Old 09-22-04, 01:00 PM
gcrim21
Driver

Default Re: "V" rated tires

I know that Lexus owner's manual and it's on the door post for "V" rated tires. However, a 2003 ES300 is definitely NOT a high performance vehicle. I just prefer an "H" rated tire because it is definitely 'strong' enough for any driving we will ever do and a "V" rated tire also has a nylon belt in the tread and that alone makes it a rougher riding tire. I do not like tires with nylon in them regardless of how much extra strength it adds. The only reason I can deduct for Lexus putting "V" rated tires on the ES is there is more 'mark-up' on "V" rated tires than "H" rated and lower rated tires and Lexus auto dealers are now also selling tires. This info is from a big long time tire dealer that I have purchased tires from for 50 years. He sells several different brands of tires including TOYO tires.

GCrim21
Old 09-22-04, 06:00 PM
gcrim21
Driver

Default Re: Michelin Tires

Lexusfreak, did you say in an earlier post that you have owned Michelin MXV4 Energy Plus's and they are not as smooth as TOYO's?
Old 09-23-04, 06:21 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Yes gc, I had Michelim MXV4's before & they are not as smooth riding or as good a tire overall as the Toyo Proxes TPT's (same treadwear, traction & temp ratings & MUCH more expensive than Toyo). I found them to be much better as well in bad weather conditions...the Michelins made me nervous. The 'H' speed rating will be fine no doubt & I beleive you can get the Toyo's in either speed rating. Funny thing is, the Toyo's (V rated) ride more comfortably than the V rated MXV4's for some reason & I have the AVS suspension system so I don't notice any harsher ride or compromise in ride quality.
Old 09-23-04, 06:49 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

gc, have a look at my other response of your posting of Toyo tires....I have an additional suggestion for another tire in an H speed rating.....the Yokohama Avid H4S.
Old 09-24-04, 04:31 PM
gcrim21
Driver

Default Re: other post

Yes Lexusfreak,

I did see your other post concerning Yokohoma's and thanks.
I have to admit that I have been judging all "V" tires smoothness by the way the "V" rated Michelin MXV4 Energy Plus tires were for firmness. I tried a set of the Michelin "V" rated once and retuned them to the tire store where I purchased them because they were not as smooth as the previouisly owned "H" rated in the same tire. I then had a set of the "H" rated ones installed.

The "V" rated 205-60R15 Michelin Energy Plus for a set of four were $753.00 'ready to roll' at Discount Tire Store. I paid $592.00 'ready to roll' price including rotation and balancing every 5,000 miles at an independent tire store for a set of four. I bought two sets over a period of time for my wife's Avalon she had before we purchased the 2003 ES300. This same tire store owner told me he would swap four 215-60R16 Michelin Energy Plus for $428.00 and the Goodyear Invicta tires that came on the car and has 3,000 miles on them. I do not like those Goodyear's. To me they are rags. I have never been a Goodyear, Firstone or UniRoyal man. I've had Firestones and Uniroyal's both to just come apart while driving down the road. Fortunately no accidents as a result. I had Uniroyal's come apart on two different cars.

GCrim21
Old 09-24-04, 04:32 PM
gcrim21
Driver

Default Re: Yokohoma Tires

Yes Lexusfreak,

I did see your other post concerning Yokohoma's and thanks.
I have to admit that I have been judging all "V" tires smoothness by the way the "V" rated Michelin MXV4 Energy Plus tires were for firmness. I tried a set of the Michelin "V" rated once and retuned them to the tire store where I purchased them because they were not as smooth as the previouisly owned "H" rated in the same tire. I then had a set of the "H" rated ones installed.

The "V" rated 205-60R15 Michelin Energy Plus for a set of four were $753.00 'ready to roll' at Discount Tire Store. I paid $592.00 'ready to roll' price including rotation and balancing every 5,000 miles at an independent tire store for a set of four. I bought two sets over a period of time for my wife's Avalon she had before we purchased the 2003 ES300. This same tire store owner told me he would swap four 215-60R16 Michelin Energy Plus for $428.00 and the Goodyear Invicta tires that came on the car and has 3,000 miles on them. I do not like those Goodyear's. To me they are rags. I have never been a Goodyear, Firstone or UniRoyal man. I've had Firestones and Uniroyal's both to just come apart while driving down the road. Fortunately no accidents as a result. I had Uniroyal's come apart on two different cars.

GCrim21